I can only pick 1...Battlefield 3 or Skyrim?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wont be buying any more gritty realistic shooters, so for me its Skyrim. But I agree getting BF3 first during the MP orgy would be better, and waiting on ES5 to get home brew mods is smart. Also you know there will be some good DLC after 6 months.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
How about a spin on the question...what game could you buy without upgrading?

I'm actually worried about how my computer will hold up to both these games. I have a core 2 duo 3 gigz, umm ATI 8800gts with 2 gigs memory, and 4 gigs of 1024 hrz ram (something like that, I forget all the particulars, lol) You think this will hold up to these two games?

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
It will run Skyrim better than Battlefield 3 that's for sure but if what you have is a GeForce 8800GTS you're probably in need for an upgrade.

Mr. President

Feb 6, 2011
Skyrim gets my vote. I've yet to play a DICE game that wasn't buggy as hell when it came out.

Bad Company 2 still keeps losing my connection when playing online; both PC and PS3 versions. No other game does that.

Edit:
How about a spin on the question...what game could you buy without upgrading?

I'm actually worried about how my computer will hold up to both these games. I have a core 2 duo 3 gigz, umm ATI 8800gts with 2 gigs memory, and 4 gigs of 1024 hrz ram (something like that, I forget all the particulars, lol) You think this will hold up to these two games?

Skyrim should perform vastly better. Or rather, Skyrim will probably run fine while BF3 will run like crap.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
G92 is supposed to be good for solid low settings on BF3... if you've got the old bad GTS it may be unpleasant though.

Of course, you'll want a quad at some point.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
G92 is supposed to be good for solid low settings on BF3... if you've got the old bad GTS it may be unpleasant though.

Of course, you'll want a quad at some point.

I do have the g92 but... low settings? :( I play bc2 on medium so I figure my cards days are numbered. I can't believe how cheap the quad cores are now too, like $110. Might grab the holy trinity, mobo, cpu and video card. I know my Ram is top notch, Kingston 4 g set.

Is there any point in still buying deluxe mobos? I always seem to buy expensive mobos (Right now I have a striker II) after having 3 cheap ones short out on me in about a years time.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This, exactly.

Also, if you wait, mods will make Skyrim much better.

and being from Bethesda, it will be a buggy, unplayable mess for the first month or so after release.

also, you get all the boob and cock mods from the fans if you wait.

seriously now, why would you want to be forced to go through the vanilla game without the option to have a 12" erect penis creeping up over your jerkin throughout your adventuring?

please..... :rolleyes:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Motherboards? what strange thing to say:confused:

referring to thread title.

If I didn't quote you, chances are that I'm not responding to you.

EDIT: now that I've read your post, here is my response to your motherboard question:

pick whichever one gets you laid.

Aug 11, 2008
BF3 because shooting humans in the face online reduces stress :0

Probably not if you get pwnd all the time by 12 year olds with lightning reflexes and lots of free time to hone their skills.

Seriously, I would pick Skyrym, because I am more interested in single player than multiplayer, and am kind of burned out on shooters and am not good enough to really get into heavy multiplayer. Plus I dont really like vehicle combat, which I assume will be a big part of BF3. TBH, I dont understand the hype about this game, I mean how different can it be from any other multiplayer shooter?? But more power to you if you like the game that much.

brokEN2

Oct 6, 2011
www.cbcast.com
My system is an AMD Phenom II 940 @3.2GHz ,4GB DDR2, ATI 5870 1GB, I was able to run BF3 beta at all high around 40-50 fps @ 1920x1080

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
EDIT: now that I've read your post, here is my response to your motherboard question:

pick whichever one gets you laid.

lol :D

@Northern Lawn: If you're not upgrading, don't get BF3. Playing a multiplayer/competitive game with bad hardware can be a very frustrating experience. You'll have much more fun with Skyrim.

If you are upgrading, the 560TI is a great choice, and then you can pick up w/e game you feel like playing. The early reviews on BF3 are very positive. Skyrim will likely have tons of bugs at release, but we don't know yet.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'd Skyrim too first. Play the hell out of it until BF3 drops 50% and buy it too :p

Arg Clin

Oct 24, 2010
I'd get Skyrim.

Shooters haven't fundamentally changed since Wolfenstein3D for single play and since Doom for multiplay. You walk around in 3D mode at shoot at stuff .. that's it.

RPG games bring new original creative content in terms of a story and a universe. I'd say a RPG game is a more unique experience.

If you have Steam stats you might wanna look at those for comparable games in either genre and detect if there's some kind of pattern. How much game time do you typically spend on a RPG vs. a shooter? What are some of the most memorable games to you; RPG's or shooters?

If it's all equal, roll a dice..?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
BF3 since most of the game play is multiplayer. You don't want to join the game 6 months down the line and be behind in all the unlocks. Best to play on-par and get Skyrim later as the Game of the Year edition and not miss anything.