I can't hardly believe it; Trump is going to ban bumpstocks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Yeah, but the whole idea is to avoid something permanent. The NRA will settle on this so that they're not forced into something else. It's like letting a kid pick their own punishment. "OK mom, sorry I played with matches and burned down the house, I'll give up broccoli for an entire month!!"

While doing it via regulation isn’t very fast or permanent (has to be published in Federal Register, go through comment period, complete cost benefit and burden tests, etc) but it has the benefit of not requiring legislative action or a passed bill.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
When I've used a bump stock, it wasn't especially faster than what I could do with my finger on the trigger. I could see how over say five minutes it could make a difference, but for a minute or two, before any fatigue really sets in, I think you can almost hang with your finger... I mean, I'm sure the bumpstock is faster, but I don't know that it really made him more deadly in the time he had.

I said in the original Vegas shooter thread that while I wouldn't personally be for a ban of bump stocks, its not a battle I'd fight to keep them either. It is hard to argue that they don't exist to modify the rate of fire, or change the shooting mechanism to a more "automatic" style, which is banned. Bump stocks are not a line in the sand I'd draw, but in the end, this will achieve nothing. If this ban happens, a few years from now homicides and mass shootings will not have tangibly changed statistically speaking.

You are making a compelling argument on a complete ban on the AR and like assault rifles

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
This is literally the only non-stupid post SlowSpyder has ever made about guns.

Yet the logical conclusion of his argument is the opposite of what he wants.

He'd be better off with the "don't throw me in the briar patch" strategy, rather than the "briar patch would be ineffective, better throw me in lava."

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The NRA is an absolutist organization whose purpose is to promote the profit margins of gun related industry. All gun laws are seen as a threat to the bottom line. To change gun laws a greater threat than the loss of income must be offered. Regulations are better than bans. I think the biggest existential threat to them would be a movement defeat anybody who takes a campaign contribution from them. To care more about money than human life is evil.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
The NRA is an absolutist organization whose purpose is to promote the profit margins of gun related industry. All gun laws are seen as a threat to the bottom line. To change gun laws a greater threat than the loss of income must be offered. Regulations are better than bans. I think the biggest existential threat to them would be a movement defeat anybody who takes a campaign contribution from them. To care more about money than human life is evil.

Naw, that would go to the GOA.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Trump is a fool and he knows even THIS will go nowhere.
The NRA is not going to give, not even on this point.
This is just something Trump can say with "pretending" that he cares until what happened in Florida blows over, is forgotten.
And when will Florida be forgotten? After the next school shooting takes place.
Will it be in YOUR home town?
Who knows..... Could be.
Will it involve an assault weapon? You can count on it.

Reactions: Zorba

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Would you care to demonstrate your aiming technique while you deploy that rubber band?
I never tried it. The fellow in the video did pretty well with it though, far better than I would have thought. It wasn't just wrapped around the trigger keeping it depressed, it was working as you would expect a bump stock to work. I don't know the in's and out's of it as I've never fired an automatic weapon. Always seemed like a silly waste of ammunition to me, bullets are expensive.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Isn't a bump stock just a way of circumventing the law on automatic weapons and as lots of people trot out the "enforce the laws we have before making any more" then the problem? Ban modifications that alter the fire rate first as they are just trying to avoid an existing law then you can move on.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Isn't a bump stock just a way of circumventing the law on automatic weapons and as lots of people trot out the "enforce the laws we have before making any more" then the problem? Ban modifications that alter the fire rate first as they are just trying to avoid an existing law then you can move on.

Or just allow it only at the range. Would agree it seems to serve little purpose for the typical use cases of hunting, target shooting, etc.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Or just allow it only at the range. Would agree it seems to serve little purpose for the typical use cases of hunting, target shooting, etc.

Mass murderers don't seem to be concerned with what's allowed...

