I converted a peasant...Observations after 4 weeks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Which again does not refute the point they were making that calling console users poor is stupid.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Which again does not refute the point they were making that calling console users poor is stupid.

I don't think the term "console peasants" has anything to do with monetary worth like the other user suggested. It's really just a silly term to suggest superiority in a single platform by using obvious hierarchical terms like "PC Master Race" and "console peasants". The thing is... most PC users probably own at least one console, so it's not like they really hate them or anything like that. It's kind of like how Americans poke fun at Canadians from time to time, but we actually think that they're quite swell people. :$

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I'd look earlier in the thread. At least one person explicitly makes the generalization that console gamers are poor. The point made about not calling them that stands as it is.

I know why the term peasant is more generally used, as well.

It's a stupid derogatory term for no good reason. People will game on what they game. The fact that we can't just enjoy the fact that other people are having fun on a different platform is ridiculous.

It's one of many reasons I tell people that I enjoy video games, and never that I'm a gamer.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
Peasants are those not able to enjoy the fruitful riches of all gaming platforms. Having to chose, due to financial reasoning or otherwise blind bias, a single platform is truly a shame...

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
With the exception of 1st party games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, God War, Gears of War, Uncharted, Killzone), there is no reason to own a console.

Also, these 1st party games come out every 4 years or so. Meaning, just wait until the system and games (trilogy or collected editions) come out and buy the hardware for a 3rd of the release price.

3rd party games have pretty much flooded the PC, and they usually have console controller support as well.

Edit: not every Gears game is on PC.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The fact that we can't just enjoy the fact that other people are having fun on a different platform is ridiculous.

What I meant is that I don't think most people actually care about where someone games. Now, I do think PC gamers care when they see unnecessary console-friendly aspects creep into their games; however, I'd at least consider that to be more of a legitimate claim. Although, I do think it tends to be leveraged too much against the console gamers rather than the lazy and/or cheap developers.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I agree with console-ization being bad for PC games. Again, not my point. See the post right above yours.

Elitism for no good reason.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Gaming is hardly the first thing humans have invented where the elite class look down on the lower class, that's pretty normal. A lot of the incidents between the PC gaming master race and the filthy console peasants is initiated on their side when they say something inflammatory like consoles are faster/better which is just demonstrably wrong and always incites a torrent of immediate hate. But again not really unique to gaming.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I've never considered console users poor by any means, I have friends who seem to spend more money on consoles per year than I do on PC hardware and games. One thing that console users do have going for them is they can pick up a game at release, play through the whole thing(assuming it's not something like Skyrim), and sell it a week or two later and recoupe most of their money,

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Does anybody actually have a stat about average income of PC gamer vs console gamer (not including those who do both)? Certainly PC gamers on average spend more money on gaming hardware but that doesn't mean they are richer. I really don't know if they would be. I suspect they are very slightly wealthier.
I've never considered console users poor by any means, I have friends who seem to spend more money on consoles per year than I do on PC hardware and games. One thing that console users do have going for them is they can pick up a game at release, play through the whole thing(assuming it's not something like Skyrim), and sell it a week or two later and recoupe most of their money,
That's why I buy new games for my console. I think paying $60 for a digital came is something only something i'd do if I had a serious drug problem and it was affecting my decision making. Just doesn't make sense.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Does anybody actually have a stat about average income of PC gamer vs console gamer (not including those who do both)? Certainly PC gamers on average spend more money on gaming hardware but that doesn't mean they are richer. I really don't know if they would be. I suspect they are very slightly wealthier.That's why I buy new games for my console. I think paying $60 for a digital came is something only something i'd do if I had a serious drug problem and it was affecting my decision making. Just doesn't make sense.

I don't think it is really about cost. It's more about marketing. You don't see 'cool' games typically being advertised for a PC (unless you count WoW - and look how popular that is/was - so obviously marketing works). Many console only people are not PC savvy so it makes sense they would not consider a PC for gaming in the first place. Since marketing for PC revolves around Windows and business, it adds to it. Add to it their friends are all console as well, and you see what happens.

