I dont see a solution to bogus stops.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

This one is particularly bad, because its impossible to prove one way or the other. Cameras cannot yet capture odors. And you can always claim the scent dissapated by the time the vehicle was brought in. Also you can later say "it must have been a skunk" and I think that covers the entire continental US. And maybe Alaska.
Seems like this is another version of New Yorks "stop and frisk" policy except it doesnt appear to be official policy, just common practice.

Attachments

• car.JPG
    car.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 46

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh, not saying all cops are shady.
Just saying the shady ones have an awful lot of tricks to infringe on constitutional rights.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think there are a lot of interventions which can influence the culture of cops and attention to their unconscious biases. Those things would affect the number of bogus stops. But they wouldn't stop them. I agree that there's unlikely a (practical) structural intervention.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I went shopping yesterday and came home with 10 grams of some good honeycomb and shatter (50% off sale!). On the way home I waved at one of our cops who is my neighbor. I can drive all over the place with it in my car and it doesn't matter a bit to anyone. I wave at the cop as he drives by and I'm in the shop knocking down a bong hit.

May it be this way for everyone in our country, soon.

Reactions: Pohemi and dank69

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I went shopping yesterday and came home with 10 grams of some good honeycomb and shatter (50% off sale!). On the way home I waved at one of our cops who is my neighbor. I can drive all over the place with it in my car and it doesn't matter a bit to anyone. I wave at the cop as he drives by and I'm in the shop knocking down a bong hit.

May it be this way for everyone in our country, soon.
If I had any idea what you are talking about I'd probably upvote you.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
If I had any idea what you are talking about I'd probably upvote you.

Legal marijuana products and shopping for them in a state where it is legal. Drugs, man... drugs... in this case it's extracts that you vaporize with a hot titanium nail and a bong.

Good shit, Maynard! :D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
For fun with thinking explore two ideas. We have a right to privacy. No crime goes unpunished without anonymity.

Everything about our world will change when we can keep private everything that should be kept private and nothing that shouldn't be is made known.

Can that be done? That is a nice way to flex one's imagination.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Legal marijuana products and shopping for them in a state where it is legal. Drugs, man... drugs... in this case it's extracts that you vaporize with a hot titanium nail and a bong.

Good shit, Maynard! :D

I would like to replace my cheapo shit chinese crap vape pen with another ceramic filament-based Buddha like I had back in CA, but I just don't smoke enough to justify it. I don't really have access, or care to bother, so whatever.

man, I bought that thing for like 100 bucks off some college stoner dude on CL, then sold it on CL ~5 years later for 100 bucks. what a score.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I live in a legal pot state, but I have ZERO issues with the cops busting a stoned driver.

But not as a pretext to conduct a warrantless search of the person/vehicle. Cops already have way too much latitude in this area.

Reactions: Pohemi

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We are talking about 'crimes' against one's own self. It's not our job to wreck privacy in order to punish someone because they 'harmed' their self.

The problem with driving stoned is that just like driving drunk...it can easily become something worse.

I don't like pot. The stench is nauseating to me...but I support legalizing it...with heavy penalties for DUI.

Reactions: Paladin3

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The problem with driving stoned is that just like driving drunk...it can easily become something worse.

I don't like pot. The stench is nauseating to me...but I support legalizing it...with heavy penalties for DUI.
thats fine but not at all the point of the article or this thread.

cops make up excuses to pull people out of their cars and rip the interior to pieces then lie afterwards about phantom odors.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What we need is minimum standards for police training both at the federal level and at the state level. Training that would include anti bias training as well as de-escalation training. The whole justice system needs to be reformed though.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
The problem with driving stoned is that just like driving drunk...

Actually, no it's not and I really don't like to see people say this crap. I've been driving stoned for over 40 years now and I haven't had a single accident. While I've never been drug tested I can state with confidence that I would have failed one at any time of my adulthood. While I am able to drive and function in public while having consumed enough weed to stun an elephant I do agree that there are some people, mostly those new to getting baked and those who react strongly to THC, who shouldn't imbibe and take the wheel. If they do, I have no problem with the law nailing them to the wall. I really don't worry about that because I'm a patient, responsible driver and I don't attract the law, even in our well-equipped Mustang.

Being anesthetized with alcohol and being stoned and inexperienced are two completely different things but they can similar results when behind the wheel of a car.

Reactions: Pohemi and BoomerD

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
thats fine but not at all the point of the article or this thread.

cops make up excuses to pull people out of their cars and rip the interior to pieces then lie afterwards about phantom odors.

I understand that...but who makes the determination whether they smelled it or not? Obviously if pot is found, then it's probably true, but what if someone in the car had recently smoked? The smell of the stuff lingers. I smell it on people out in public fairly regularly.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Actually, no it's not and I really don't like to see people say this crap. I've been driving stoned for over 40 years now and I haven't had a single accident. While I've never been drug tested I can state with confidence that I would have failed one at any time of my adulthood. While I am able to drive and function in public while having consumed I do agree that there are some people, mostly those new to getting baked and those who react strongly to THC, who shouldn't imbibe and take the wheel. If they do, I have no problem with the law nailing them to the wall. I really don't worry about that because I'm a patient, responsible driver and I don't attract the law, even in our well-equipped Mustang.

Being anesthetized with alcohol and being stoned and inexperienced are two completely different things but they can similar results when behind the wheel of a car.

Admitting to smoking "enough weed to stun an elephant" and driving makes lie of your "responsible driver" claim.
I agree the two substances are different and have totally different effects, but there's no way you can honestly claim driving stoned doesn't impair your driving ability.

Reactions: Paladin3

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We are talking about 'crimes' against one's own self. It's not our job to wreck privacy in order to punish someone because they 'harmed' their self.
Not sure what you mean. What I am talking about is that if we had no anonymity no policeman could accuse us of smoking pot if we weren't smoking it. Whether we did or didn't would be known and this would protect us from false witness. There is no reason that with WIFI and cloud storage and recording devices we could have a complete record of everything we do and when.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Admitting to smoking "enough weed to stun an elephant" and driving makes lie of your "responsible driver" claim.
I agree the two substances are different and have totally different effects, but there's no way you can honestly claim driving stoned doesn't impair your driving ability.

It's hard to be irresponsible when I'm behaving in a responsible manner, stoned or not. I'll get back to you when I have an accident or injure someone with a vehicle.

Don't hold your breath, it's been over 40 years now. :D