I can't pass Mario 3!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh and I just watched the video, you skipped like every single power up there is lol. You were pretty much at the end. Goes better if you have power ups, at least if you hit something you don't die.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Oh and I just watched the video, you skipped like every single power up there is lol. You were pretty much at the end. Goes better if you have power ups, at least if you hit something you don't die.

If you noticed, he did that deliberately. He never died by hitting anything and was never in danger of that. His only death was in 8-2 when he missed the bouncing block and fell down a pit. He deliberately lost his power up so that no one would think he cheated by flying over the pit. The plant that got him is super easy to avoid: when you come out of your pipe, just wait for it to go back down. It can't hit you if you don't move.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I remember doing the double whistle thing as a kid, get two in world 1, then use them both to go straight to world 8. Those were in the days before saving. Heck, UPSes were not even a thing. Slight power blip and you had to restart from scratch. So warping was one way to get ahead next time you played. Eventually got a SNES with SMW, that was my favourite one.

Warping all the time is not fun though, I've actually played SMB3 through without warping at all. I recently played with one of my nephews and I show him all the tricks and hidden stuff. Funny because I remember being around his age and one of my uncles showing me all that. Passing on important life knowledge. :p

Yeah. We routinely play all the way through without warping. That video was for a coworker who complained about how "long" the game was. 15 minutes later he was uploading this to YouTube.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

I like a challenge. I didn't get hit on the red airship stage in world 8 :)

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Did it in 15 mins a little while back to show a co-worker how easy it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xT2lPqV6_c

Also, ...
<--- Console gaming

I'm sure the dozen or so people that actually post to this forum don't mind a miscategorized thread. I lurk OT from time to time, but you folks are very boring, and I only clicked this OT thread because it seemed somewhat interesting, compared to 99% of them I don't even bother to read

Edit: nevermind, it got moved, 5 day old front page threads in OT shall prevail!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Here's a personalized walkthrough for you, John Connor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpFALMdSGwY

I'm sure the dozen or so people that actually post to this forum don't mind a miscategorized thread. I lurk OT from time to time, but you folks are very boring, and I only clicked this OT thread because it seemed somewhat interesting, compared to 99% of them I don't even bother to read

Edit: nevermind, it got moved, 5 day old front page threads in OT shall prevail!

This is precisely why I always oppose further fragmentation every time someone suggests a new sub-forum.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Here's a personalized walkthrough for you, John Connor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpFALMdSGwY

This is precisely why I always oppose further fragmentation every time someone suggests a new sub-forum.

I kind of like it. I usually go through The Garage, Home and Garden, PC gaming and then OT. The juvenile rhetoric in OT that is discouraged in the subforums is annoying to me.

To each their own, but I have to be VERY bored to even think of pulling up the OT section of this forum. I usually frequent specialized forums, or specialized sections of these forums

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

If I try to get a powerup in that level I WILL die! LOL

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Cool. I need to relearn grabbing a turtle again. I have been stuck in this world for a while only revisiting the game once in a while.

Question: Why did you use a boob-tube when you have a flat screen?

Do you really not know the answer when it comes to old games and game consoles?
Really?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
640x480? I don't use consoles, but I can't understand why a video input wouldn't work on the flat panel. Yes, the screen might be smaller, but it's doable, is it not?

Anyways.. that is not the subject matter of this thread.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
640x480? I don't use consoles, but I can't understand why a video input wouldn't work on the flat panel. Yes, the screen might be smaller, but it's doable, is it not?

Anyways.. that is not the subject matter of this thread.

The KDL-52XBR2 makes SD look like absolute crap.

Classic games look better with scanlines and native resolution. Because you don't evenly multiply each line of detail to reach 1,080 lines, it comes out looking like a mess. Also, I want proper Zapper compatibility and I've already ordered Super Russian Roulette. There are some more reasons too...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The KDL-52XBR2 makes SD look like absolute crap.

Classic games look better with scanlines and native resolution. Because you don't evenly multiply each line of detail to reach 1,080 lines, it comes out looking like a mess. Also, I want proper Zapper compatibility and I've already ordered Super Russian Roulette. There are some more reasons too...

Like input latency (primary reason for me).

John: he couldn't play nearly as tight on the flat panel due to lag. Getting that first 1-up would have been as much luck as skill.

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

What are you trying to say?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Cool. I need to relearn grabbing a turtle again. I have been stuck in this world for a while only revisiting the game once in a while.

Question: Why did you use a boob-tube when you have a flat screen?

Did you notice that he got hit by the plant you deftly avoided? ;)

That settles it. John is better than Ichi.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
60a3ffeeadbddd5a573ac79cf4b48143.jpg

OOPS!

0987bbaa3dea3c458229ced22cea2997.jpg

John Connor deftly defying the plant... even did it without a power-up. Show off!

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
In 2014 I beat the whole game all the way through without using warp whistles because I never did that as a kid. Still my favorite Mario game, one day I am going to beat that damn fortress in World 8.

The sun that tries to kill you is the stuff from nightmares. And who can't forget the awesomeness of the secret location of the 3rd warp whistle?

Last edited:

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
What are you trying to say?

Click on the OT forum. Scroll down to the bottom of the "front page". Assuming you are not on dial-up, you will have your settings set to 100 threads per page. If so, chances are good that the oldest thread on the page will be 4-5 days old. I don't think I could break it down any more than that.

By the way, SMB3 was much easier than SMB2, in my opinion. I beat 2 and 3, but 2 was much harder. Super Mario World was not very difficult to beat Bowser, but Special World definitely was challenging.

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
I always tried to get all the P-wings I could to fly through a lot of level 8 when I played without using warp zones. This is with the SNES version where you can save or emulator quicksaving.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

If you noticed, he did that deliberately. He never died by hitting anything and was never in danger of that. His only death was in 8-2 when he missed the bouncing block and fell down a pit. He deliberately lost his power up so that no one would think he cheated by flying over the pit. The plant that got him is super easy to avoid: when you come out of your pipe, just wait for it to go back down. It can't hit you if you don't move.

Just realized Red Squirrel was talking about John's video of 7-1.