I know like 2 other people that PC game in my circle. Everyone else is still using 360's/PS3 and MAYBE have a weak laptop that they use for youtube/fb when they aren't just doing that with their phone or ipad and playing farmville.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If you are a financially established adult, and your pov is PC gaming gods v. Console peasants, you have maturity problems.

I think it is a joke/meme that has gained real traction in the young teen demographic. Observing my son, and his dynamic with his peer group, led me to the conclusion. They were all console players, and a couple of years ago (My son was 12) there was a rapid shift to PC gaming. My son told me some of the kids use the console peasant line as an insult at school. It has become a peer pressure issue to step up to PC, or perforce, be excluded from discussions, and perhaps suffer ridicule.

My son was into minecraft 2 or 3? years ago. And evidently he was told the 360 version was a joke compared to PC. That was the defining moment in his switch. Game price differences, and cost of hardware did not seem to carry any weight. After all, we the parents shoulder that burden.

There seemed no emphasis on frame rates, graphics, or any of the meat and potatoes of the debates I see here. With the exception of m&kb; its benefits for shooters were heralded.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Moral of the story is that people buy consoles because they're poor, which is why the PC master race refer to them as console peasants, the signature quality of peasants is that they're poor.

That's why the console business model exists the way it does, Microsoft and Sony sell their consoles either at cost (which they did this gen) or even at a slight loss like they've done in prior gens, specifically to pull in the people with less money.

Just like other similar financial schemes the profit is made by having a cheap initial buy in but then higher costs to sustain the system over time, this is expressed in console gaming by things such as subscriptions to access online content, royalties for game devs which are then push up the RRP of the games, extensive DLC, etc.

When you drop some decent cash on a medium to high end gaming rig and get to use an open platform instead of a closed one then you get an experience that far exceeds that of a console, some people cannot appreciate that quality immediately but use it for a while and try and go back and it's immediately obvious.

^^^

See, this is the idiotic outlook that started the "console users are poor" crap in this thread. People like this are the typical PC users master race wannabes that embarrass me as a PC gamer. This type of person and this stupid attitude is what's brought up anytime you want to discuss PC vs consoles. Whoa watch out, you spent money on a PC, big wow! Such amaze! $$$!!!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think it is a joke/meme that has gained real traction in the young teen demographic. Observing my son, and his dynamic with his peer group, led me to the conclusion. They were all console players, and a couple of years ago (My son was 12) there was a rapid shift to PC gaming. My son told me some of the kids use the console peasant line as an insult at school. It has become a peer pressure issue to step up to PC, or perforce, be excluded from discussions, and perhaps suffer ridicule.

Hm... I always thought that kids were more into consoles than PCs. I wonder if it's games like Minecraft that pushed people toward PCs since that's where Minecraft was originally available.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Hm... I always thought that kids were more into consoles than PCs. I wonder if it's games like Minecraft that pushed people toward PCs since that's where Minecraft was originally available.

No one was ever "pushed" towards PC's I'm sure.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Console gaming isn't cheap, don't call them poor. :p

Especially now here in Canada, console games are releasing at $20 more than PC version of the same game ($79.99 vs $59.99)

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Console gaming isn't cheap, don't call them poor. :p

Especially now here in Canada, console games are releasing at $20 more than PC version of the same game ($79.99 vs $59.99)
Same here in the states. If you buy a ton of games the PC will actually save you money in the long run, especially considering all the online sales. My 11 yr old son wanted to upgrade his 360 to the Xbone, but I built him a nice gaming PC instead and he hasn't looked back. He still plays on all the different consoles with friends and family but is quick to tell them where the real power lies. The torch has been passed, he has joined the PC elites! :)

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I don't think it is really about cost. It's more about marketing. You don't see 'cool' games typically being advertised for a PC (unless you count WoW - and look how popular that is/was - so obviously marketing works). Many console only people are not PC savvy so it makes sense they would not consider a PC for gaming in the first place. Since marketing for PC revolves around Windows and business, it adds to it. Add to it their friends are all console as well, and you see what happens.

