I can't stand the stupid curved edge screen on my Samsung. What am I doing wrong?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I've got the Samsung S9+ for a few months now and I hate it.

- Why do people think that bezel-less is a good thing? Bezels prevent you from accidentally making touch inputs when you're holding the device!

- Without a phone case the S9+ gets so many unintended screen touches on the sides. A lot of times I can't even scroll because my hand is touching the edge screen while my thumb is trying to scroll, so it registers two simultaneous touches (it doesn't think I'm trying to scroll).

- It's so incredibly difficult to purchase and install a good tempered glass screen protector for a curved screen. I've installed three different ones and all of them crack at the curved bit on even the slightest drop.

- The edge screen warps images at the border, which is distracting.

What am I doing wrong? Why is the curved edge screen so popular that it's being used on newer models as well?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
You aren't doing anything wrong. I had the same issue, and going naked is what I did.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Since most people don't go naked, the case on old-style phones makes for a double bezel.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I use a case so dont get that many unintended presses.

Makes putting on a screen protector a PITA though.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
@fuzzybabybunny How are you getting on with that? Did it help?
I've been using that for awhile and I dont have a case on my S9+ and I don't get a lot of accidental touches. Iirc you have pretty small hands though and I have huge shovels for hands so it might be that!

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I'm having the opposite problem lol. Links etc near the edge of the screen require a touch that is slightly towards the flat area (ie. you're not really touching the actual icon or link, you're touching slightly off to the side). If it was a flat screen I would be actually pressing the icon/link/etc.

I absolutely despise the curved screens...they are completely useless as far as I'm concerned. I'm on a Note 9 btw. I hope they give the option for a flat screen Note model in the future.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I left the S7 Edge for the S9+ and feel no pain at all. It's a great phone, but hampered by Pie, IMO. I'm hoping Google & Verizon comes to their senses with the next version of the OS and roll it out to phones older than the S10. Oh, and putting on a film screen protector requires a good deal of patience and the willingness to follow product directions to the letter. Sooner or later, Samsung will abandon the curved screen and we can all go back to tempered glass protectors.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I left the S7 Edge for the S9+ and feel no pain at all. It's a great phone, but hampered by Pie, IMO. I'm hoping Google & Verizon comes to their senses with the next version of the OS and roll it out to phones older than the S10. Oh, and putting on a film screen protector requires a good deal of patience and the willingness to follow product directions to the letter. Sooner or later, Samsung will abandon the curved screen and we can all go back to tempered glass protectors.
I've got a tempered glass screen protector on my S9+, it's the first phone I've had one on.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
I've spent more money on screen protectors for this piece of crap than any other of my phones, combined.

First one was one with the adhesive running along the edge of the glass. Impossible to type due to the touch insensitivity, even with sensitivity cranked all the way up.

Second and third ones I tried to do it myself with UV loca glue. First one had a tiny bubble in the middle so had to toss the entire thing. Second made a complete mess because some glue got in the speaker grill.

Fourth one (in Australia) was at a shop that put it on with loca glue. Bubbles started to appear around the curved edges after half a day and cracks started to appear around the edges of the screen protector after seriously minor bumps (my phone is on a lanyard and swinging gently into something is already enough to cause cracks)

Fifth one (in Vietnam) didn't use loca glue, but some kind of full-screen glue already applied to the protector without the need to cure. This one didn't fit well, had a black bar around the curved area of the screen, and started cracking around the curved areas after a week. The cracked curved areas then become starting points for long cracks across the screen. The protector covered the selfie camera and a big crack covered it, rendering it useless.

Sixth one (in Bali) was installed using loca glue. The guy doing it failed the first time because there was a bubble in the middle. The second attempt left some small bubbles on the curved side, but after curing for longer the bubbles got larger and eventually formed a large bubble. A crack formed on top of this bubble and now 1/16th of the screen is just one big bubble and crack, which is far worse than a naked screen with perhaps a few small permanent scratches from keys or whatever.

Seriously, this is stupid. I've never had anything even remotely this difficult happen with standard flat screen protectors, all of which I've put on myself and can get for $5 or less anywhere in the world.

The curved screen is completely useless. It has no function and has no redeeming qualities. Zero. It makes the phone harder to hold, creates lots of unintended touches, makes protection impossible and expensive, and with a case attached you still get a bezel anyway, not that bezels are actually a bad thing. I totally don't get why people have been striving for bezel-less screens for so long. Are we that enamored with form over function that we want phones that become completely disposable after a couple years of use? Do we really want a glass phone with zero bezels to act as crumple zones?

