I don't think this is "bullying"

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/0...dent-who-says-a-catholic-teacher-bullied-her/

About two dozen protesters waved signs outside the Catholic school board Friday in support of a gay student who says she was bullied by a teacher.

Brooke Mulligan, 18, has alleged a religion teacher at St. Thomas of Villanova mistreated her because of her sexual orientation. She was at the protest Friday, along with her mother Tina Dagenais and sister Ashley Mulligan.

“I’m extremely angry with how a teacher can treat a student,” said Ashley. “I am extremely protective over both my little sisters, and it sucks that I can’t do anything. This is the best that I can do, is stand up for her, and be here and protest.”

A story about Mulligan’s alleged harassment first ran on the Toronto-based gay rights website Xtra late last month. The story has since exploded on social media.

The Windsor Essex Catholic District School Board has denied the allegations.

The protesters stood along Huron Church Road, outside the board office, waving signs with messages that included “Love Not Bigotry” and “Gay Rights are Human Rights.”

Mulligan said that all the support she received since news broke of the alleged bullying has given her strength to stand up for herself. She said she was there Friday to “stand up against bullying,” after being a victim of it from other students, former friends and her teacher.

“Now I’m strong, I’m not going to let anyone bring me down,” she said.

She said the bullying included “talking about homosexuals” in class, giving her disgusted looks, and telling the class that homosexuals can’t get married.

Mulligan it wasn’t until she came out that the teacher started picking on her. She said she filed a complaint to the school board.

I think this is a gross overreaction, and not bullying. If giving the student disgusted looks is the most egregious thing, according to the article, that the teacher did... I'd say at most the student should've talked to the teacher's boss about it. All this bullying/protest nonsense is just going overboard about it, IMO.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
She said the bullying included “talking about homosexuals” in class, giving her disgusted looks, and telling the class that homosexuals can’t get married.

:biggrin:

If talking about homosexuals is "bullying" would that make the OP bullying?

And I have to to wonder if the the "disgusted looks" were in reaction to something the "bullied" student said. Giving people "disgusted looks" randomly is just plain weird and seems unlikely.

Jan 25, 2011
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/0...dent-who-says-a-catholic-teacher-bullied-her/

I think this is a gross overreaction, and not bullying. If giving the student disgusted looks is the most egregious thing, according to the article, that the teacher did... I'd say at most the student should've talked to the teacher's boss about it. All this bullying/protest nonsense is just going overboard about it, IMO.

The teacher is either woefully ignorant or intentionally spreading lies as well to further their own personal agenda. Gay marriage has been legal in Ontario for over a decade.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The teacher is either woefully ignorant or intentionally spreading lies as well to further their own personal agenda. Gay marriage has been legal in Ontario for over a decade.

Did you miss the part about it being a Catholic school?

By the Catholic definition of marriage gays cannot get married.

Jan 25, 2011
It supersedes with regard to what marriages the Catholic Church recognizes as valid.

Sadly for the church what they choose to recognize in Canada is also irrelevant. The law recognizes it as marriage.

If she had qualified it with a statement that the church chooses not to recognize that's entirely different. As presented in the article it's factually wrong. Homosexuals in Canada can get married no matter how you choose to split hairs.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Sadly for the church what they choose to recognize in Canada is also irrelevant. The law recognizes it as marriage.

If she had qualified it with a statement that the church chooses not to recognize that's entirely different. As presented in the article it's factually wrong. Homosexuals in Canada can get married no matter how you choose to split hairs.

They cannot get married in the Catholic Church. And given that it was a *gasp* Catholic School what do you think they are more concerned with?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I do find it interesting that the tolerant way of dealing with bullying is to bully back ten-fold.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
It's not bullying but the Catholic church needs to fix itself in general before they or their representatives can talk down to anyone else... /shrug

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
This is the strangest part of the article:

Dagenais said the school board told her it was planning to take legal action against her daughter.

I've never seen this be the case in a teacher bullying situation.

The linked article provides insufficient information to understand the situation. Some situations the missing pieces are easily assumed given our understanding of basic human motivations and reactions, but this one there are multiple probable scenarios.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Yawn, this is news? Let me know when there are protests about Islam's 100% anti gay stance, that would be interesting atleast. For folks who supposedly are so concerned with tolerance they sure do ignore the most intolerant in the world [Muslims].

Atleast in the west today a gay person wont be stoned to death and is largely free to be as gay as they want to be.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
"has given her the strength to stand up for herself"....sounds like she gained more than she lost, part of growing up and thanks to this teacher's "bullying", she is now a stronger person than before, something that everyone says is a positive.
However sounds to me like she is bullying the teacher honestly.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
This is the strangest part of the article:

I've never seen this be the case in a teacher bullying situation.

The linked article provides insufficient information to understand the situation. Some situations the missing pieces are easily assumed given our understanding of basic human motivations and reactions, but this one there are multiple probable scenarios.
what do you expect a school to do when a random student makes unsubstantiated accusations about a teacher? Then goes and creates a protest about said teacher when there is no evidence of any malice?

all I can hear is a whiny girl saying, "the teacher hates me 'cause I'm gay. I have no proof, but I'm right and everyone else is wrong."

so, unless actual provable evidence is found, she sounds like a typical overly-emotional high school kid.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
what do you expect a school to do when a random student makes unsubstantiated accusations about a teacher? Then goes and creates a protest about said teacher when there is no evidence of any malice?

all I can hear is a whiny girl saying, "the teacher hates me 'cause I'm gay. I have no proof, but I'm right and everyone else is wrong."

so, unless actual provable evidence is found, she sounds like a typical overly-emotional high school kid.

this. Kid is way overreacting. I wonder if the teacher even knew she was gay in the first place? AFAIK in catholic schools you can only teach catholic doctrine/values which means that gays can't get married (within the church obviously) and that homosexuality is a sin. to quote TFP:
everyone knows this
Maybe instead of getting all worked up this girl should pay more attention in class to what is bring taught? ;)

And you mean to tell me teachers never give students evil looks un the classroom? You gotta be kidding me :D:D

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

...I was saying basically the same as you said, but with a tactful tolerant slant. I don't want this group protesting me on my front lawn!

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Pretty clear that this girl, her special interest group, and the media are the bullies here.

See:
"The bullies are the people, especially the media who like to just beat on anybody who doesn't toe the line...they suppress freedom of speech" (video follows with transcript and absolutely no need for additional commentary):

“This country, which is based on freedom of speech...we need to recognize who we are, let's start talking to each other, let's not demonize each because there's disagreement..."

Of course, its so much easier just to call anyone that thinks differently homophobic or racist...

Uno

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Tolerance goes both ways. It seems that those who champion tolerance are the most intolerant of opposing views.

Also, I agree with the above.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Did you miss the part about it being a Catholic school?

By the Catholic definition of marriage gays cannot get married.

And all the other parts of being Catholic? "Turn the other cheek, forgive those that trespass against you, let those without sin cast the first stone, clothe the naked, feed the hungry, comfort the sore of heart." Dont see no "ostracize and ridicule those who are not the exact same as you."

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
And all the other parts of being Catholic? "Turn the other cheek, forgive those that trespass against you, let those without sin cast the first stone, clothe the naked, feed the hungry, comfort the sore of heart." Dont see no "ostracize and ridicule those who are not the exact same as you."

Please show me the ostracizing and ridiculing that was occurring?