I know like 2 other people that PC game in my circle. Everyone else is still using 360's/PS3 and MAYBE have a weak laptop that they use for youtube/fb when they aren't just doing that with their phone or ipad and playing farmville.

^This.
But screw the PC master race crap....I am a Divine Multiplatform God.

6oz7s6.jpg

Same here in the states. If you buy a ton of games the PC will actually save you money in the long run, especially considering all the online sales. My 11 yr old son wanted to upgrade his 360 to the Xbone, but I built him a nice gaming PC instead and he hasn't looked back. He still plays on all the different consoles with friends and family but is quick to tell them where the real power lies. The torch has been passed, he has joined the PC elites! :)

Not really, that often depends on the individual. Many kids will rent games or buy/sell/trade. There are still stores in many towns that rent or there is Gamefly and you can buy sell or trade your games all day long. Or just borrow them from friends.
I've had my PS4 since November and only spent around $550. I've played some 20 games on it and own 4.
I also upgraded my PC around that time. I spent $1500 and have not played quite 20 games...I think I bought maybe 15 if that since then.
But really it depends on the individual. At least with a console, you can sell or trade your games. A luxury I can't do on my PC.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I converted my cousin recently and he is already trying to sell his PS3 and games to fund a video card.His buddy as well recently sold his console and bought a rig i had built some time ago.Got them both pretty much telling me how much better off games like GTAV are on pc after playing my account for just a few hours.

They could have afforded a pc some time ago,but they more or less were more comfortable with console gaming.My cousin only had to watch me play some of the titles he owns on console and that was all it took.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
At least with a console, you can sell or trade your games. A luxury I can't do on my PC.

For now, that'll disappear soon but hopefully refund systems will be in place with whatever service. Since last August (2014) I haven't paid more than $30 for a brand new PS4 or XB1 game thanks to abusing the trade-in system at EBgames with the platinum card. :) Got AW for $25 and GTA5 for $28 on launch day.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Now that's a welfare system I can get behind :thumbsup:

obamagames! :D

I think the cost of a PC, and somewhat regular upgrades compared to the life of the average console, balances out costs more or less.

the hardcore folks spend $300-500 a year just to upgrade the GPU. That's like buying a new console every year.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think the cost of a PC, and somewhat regular upgrades compared to the life of the average console, balances out costs more or less.

The one thing that people tend to ignore is that a PC isn't just for gaming. If that was the case, then I wouldn't be typing this post right now. :p I think we're seeing that now more with consoles as well since they got access to multimedia apps such as Netflix.

the hardcore folks spend $300-500 a year just to upgrade the GPU. That's like buying a new console every year.

Keep in mind that most will just sell their old hardware. It's pretty rare to break even if the MSRPs were similar. Actually, I think the only time you could've done that was during the Bitcoin mining heyday.

But really it depends on the individual. At least with a console, you can sell or trade your games. A luxury I can't do on my PC.

However, if you decide that you want to play a game from a few years ago, you're not stuck waiting for the company to decide to publish a "Definitive Edition" or HD version. :p

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
The one thing that people tend to ignore is that a PC isn't just for gaming. If that was the case, then I wouldn't be typing this post right now. :p I think we're seeing that now more with consoles as well since they got access to multimedia apps such as Netflix.

Not for everyone. My gaming rig strictly loads up Steam on boot and is used for nothing else.
My Macbook Pro is what I'm typing this on. It has plenty of power to do everything else I could want and I'm not stuck at a desk to do any of it.
Plus a tablet for other consumable media's...seems quite archaic if not inefficient to be here typing that post using your gaming rig.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
It's not inefficient.

CPUs scale to meet demand. I also fail to see what's wrong with wanting to see the web from your desktop's monitor.

I mean, it's nice that you have enough money to dedicate tower solely to gaming, but archaic and inefficient? Come on.