I converted a peasant...Observations after 4 weeks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
At least with a console, you can sell or trade your games. A luxury I can't do on my PC.
True. But once upon a time we could and all was well in the PC gaming kingdom. But not anymore, and that's why I despise all forms of DRM including the mighty Steam, Origin, etc;.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
^^^

See, this is the idiotic outlook that started the "console users are poor" crap in this thread. People like this are the typical PC users master race wannabes that embarrass me as a PC gamer. This type of person and this stupid attitude is what's brought up anytime you want to discuss PC vs consoles. Whoa watch out, you spent money on a PC, big wow! Such amaze! $$$!!!

Yes ignore the facts, ignore the business model is tailored specifically towards certain types of people with limited amounts of cash for gaming buy-in, ignore the statistics that demonstrate that gaming on the console is more expensive over time for even casual gamers.

This is the exact same kind of emotional fuelled response you get from most console gamers who think their PS3 or PS4 is the best and then get a dose of reality, notice that this is a common tactic of console fanboys, not to actually address facts or arguments, but to sling mud about.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
You're one to talk. The post in reference was nothing but a high-and-mighty troll.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Not for everyone. My gaming rig strictly loads up Steam on boot and is used for nothing else.
My Macbook Pro is what I'm typing this on. It has plenty of power to do everything else I could want and I'm not stuck at a desk to do any of it.
Plus a tablet for other consumable media's...seems quite archaic if not inefficient to be here typing that post using your gaming rig.

I knew some people that had strict gaming machines back in the day, but that was mostly because of the single-core nature of PCs. Essentially, they didn't want these machines to become bogged down with software that would reduce the performance while in game. However, even those people were pretty rare.

Also, it's definitely not inefficient to post using my gaming machine. My gaming machine is faster and has better specs than any of my laptops (even my MSI G72 Dominator with its 980M), and far more importantly, I have two 2560x1440 screens. That's really the big reason why I could never go full laptop (You never go full laptop! :biggrin:) -- I simply need the screen real estate, because I'm a big multi-tasker. I'm also really accustomed to dual monitors.

Maybe that sort of illuminates my point a bit. This is a bit of an oversimplification, but ultimately, a gaming machine is really just a PC with a decent GPU. People spend tons of money on other components, and they certainly help in various ways, but they aren't truly needed. However, there are also people like yourself that don't want to be tethered to a chair, and that's fine too. I've posted on here from my Zenbook a few times simply because I wasn't at my PC.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I knew some people that had strict gaming machines back in the day, but that was mostly because of the single-core nature of PCs. Essentially, they didn't want these machines to become bogged down with software that would reduce the performance while in game. However, even those people were pretty rare.

Also, it's definitely not inefficient to post using my gaming machine. My gaming machine is faster and has better specs than any of my laptops (even my MSI G72 Dominator with its 980M), and far more importantly, I have two 2560x1440 screens. That's really the big reason why I could never go full laptop (You never go full laptop! :biggrin:) -- I simply need the screen real estate, because I'm a big multi-tasker. I'm also really accustomed to dual monitors.

Maybe that sort of illuminates my point a bit. This is a bit of an oversimplification, but ultimately, a gaming machine is really just a PC with a decent GPU. People spend tons of money on other components, and they certainly help in various ways, but they aren't truly needed. However, there are also people like yourself that don't want to be tethered to a chair, and that's fine too. I've posted on here from my Zenbook a few times simply because I wasn't at my PC.

Inefficient in terms of power usage or mobility. Dual thunderbolt display options on mine. Streaming to a second monitor is also possible apparently. If dual display is your thing, you could find a powerful laptop to do it, so that's not really an excuse just to use your gaming rig. If you prefer it, that's perfectly fine just saying it's a bit overkill for web browsing.
Then again, so is my laptop with it's core i7 but I do everything on it except gaming. My PC is basically my console and resides next to my PS4 on the big screen.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If you prefer it, that's perfectly fine just saying it's a bit overkill for web browsing.

Of course, spending thousands on a PC that's just for web browsing is overkill. My entire point has been that PCs can be used for far more than just a sole purpose, but that's always up to the desire of the user. For example, while I do a lot on my desktop, I have PCs that I dedicate to HTPC tasks.

My PC is basically my console and resides next to my PS4 on the big screen.

I use a separate PC that's hooked up to my TV. It isn't as fast as my gaming PC, but it handles 1080p, which is what most people need for their TV, well enough. This PC also serves as a HTPC, so I usually just call it my "Gaming HTPC".