I can barely see a difference in these 2 AM4 ASRock boards, can someone help?

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I've been looking over the differences between these 2 boards on ASRocks website and it's vey difficult to see any differences. I see literally 1 difference and it's the inclusion of ASRocks A-Tuning software with the B chipset motherboard.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.us.asp?Models=AB350M Pro4,A320M Pro4

I noticed between the 2 motherboards that each of them have a premium 42A Power Choke which I thought was only for overclocking motherboards. The lines are so blurry on these 2 products its unbelievable.

Can someone explain why I might purchase one over the other?

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011

Thanks, I've already come across that article. It states the basic things I already knew about the chipset numbers themselves. That's why I specifically asked about the differences between these motherboards and not the chipsets themselves. What I'm getting at, is it seems like the distinctions are becoming less and less these days between Home and Business chipsets. I think consumers want more of the business features without getting into the overclocking aspects. But even in that regard the A320 chipsets do memory overclocking. I've never overclocked in my life. At one time I think it was taboo but now it's almost like...even the manufacturers themselves are encouraging it. So my question stands as originally stated.

Is the literal difference between these 2 motherboards only the A-Tuning software itself? I can read specs all day on a webpage but if there's something you just have to know as an overclocker that isn't readily apparent that's where I'm going to need some help.

They both have 42A Power Chokes. That sounds like an overclocking bullet point to me. It's almost like you could close your eyes and pick one of these and be happy either way. Is the B350 based motherboard more durable somehow?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Oh, I couldn't see any differences either so I thought it must be down to the chipsets.

As for overclocking and those power chokes, I'd expect the overclocking board to have a better one?
Asrock X370 boards have a 60A one, for example.

But I really don't know, either.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Yeah, the difference is in the chipset. The major thing is no overclocking on A320 based chipsets, but there are a few other odds and ends (not exactly sure how they apply specifically to these boards).

The easiest thing to do in my opinion is read the table at the bottom of the Gamers Nexus link.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
Your the second person whose answer has basically been to "Go read a description of the chipsets" versus actually looking at the descriptions of the 2 motherboards in question. I sometimes wonder if people are actually reading my question or not. :)

There is overclocking on A320 chipsets. But it's memory overclocking. I know that and I'm not even considered a beginner in the world of overclocking.

I've already tried the thing you called easiest. That's why after reading it, I came to this forum and started a post.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
I did read your question, then I was the second person to directly answer it.

Different chipset with different POTENTIAL features.

If you'd like to know the difference between those features on each chipset, go read about it, or don't, totally up to you.

Edit: For examples of how this applies, look at the PCI-E slot speeds as well as Crossfire compatibility.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I figured those two boards were literally layout-clones of each other, just one has the B350 chipset, and one has the A320 chipset, $10 cheaper, but it can't overclock, good for office machines, I guess.

I would spend the extra on the B350 myself, if you can.

Reactions: Lordhumungus