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
A buddy of mine just got the Note 9, and he got a Zagg temper glass protector for it. It looks good with no bubbles at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I used one of the Whitestone Dome ones. The installation process was pretty funny, involving UV lights, glue, and a big plastic cradle, but it was pretty foolproof if you read the instructions and its lasted since I got the phone.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
That's not a great way to carry a modern smartphone that's mainly screen. Its causing me anxiety just knowing that you do it! o_O
The lanyard has saved my phone a bunch of times from certain death in places where dropping the phone is unrecoverable. It's also a way to secure the phone in case of theft while traveling. Been using this method for years and have never had an issue. Until now.

Reactions: intrique45

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The lanyard has saved my phone a bunch of times from certain death in places where dropping the phone is unrecoverable. It's also a way to secure the phone in case of theft while traveling. Been using this method for years and have never had an issue. Until now.
Modern phones are big, and glass, and fragile. They are also pretty heavy. I can't think of a more unpleasant way to carry them than wearing them like a necklace.

I mean it's up to you but if you are going to carry one in a way that involves swinging it around it would probably make sense to get a more rugged phone than one made 90% out of glass?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm having the opposite problem lol. Links etc near the edge of the screen require a touch that is slightly towards the flat area (ie. you're not really touching the actual icon or link, you're touching slightly off to the side). If it was a flat screen I would be actually pressing the icon/link/etc.

I haven't had a problem with links, they tend not too be very small and at the extreme edges of the screen. I did have a bit of a problem with a few keyboards when the curved screens first came out. I use the stock Samsung one now (which I think is just a branded swiftkey) and that let's you set the area the keyboard takes up so you dont need to use the curved area.

Screenshot_20190414-163632_Samsung Internet.jpg

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I've got the Samsung S9+ for a few months now and I hate it.

- Why do people think that bezel-less is a good thing? Bezels prevent you from accidentally making touch inputs when you're holding the device!
Bezel-less is 100% a good thing. The less bezels that exist, the more screen that exists. Eventually, devices will be 100% screen, and this is a great thing.

- Without a phone case the S9+ gets so many unintended screen touches on the sides. A lot of times I can't even scroll because my hand is touching the edge screen while my thumb is trying to scroll, so it registers two simultaneous touches (it doesn't think I'm trying to scroll).

I've been using edge screen devices since the S7 (S7 Edge, S8, Note 8, Note 9) and I use them caseless as well. You're just going to have to come up with a different way to hold it so that your fingers aren't wrapping around to the front.

- It's so incredibly difficult to purchase and install a good tempered glass screen protector for a curved screen. I've installed three different ones and all of them crack at the curved bit on even the slightest drop.

The S9+ is a $500-1000 glass and metal pocket computer. Why are you being so careless with it that you drop it?

(my phone is on a lanyard and swinging gently into something is already enough to cause cracks)
Wow. That is SO IMMENSLY CARELESS I don't even know what to say.

- The edge screen warps images at the border, which is distracting.
This is the only legit complaint. There's not much you can do about it except get used to it. For whatever it's worth, the Note 8 and Note 9 have much more subtle edges and distort the image way less than the S series.

What am I doing wrong?
"You're holding it wrong." :p But seriously, try adjusting your grip.

Why is the curved edge screen so popular that it's being used on newer models as well?
It's Samsung's thing and it allows them to have thinner narrower devices with bigger screens and very high screen-to-bezel ratios. Plus it looks gorgeous from straight on.

You could always go buy an S10e which has no edges, but I suspect you'd whine about the camera hole.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
A buddy of mine just got the Note 9, and he got a Zagg temper glass protector for it. It looks good with no bubbles at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give it some time to see if it keeps good contact.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Gotta agree with OP. I had the S7 edge and it drove me bonkers. The screen looked amazing but it wasn't practical. Bezel-less monitors can be good. Bezel-less mobile devices are not so good.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I haven't used a screen protector with my S7 Edge/S8+/S10 because I've always had a case like this that covers the screen:
71mpi6yQAWL._SL1000_.jpg

Although this one for my S10 is a bit thicker than I'd like so I've ordered a Skinomi protector set and am gonna try that and decide what I wanna do. I put a screen protector on my Kindle Fire from Skinomi and think they have a pretty good product. Some people may not like the "soft" type feel of their protectors but it doesn't bother me (it's not like a glass surface).

I kinda hope the Skinomi works well cause I'd rather go without the big case I've gone with for years. The phones are so nice looking it's a shame you gotta cover the goddamn things up with a case for the one or two times in its lifetime you drop them and crack the screen or something.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Gotta agree with OP. I had the S7 edge and it drove me bonkers. The screen looked amazing but it wasn't practical. Bezel-less monitors can be good. Bezel-less mobile devices are not so good.
If it drove you bonkers, why the hell did you get it in the first place?