Reactions: Bitek

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There is no proof that the Vegas shooter was any more deadly with it. And if you haven't shot an AR15 and you haven't used a bumpstock, you wouldn't know. Give the average person an AR15 and 25x20 round mags, they'll get 500 shots off in minutes. Bump stocks have been used in one known shooting, a shooting where an evil mad man had time, money, and surprise on his side. Nothing can really stop that.
Yeah, there is no proof having a higher firing rate into large groups of people actually results in higher casualties, especially when taken by surprise. That's why military has been using automatic weapons since the civil war. It's not like he was target shooting, he was firing in an area the size of a city block packed full of people.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
1. A bump stock equipped weapon and a fully automatic weapon are nothing alike. Configuring and firing a bump stock is a huge pain in the ass, not worth the trouble in my opinion. If I want to fire a fully automatic weapon I can go to the range and rent one.
2. I think the bump stock ban is a good thing for two reasons. 1. I think it's a circumvention of the NFA ban on automatic weapons and 2. It's exactly the kind feel good, do nothing legislation that will keep the gun grabbing, fascist, c0cksucking liberals happy for a few more years. Big win for you liberals. Big win.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Suppressors. The root of all evil.

Yes the tool that makes a gun go pew pew in the movies. We dont want to allow a safety feature to be used by gun enthusiasts. Would rather have them run to the doctor for hearing loss and add to our health costs. I find it telling Europe doesn't ban suppressors due to it being a safety feature. But then again EU politicians probably dont watch the latest hollywood action flick to bone up on their knowledge of guns.

Reactions: IJTSSG

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is the perfect example of non-sense that will not prevent the next school shooting. 19 year old sociopath uses an AR-15. Lets ban bump stocks. What next, barrel shrouds?

It's your pal Donald. Take it up with him.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This is the perfect example of non-sense that will not prevent the next school shooting. 19 year old sociopath uses an AR-15. Lets ban bump stocks. What next, barrel shrouds?
You're right, let's ban assualt rifles.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
1. A bump stock equipped weapon and a fully automatic weapon are nothing alike. Configuring and firing a bump stock is a huge pain in the ass, not worth the trouble in my opinion. If I want to fire a fully automatic weapon I can go to the range and rent one.
2. I think the bump stock ban is a good thing for two reasons. 1. I think it's a circumvention of the NFA ban on automatic weapons and 2. It's exactly the kind feel good, do nothing legislation that will keep the gun grabbing, fascist, c0cksucking liberals happy for a few more years. Big win for you liberals. Big win.

Have you noticed that many of the liberal-minded people here are well aware that bump stocks won't do much, and that this is the NRA and Trump trying to distract from the root problem of allowing semi-automatic rifles with relatively high-capacity magazines, especially to teens?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Assault rifles are banned. Have been for a long time. Try to keep up.

So let's ban otc sales of semi automatic military style carbines & high capacity magazines along with the parts to build & repair them. Keep the dangerous Rambo toys you already have, of course.

I mean, that's what they really are, isn't it, along with being fetish objects for wannabee revolutionaries & paranoids?

Never mind that they're the weapon of choice for murderous Mexican cartels & anybody else who uses them for their true purpose, which is killing people. They're pretty lame as firearms for nearly any other purpose.

Reactions: Zorba

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So let's ban otc sales of semi automatic military style carbines & high capacity magazines along with the parts to build & repair them. Keep the dangerous Rambo toys you already have, of course.

I mean, that's what they really are, isn't it, along with being fetish objects for wannabee revolutionaries & paranoids?

Never mind that they're the weapon of choice for murderous Mexican cartels & anybody else who uses them for their true purpose, which is killing people. They're pretty lame as firearms for nearly any other purpose.

Lame is subjective of course. The AR-15 has been on the market for over 40 years. But it has only become popular after 04 when we were in the middle of a mob initiated war on people who didnt have anything to do with 9-11. Kind of like how Drumpf is going to ban bumpstocks after a shooting in which one was not used.

Anyways the gun platform is very versatile and has great ergonomics. Which adds to its desire imo.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal