I cannot make this stuff up -- Exclusive: Trump lawyer Giuliani was paid $500,000 to consult on indicted associate's firm

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
WoW!! Who would have guessed?? Was the money worth it...hahaaaaa

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump's personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, was paid $500,000 for work he did for a company co-founded by the Ukrainian-American businessman arrested last week on campaign finance charges, Giuliani told Reuters on Monday.

The businessman, Lev Parnas, is a close associate of Giuliani and was involved in his effort to investigate Trump's political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, who is a leading contender for the 2020 Democratic Party nomination.

Giuliani said Parnas' company, Boca Raton-based Fraud Guarantee, whose website says it aims to help clients "reduce and mitigate fraud", engaged Giuliani Partners, a management and security consulting firm, around August 2018. Giuliani said he was hired to consult on Fraud Guarantee's technologies and provide legal advice on regulatory issues.

Federal prosecutors are "examining Giuliani's interactions" with Parnas and another Giuliani associate, Igor Fruman, who was also indicted on campaign finance charges, a law enforcement source told Reuters on Sunday.

The New York Times reported last week that Parnas had told associates he paid Giuliani hundreds of thousands of dollars for what Giuliani said was business and legal advice. Giuliani said for the first time on Monday that the total amount was $500,000.

Giuliani told Reuters the money came in two payments made within weeks of each other. He said he could not recall the dates of the payments. He said most of the work he did for Fraud Guarantee was completed in 2018 but that he had been doing follow-up for over a year.

Parnas and Fruman were arrested at Dulles Airport outside Washington last week on charges they funneled foreign money to unnamed U.S. politicians in a bid to influence U.S.-Ukraine relations in violation of U.S. campaign finance laws. The men were preparing to board a plane to Europe.

According to an indictment unsealed by U.S. prosecutors, an unidentified Russian businessman arranged for two $500,000 wires to be sent from foreign bank accounts to a U.S. account controlled by Fruman in September and October 2018. The money was used, in part, by Fruman, Parnas and two other men charged in the indictment to gain influence with U.S. politicians and candidates, the indictment said.

Foreign nationals are prohibited from making contributions and other expenditures in connection with U.S. elections, and from making contributions in someone else’s name.

Giuliani said he was confident that the money he received was from "a domestic source," but he would not say where it came from.

"I know beyond any doubt the source of the money is not any questionable source," he told Reuters in an interview. "The money did not come from foreigners. I can rule that out 100%," he said.

He declined to say whether the money had been paid directly to him by Fraud Guarantee or from another source.

John Dowd, a lawyer for Parnas and Fruman, also would not discuss the source of the funding that Giuliani said he received for his work for Fraud Guarantee. "What I know is privileged," Dowd said.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Definitely a FARA violation in there somewhere. I also heard that Giuliani was apparently hired by some Ukrainian town in 2017 (post-inauguration) to “streamline their emergency services” but investigators aren’t sure any work was performed, and regardless he wasn’t paid from a Ukraine government account but from an individual named Pavel Fuks (same Pavel Fuks who was negotiating the Trump Tower Moscow deal on behalf of Trump.)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Kompromat on poor Rudy. Line hook and sinker.
Its like Trumpism drags you down to its level and beats you with experience.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
OP I will let you finish but shouldn’t we be talking about Hunter Biden and the time he spent as a leader of the Chinese triads when he hadn’t even been in jail before? So woefully under qualified it must have been because of his father.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The investigation into Rudy is diving into his finances now so this would likely be looked at as well. Has anyone seen "I don't know if he's my lawyer" Giuliani the last few days?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Shit's closing in on Trump. I hope it chokes his bloated ass.

I'm surprised Trump doubled down on Rudy yesterday. I suspect that will change soon.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
OP I will let you finish but shouldn’t we be talking about Hunter Biden and the time he spent as a leader of the Chinese triads when he hadn’t even been in jail before? So woefully under qualified it must have been because of his father.
Why? Has anything from a legitimate news source that does not include FOX been poasted concerning mis deeds by Hunter Biden??

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think that Trump may more realistically be the mark on this criminal scheme rather than its head. Mark or no, he's definitely implicated in criminal behavior. What's impressive and most hopeful to me is that, clearly, the SDNY was ahead of Washington and reporters at least in some aspects of the scheme. It's tough to politically spin things to head off investigations which are already quite advanced, and things within the criminal justice system are much more likely to withstand politics to find the truth.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We are surely going to find out that Rudy has gotten paid millions on Russian oligarch money through various shady Ukrainian characters he's been hired by who have also used him as a conduit in to the GOP to dump Russian money on candidates illegally.

That he has managed to get himself under criminal investigation and mire Trump in a growing impeachment investigation that has accelerating public support is really something.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm as shocked as anyone that getting half a million dollars from a company named 'Fraud Guarantee' would turn out to be shady.
I heard Hunter Biden sat on the board but had no degree in fraud so obviously quid pro quo for Joe Biden.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
lol.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So Putin could not get directly what he wants from Trump (drop sanctions) so he does an end around. Seems pretty clear to me.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"I know beyond any doubt the source of the money is not any questionable source," he told Reuters in an interview. "The money did not come from foreigners. I can rule that out 100%," he said.
So next he tells us that it did actually come from foreigners, but no one cares, right?