Question I don't need a new GPU. Is that OK?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My 1080Ti plays Rocket League and VR as well as I need it to. I won't be supporting yet another price hike for next gen from either company. I won't get forced into a higher price bracket for the same tier product. I will almost certainly just keep using what I got and not care. Is that fine? Am I still allowed to be here?

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER and Zepp

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My 1080Ti plays Rocket League and VR as well as I need it to. I won't be supporting yet another price hike for next gen from either company. I won't get forced into a higher price bracket for the same tier product. I will almost certainly just keep using what I got and not care. Is that fine? Am I still allowed to be here?
If you don't need it then you are fine. If it dies, then you will need another card. Upgrade when you want. With me, I have 5950X and there is no onboard graphics. Read: I still need a GPU. I keep a 970 GTX as a backup. I would love to upgrade, but I don't need to.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
@VirtualLarry

do you really need drivers if it's already working? I don't see the point of monthly GB driver updates just to add some features for some new game that was released.

True. The issue would be if windows did something stupid that required the latest driver to properly work, or some other constraining factor like that. However, life is too short to walk around worrying about something as silly as that happening. I do admit, it induces nightmares though.

Zepp

May 18, 2019
Im still on an RX 470 I bought in 2018. if it died and I couldn't find a decent upgrade for less than $200 I'd just use my integrated vega8. Not caring about graphics and AAA games is bliss

Reactions: VirtualLarry

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Im still on an RX 470 I bought in 2018. if it died and I couldn't find a decent upgrade for less than $200 I'd just use my integrated vega8. Not caring about graphics and AAA games is bliss
Actually, ignorance is bliss, oops, but we repeat ourselves. :p

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Uhhh, this is only true if your just looking at Nvidia.
If team Red is acceptable, they have a lot of great cards @ and even below MSRP for companies which i feel may go under soon like XFX.
Its the Nvidia cards which are still sort of inflated. If you want anything over a 3060Ti its called "90210" District in the Gamers Boutique.

As much as i hate to recommend this sorry excuse for a card, its still an OK card if your comparing it to your RX470.

The 6500XT priced at 200 dollars which is your zone.
It probably uses less power as the 6000 series i feel have great idle watts and are efficient cards until you get into the 6800XT territory.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
I don't need a new GPU. Is that OK?

No.

Proceed to buy a 2080 founder's edition used off scalp-bay for roughly $2k, then come here and brag about it like it was a great deal. Be sure to emphasize the fact that you passed up on an equivalent AMD card for about $400 -- only idiots buy those cards anyway. Feel free to boost your expenditure up by another $1k or so for some garish AiB model that gets ~1-2% more performance max.

Once the above is complete, you may once-again join our ranks after the requisite "Hail Jensens" and ray-traced FPS flagellation.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm still on a 670 GTX. I have only in the last 1 - 2 years started to feel the need to replace it as I still play at roughly 1080p (technically 1920x1200). You upgrade when you really need to, not just because something new is out. With a 1080TI even with VR, I don't think there are many games out there that would completely stress it (unless you happen to have a HTC Vive Pro 2, which has 2440x2440 per eye and wants to run 120 FPS).

Reactions: NTMBK

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Is that fine?
No. Absolutely not.

Am I still allowed to be here?
Maybe. But only if you preorder your RTX4090 today!

Look, you do not realize just how great new GPUs are. Raytracing, DLSS, AI, they are just life changing mind blowing awesome!

For example, look at this review of the awesome RTX4090!:

You need to rush out and pre-order a RTX4090 now for the low, low price of $4090. You cannot miss this deal of the life time! Financing is available! We will accept your kidney as collateral! If you do not order now you will be stuck waiting in line outside of best buy fighting off raiding scalper gangs!

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
No. Absolutely not.

Maybe. But only if you preorder your RTX4090 today!

Look, you do not realize just how great new GPUs are. Raytracing, DLSS, AI, they are just life changing mind blowing awesome!

For example, look at this review of the awesome RTX4090!:

You need to rush out and pre-order a RTX4090 now for the low, low price of $4090. You cannot miss this deal of the life time! Financing is available! We will accept your kidney as collateral! If you do not order now you will be stuck waiting in line outside of best buy fighting off raiding scalper gangs!

I'll head to Best Buy in a Sherman tank to fight the scalpers. I'll drive home with my 4090 and a full 5 stars on the wanted scale. WOrth.

Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Just wait until they drop driver support for 9/10-series, to force people to upgrade...

Dropping support just means the GPU loses per game optimizations to make it perform the max in nearly every game sold.

I would suspect something like a RX390 would still run nearly every game for a few years yet.

I would speculate any GPU that offers decent support for directx12 will be fine until Directx13 rolls around.