I didn't even know he was in the clown car and now he's not!

Did you know George Pataki was even in the race?

• Yes, I am an informed electorate.

• No, I was fixated on the shiney thing.

• Why are we talking about this eleven months before the election?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
There is a proviso to my yes vote. I do recall his name plate being pop riveted to the clown car dashboard in the early days of the hats being thrown in, but with Trump sucking all the air out of the car, I clean forgot about Pataki at least a couple of months back, as well as a few of those other clowns still hanging on to the rear bumper by their finger tips.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I wonder who his supporter will go to?

Offhand, I'll guess Christie or Kasich. Some could drift toward Rubio or Bush.

Just for listening to the man here and there over the years, Pataki would mostly have attracted sane voters. He's more or less an "establishment" candidate like Christie, Kasich, Bush or even Rubio.

Huckabee, Trump, Cruz -- they all have a more volatile following. A following that is noticeably more paranoid or angry.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I knew him because he was my governor and a decent one at that, a relic from a time when the GOP actually produced good governors. Now it's a myth which will soon be forgotten.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
One correction: He isn't out, he's merely suspending his campaign. If the other 37 candidates should flame out, Pataki and his supporters (aka Mrs. Pataki) are positioned to sweep in.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Offhand, I'll guess Christie or Kasich. Some could drift toward Rubio or Bush.

Just for listening to the man here and there over the years, Pataki would mostly have attracted sane voters. He's more or less an "establishment" candidate like Christie, Kasich, Bush or even Rubio.

Huckabee, Trump, Cruz -- they all have a more volatile following. A following that is noticeably more paranoid or angry.

So you are saying his supporter might have difficulty in choosing who he or she will support? He or she will be indecisive because there are so many other "options" they he or she could pick?

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
One correction: He isn't out, he's merely suspending his campaign. If the other 37 candidates should flame out, Pataki and his supporters (aka Mrs. Pataki) are positioned to sweep in.

I vaguely recall reading something that the suspending the campaign jargon has to do with being able to keep unspent contributions.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I vaguely recall reading something that the suspending the campaign jargon has to do with being able to keep unspent contributions.
It does, I was just being snarky. By suspending his campaign, Pataki can be a kingmaker, deciding whom to gift with his campaign contributions (which, again, are unlikely to amount to much more than Mrs. Pataki's discretionary cash plus the buy-in from any odd lobbyist with either an extremely big war chest or extremely unpopular wants) rather than returning the unspent portion. In theory he can buy himself a position. In practice, with Hillary likely to cruise unbloodied to the nomination and the leading Republican not needing or wanting Pataki's thousands, not so much. But as long as he is still formally in the race, he can also keep it and use it for travel, advocacy, or donations to other races.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I knew Lindsey Graham was in the race until he wasn't. He was the only Republican candidate who admitted climate change is happening. I would have considered voting for him. :( But I'm a Democrat, so I'm not paying close attention to most of the Republicans.

About all I know about George Pataki is that his last name sounds like a Klingon swear word. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.