I decided to rewatch Super Size Me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have quite a few local bakeries near me. I don't buy bread from supermarket.
There are a lot of good bakeries near me as well in fact a few are a short walking distance.

But sometimes I just want some sliced bread or some bun type product like potato rolls, which they don't have. I do get these Italian potato rolls from whole Foods - no soy but 2g sugar per roll.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
If you're getting constant abcesses, maybe there i something WRONG, and MAYBE you should consider seeing "professional"? They're not ALL these dastardly robber-barons, only out to rob you blind.

While you're at it, might schedule a few sessions with a Licensed Mental Health Counsellor.
That period last only about a month. Got a cleaning at the end of Mar 2021. Dentist said that she couldn't get all the plaque off that session and left some behind for another appointment one week later. Got no advice to adjust diet, get a Waterpik, etc; she thus failed to act so I could avoid harm).

She also issued a prescription for chlorhexadine but there was a hold by the insurance. She made a call to me asking me how to contact the insurance...even though I had
Then last summer, I discovered she put into my records visits that did not occur after Sept 2021. Not only that, but years prior, she did the same when I was in college; here, she commited an act that harmed Medicaid.

The last thing is that I don't know if I really had a cavity in September 2021 when she did a filling. I hadn't had one in 32 years and none since either....I also switched sides when chewing....relentless flossing that summer...persistent waterpiking.

I wanted to see another, but this was going to be out of pocket. He looked well-reviewed, but the results were $150 for an Xray, an irrelevant referral for a root canal, and then come back to him to get a crown. The wrong here with this guy is suggesting irrelevant and unnecessary services that a reasonable non-professional may have induced persuaded to obtain.

I would buy a Waterpik at the beginning of May and try my first dietary adjustment, which didn't go all that well. Attempted to go zero net carbs...eat only muscle meat and vegetables...unsalted. That was miserable.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You're joking, right? The burgers are loaded with salt and fat.
At least the fat seems to be solely from the beef itself and not extraneous oils. The cows themselves may not be in the best living conditions, but the fat is probably natural beef fat.
Salt can be an issue in conjunction with the starch intake.
As it is a red meat product, the heme component can be harmful, but would apply to home cooked red meat too as well.

Fries have another variable, which is the oil they are fried in, how long the long is used for preparation, what temperature the oil is cooked at. The molecules are unstable and will even react in some manner to create dangerous compounds. In short, oils are "perishables disguised as durable".

The potato part is all starches, with the full effects of eating starch, which is increase of appetite upon entry of the mouth and the "up-down" cycle of insulin causing hunger about two hours afterwards.

As it is a potato, the vitamin mix is bit less diverse than the bread in burger, where the bread at least still has the B-vitamin complex reintroduced into the product.

The soda provides a bomb of fructose from HFCS or sugar, and that hits the liver hard because fructose can only be processed by the liver. The other sugary products are moreso glucose complexes.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I will definitely agree the soda is likely the worst part. I lost my taste for the stuff about a decade ago. Sometimes I crave one, drink it, and wonder why I wanted it the first place. I might have one a month.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Another small tidbit that was bit more compelling was a feature of a school of kids in Wisconsin more prone to truancy chose to go with only fruits and veggies and did away with the common "grainy" meals of the more usual school food(the "usual foods" ranging from a well-endowed Illinois district to a more austere West Virginia school).
The kids were better behaved.

Issue are that they did away with any sort of meat and had energy drinks as part of the programme.

In a different documentary, the Yendarra school in New Zealand also did away with the standard "processed fare" and the students lost weight and became better behaved.

Based on what I know, I believe that the insulin hormone going up and down along with not getting less common nutrients like magnesium could be substantial contributing factors.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, McDonald's sucking in the kids is real. I personally threw a tantrum on the bus back when I was 3 or 4 on the bus wanting to go to McDonald's. Heck, I can still conjure up the "searing feeling" in my heart even now. So...pretty powerful...

Reactions: NutBucket

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There are a lot of good bakeries near me as well in fact a few are a short walking distance.

But sometimes I just want some sliced bread or some bun type product like potato rolls, which they don't have. I do get these Italian potato rolls from whole Foods - no soy but 2g sugar per roll.
I have Italian and Chinese bakeries near me. I buy whole loaf of toast from a Chinese bakery and slice it myself. Keeps longer than pre sliced. Not a fan of putting bread in fridge since it dries out. I go to the Portuguese bakery if I need a sugar rush :p

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I watched Super Size Me in college a year or two after it came out. Then had to write an essay on how well we thought he made his arguments. I was one of the only people that wrote about how poorly he argued his case. But for example, half way through his blood work looked terrible, but it had mostly normalized by the end. This makes sense to me when you drastically overnight change your diet.

Obviously, I agree with the overall premise that the food is terrible for you and I think it got done good results, but the argumentsv were mostly emotional.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Among other reasons, it's hard to take it too seriously when it turns out he was an alcoholic and lied about it to the doctor.
I don't care about sugar per se. I just don't want the flavor in my "real" food. I'll eat all the cookies, cheesecake, and ice cream you want to give me, but you can fuck right off with your sweet/hot combos. Just about everything in the US is fucking sweet. Americans have the palate of a toddler. It's hard to even get jerky that isn't loaded with sugar, but the recent low carb fad has helped that a bit.
Dunno if it's available out there, but Tillamook zero sugar jerky is pretty good. We've got a local meat place that has a couple good no sugar flavors too.

Reactions: lxskllr

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Somehow Fogle was eating 10,000 calories a day but they switched to eating a turkey sub and an all veggie sub from Subway....
Is it really surprising that going from 10k calories to a deficit of like < 3k calories is going to result in weight loss?

Like is that how stupid our society is now that this is surprising to them?

Reactions: Captante