I cant get any AA filter with Battlefield 2

knifemyglitter

Jul 18, 2005
i have a widescreen so i have to force my res via the startup icon to 1680x1050 and now i get no AA filtering and it looks terrible. Im forcing it with ATI Tray Tools and nothing is working. is it because im using the shortcut edit?

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
You can't force AA with battlefield 2 with your card AFAIK. You can set AA in the BF2 control panel (don't worry about the res shown there) and it should work fine at 2-6xaa

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
You need to set it in the game options, or edit your video.con file like so:

VideoSettings.setAntialiasing 4Samples

knifemyglitter

Jul 18, 2005
i dont know if its possibly the resolution im using or what, but even with HL 2 when i crank it up to 6x...it still looks horrible on the fences and power lines etc... i also dont see Temporal AA doing anything when i switch it on and between 3x and 2x?

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: knifemyglitter
i dont know if its possibly the resolution im using or what, but even with HL 2 when i crank it up to 6x...it still looks horrible on the fences and power lines etc... i also dont see Temporal AA doing anything when i switch it on and between 3x and 2x?

It doesn't work on the fences because they are alpha textures. You need to enable Adaptive AA to apply AA to those.
And AFAIK, Only Quality AAA (TRSS on Nvidia) works with HL2.

knifemyglitter

Jul 18, 2005
ahh i see. i used to have a 7800 and the fences looked better...even though i thought ATI was better in the "image quality" section. And i got it to work in bf 2 as well. thanks!

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Since ATi lacks the driver option... if the FPD has the option for maintaining aspect ratio then I recommend you use that and set the game for 1400x1050. Forcing mock widescreen just reduces your view by "zooming in" and cropping off the top and bottom of the image. I would not be surprised if it suffered a performance hit too.

As said, AA must be set to Application Controlled in the driver and set in-game instead. In which case, perhaps Temporal cannot be applied independently. Adaptive can however.