I cant OC Intel Skylake G3900

fauzool

Sep 25, 2017
I trying to OC Intel Skylake G3900 CPU I cant change blck by even 1 and it wont post.
I have asus prime Z270- P. Can someone help me with this? I want to be able to OC

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does that board offer Skylake BLCK OC? I think most mobo companies removed that feature before the Z270 came out. (Intel pressured them to remove it, at least from new products.)

I do know that the current board I'm on right now, the ASRock Z170 Pro4S WILL do BLCK OC for locked Skylake CPUs. At least, I tested it with BIOS 7.00. I'd try it again, but I have a Kaby Lake G4560 in here, which are not overclockable.

fauzool

Sep 25, 2017
I am able to change settings in the bios, but what ever I try does not work. Based off this id assume I can otherwise it wouldnt let me change settings.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Use their software.. ASUS AI Suite 3 for overclocking CPU & memory.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I am able to change settings in the bios, but what ever I try does not work. Based off this id assume I can otherwise it wouldnt let me change settings.
No, just because you can adjust BLCK, DOES NOT mean that your board has the ability to BLCK OC a locked Skylake CPU. In fact, it's a specific feature, that loads a debug microcode into the CPU to shut down the PCU, and allow the OC.

BLCK adjustment is provided nominally, to tweak an OC of a "K" SKU CPU, that is already unlocked. That's why you can adjust it.

Edit: Are you sure you have a G3900, and not a G3930?

Edit: It's also possible, that Intel locked out the BLCK OC for locked CPUs, in later revision CPUs, by updating the microcode on new production batches. You may need to get a hold of an "old" G3900 to successfully OC, if your board does have this capability.

Last edited:

fauzool

Sep 25, 2017
No, just because you can adjust BLCK, DOES NOT mean that your board has the ability to BLCK OC a locked Skylake CPU. In fact, it's a specific feature, that loads a debug microcode into the CPU to shut down the PCU, and allow the OC.

BLCK adjustment is provided nominally, to tweak an OC of a "K" SKU CPU, that is already unlocked. That's why you can adjust it.

Edit: It's also possible, that Intel locked out the BLCK OC for locked CPUs, in later revision CPUs, by updating the microcode on new production batches. You may need to get a hold of an "old" G3900 to successfully OC, if your board does have this capability.
Thank you for you reply. It is the G3900, but my board is Asus prime z270-p based off that I found that the z170 had the ability to overclock non k in older bios but not the 270. Is there possibly a modded bios of some sort I could use to get this to work?

Lachrimae

Jan 29, 2020

Hi , sorry for the necroposting, but can you tell me you still have BLCK overclocking on the z170 chipset? Yesterday I accidentally updated from version 3.70 to the latest 7.50 and now when overclocking, my system simply does not start. Model z170 pro 4s, the same as yours

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Try flashing 7.00 if you are able. I believe that I tested BCLK OC on that version, and it still worked.

It wouldn't surprise me that with all of the microcode updates and mitigations for exploits, that they might finally choose to disable BCLK OC.

Lachrimae

Jan 29, 2020
Try flashing 7.00 if you are able. I believe that I tested BCLK OC on that version, and it still worked.

It wouldn't surprise me that with all of the microcode updates and mitigations for exploits, that they might finally choose to disable BCLK OC.
Already installed version 3.10, it booted from the flash drive without any problems, it turns out I tried to install the BIOS for another motherboard (I have z170 pro4), damn it ...
I'm curious about how someone "accidentally" updates their BIOS?
I have never done this before, just clicked one button in the BIOS and it all happened by itself, well, to admit, I thought it would improve performance =))

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wait, so, you clicked on the one-click BIOS update (which is IIRC not just one click) IN THE BIOS, and it installed the BIOS for the WRONG model mobo? Might want to contact the mfg about that.

Lachrimae

Jan 29, 2020
Wait, so, you clicked on the one-click BIOS update (which is IIRC not just one click) IN THE BIOS, and it installed the BIOS for the WRONG model mobo? Might want to contact the mfg about that.
No, i installed the BIOS directly from the BIOS itself by updating via the network, and then I tried to flash the BIOS from another motherboard myself, i did a complete crap xd

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If I were you I would pick up a used skylake i5 or i7, if in the budget. They are coming down in price and will offer much better performance, and the k models will OC quite easily.