I dislike father's/mother's day...

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
They're crappy Hallmark holidays that inject stress into my life. "I've got to do/get something meaningful to make them feel appreciated." It's difficult enough finding something to do/get for my 60+ year old parents for their birthdays and Christmas.

Does that make me a bad person/son?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Yes. The time to hate those holidays is when they're dead and gone and you remember all the times you were a selfish little twit like now.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Yes. The time to hate those holidays is when they're dead and gone and you remember all the times you were a selfish little twit like now.

Haha... I expected this. Seriously though... it's not that I don't appreciate them. I'm almost 30 years old so I've been doing this for about 20 years now. It just gets a little old going through the routine of buying a gift or making something or whatever. It's even more complicated by the fact that even though they're still married and living together they're not into each other anymore so one gets jealous if they think the other had a better holiday. I know it sounds incredibly arrogant, but if they got along it would be great because I could take them out for dinner or have them over for dinner and "grace them with my presence" rather than buying them something that they don't need.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got my mom a portable Blu-ray player. Will get her a new computer this year for her birthday.
Last year a 22" widescreen for mothers day and blackberry 8830 for BD.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
The only days someone gets a gift from me: birthday, Christmas.

Other than that, I may do a card for mother's/father's day once in a while. Corporations and fools are the only people who believe you have to buy them something. Just go hang out with them, call them and have a meaningful conversation, or do something like mow their lawn for them. They'd appreciate that the same if not more than getting a box of chocolates or something.

If you're at a distance, it might be better to pony up and send something small.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I'm with Jeff in the simple fact that any day is father's day and mother's day for me. My birthday is in December but dad would get me something on some random day and surprise me, something I really wanted. That meant so much more than something on my birthday, so I followed that tradition.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I don't mind making the time to spend a day with them but the card/gift thing gets a little old. They don't need or want anything that's within gifting price range. So I wind up buying them junk I don't want to spend money on so they can feel like I appreciated them with crap they now have to store somewhere.

Dinner > *

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I don't mind making the time to spend a day with them but the card/gift thing gets a little old. They don't need or want anything that's within gifting price range. So I wind up buying them junk I don't want to spend money on so they can feel like I appreciated them with crap they now have to store somewhere.

Dinner > *
Time with them >*

Dinner works for that.:)

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
You're making it seem like it takes a lot of effort to make the holiday memorable. It doesn't need to be that way.

My parents aren't material people, so getting them just a card and having a meal with them is enough to let them know that I care.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
You're making it seem like it takes a lot of effort to make the holiday memorable. It doesn't need to be that way.

My parents aren't material people, so getting them just a card and having a meal with them is enough to let them know that I care.

Historically it has taken a lot of effort for my family. They've never been big on the togetherness thing and focus more on the materialistic side of holidays and birthdays.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
The thing that annoys me about Mother's Day is that my wife expects me to get her something. It's not Wife's Day. It's Mother's Day.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
The thing that annoys me about Mother's Day is that my wife expects me to get her something. It's not Wife's Day. It's Mother's Day.
Do you have kids?? If not, then it's definitely not deserved.. If you do have kids, maybe she thinks her kids didn't give her enough?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Do you have kids?? If not, then it's definitely not deserved.. If you do have kids, maybe she thinks her kids didn't give her enough?

Yes we have kids. Both < 2.

Regardless, it's "Mother's" day. Not wife's day. She is not my mother.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007

Do you tell her this? Regardless, my dad gets stuff for my mom on mothers day and my mom got something for my dad on fathers day. :shrug:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Historically it has taken a lot of effort for my family. They've never been big on the togetherness thing and focus more on the materialistic side of holidays and birthdays.

ah, this is why you don't care.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

She is obviously a mother. She is the mother of your children.

I assumed wrongly that even you were incapable of showing such little regard. Is it this kind of attitude that speaks towards that "horrible wife-beating Korean husband" stereotype that you've mentioned here before?

I usually laugh when you mention it b/c you're joking, but serious question is serious here.
:hmm:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
My first father's day as a father this year so I'm pretty happy. My wife is good at buying stuff for me and she has money to burn so I'm not complaining.

Motorheader

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Nothing like a card, flowers, a power tool, or a new cellphone to show your love. Woohoo - pile on more debt.

Crappy capitalistic based non-essential "holiday".

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
She is obviously a mother. She is the mother of your children.

I assumed wrongly that even you were incapable of showing such little regard. Is it this kind of attitude that speaks towards that "horrible wife-beating Korean husband" stereotype that you've mentioned here before?

I usually laugh when you mention it b/c you're joking, but serious question is serious here.
:hmm:

That only applies if one has a Korean wife.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I think everyone knows these are Hallmark holidays. However, these are not the holidays to bitch about when it comes to Hallmark holidays. :p