I can't be the only one like this

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I just am not a huge fan of music in general. I sometimes enjoy listening to music and I don't hate it or anything, but I really don't care. I don't keep up with bands at all. I don't really care for indie rock. It all sounds disaffected and slow to me, like the singer is really tired, not to mention they can't even sing on key (apparently singing on key is no longer cool).

Everyone on Facebook always talks about their favorite bands but there are really no bands I love. I've probably spent more time organizing and migrating my music folder over the past several years than I have actually listening to it.

I know, blog.anandtech.com, just felt like posting.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
I've got a friend like that, he simply just doesn't care about music at all. I just don't understand.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
Same boat here. I listen to stuff, but I don't have an Ipod with all my favorite tunes, and the last CD I bought was some old jazz album just cause I felt like listening to jazz. I went to one concert, which was free and outside. Other than that, the radio is on, and I shift channels to find music. Meh.

gimmewhitecastles

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2005
I like music. I'll listen to it if it's good but wont obsess over it. I only need it to help pass time while I'm on a long drive or trip. Music isn't the only interest in the world so that's perfectly reasonable.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I have a confession to make, I've never been to a concert.

I've actually been to a few. Saw a small Scottish folk band a few times when they came over here and two free outdoor concerts at the Irish Fair in St. Paul - first was Flogging Molly and the second was Dropkick Murphys.

Funny that they've all been either Scottish or Irish (or at least Irish-inspired). I guess I like that kind of music since it's usually upbeat and fun.

But I just don't get that into it. I often don't even listen to music on the radio; normally it's just tuned to NPR. Most music I hear there is when American Routes comes on.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Music is all about emotion and evoking memories. Like enjoyment of any art form, it takes practice, education and, the willingness to let yourself experience something outside your zone of safety. With as many basement dwellers there are in ATOT, I'm amazed there are as many fans of the arts as there are.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sounds like you need to find better music. I don't find much I like listening to on the radio.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I'm with you OP. I have an ipod, but it is mostly full of videos and podcasts. I very occasionally listen to music, but probably wouldn't notice a whole lot if I never heard another tune.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
i'm am just the opposite. i get lost in music like getting lost in a good book.

i'm glad i don't have the disconnect you do OP.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I didn't care for music at all until I first heard Megadeth when I was about 10 years old. Since then, my tastes have been pretty specific. I like what I like, and am completely indifferent towards everything else.

Sounds like in your case, you haven't found what you like, as others have mentioned. It's a real shame.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Hell I take naps with music on. I'm talking Motorhead, not some easy listening crap. Just seems like such a waste not to have it around to wake up to and spend my day with.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I *love* music but don't have any favorite bands either. I like what sounds good to me, not who makes it.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Maybe it is finally time for you to discover classical music.

I sometimes listen to classical. I do like it but I can only listen for so long before I get tired of it.

I don't feel the need to "discover" any sort of music. Strikes me as just a hobby; some people really get into it, others don't. But it's such a popular hobby it seems strange to music lovers to discover that not everyone cares that much.

When I do listen to music, I prefer to go on Pandora or just turn on the radio because I don't like the lack of variety in my own music collection. I crave variety more than anything and I hate hearing the same song many times.

Come to think of it, I do like music. I just don't like it enough to listen all the time or learn anything about it.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I'm pretty much the same, I do have bands I like a lot, but I don't exactly have a favorite. I listen to all kinds of music. What I find really weird is people who are REALLY into music and you strike up a conversation about music with them and they're like "oh I don't really like them" or "oh I don't really like that genre of music" and I'm like "oh how about this?" and the same thing. They really only like ONE type of music and that's the music that fits with their scene. When I say I like music I mean all kinds, not just underground hip hop or indie rock, but all genres.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
My tastes vary wildly, but I'm constantly listening to music. I can't imagine life without music.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
You probably just havent found something that really "clicks" with you

I never cared for music until I was about 17 or so, then I listened to some gothic metal stuff and bam, I just fell in love right there... Been a metalhead ever since, always trying to find new bands etc ^^ nothing else in life gives you the same feelings as music really, I wouldnt want to miss it

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I don't care about bands.
I care about good electronic music.

how old are you? usually it's just because you haven't found anything to listen to that you really like.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Same here. 99% of the music I hear I just feel "meh." As in apathetic. I've always been like this: when younger I would try to be interested in "popular" music to fit in, but I just couldn't understand what the big deal was and never had any interest. I surprise people with this and they try to convince me to like the music they seem to love by having me listen to it, but its always completely uninteresting to me. I humor them or just bluntly tell them how lame their music is.

I do appreciate the occasional good movie track or most of the classical music I have heard. Maybe the problem is that 99% of music actually sucks and all that I've heard that has been uninteresting to me sucks. Maybe I haven't found the right music, but I haven't been interested in looking for it.

Last edited: