i (briefly) test drove a new mustang today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
the ones i'm talking about are the row of buttons below the knobs. traction control was among them. i thought it was awkward, having to snake my hand around the shifter to reach those controls. the v-6 automatic i sat in was worse.

Traction control is located in the top row of buttons near the 12 volt outlet. The lower row of buttons beneath the climate control knobs are, in order from the driver and moving towards the passenger, A/C, driver's side heated seat, recirculate, passenger's side heated seat, rear defroster. If the heated seat option is not chosen, those two spots are blanks.

Unless they changed the button layout for '09, but '05 through '08 had the layout I describe.

ZV

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
My 03 G35 sedan was stupid cheap ($10,500), is nice and quick, and has a reasonably nice interior. I personally like the styling of the first gen the best (out of all of them), and though the 1g coupe looks best of all, the sedan is actually lighter.

Tiptronic was a nice upgrade from my old Camry's 4 speed auto, but I really wish I'd found a 6MT, with the sport package :)

All in all, the G35 is a hell of a nice car, and for under 11 grand used, it's a whole lot of car for your money.

Of course, y'all are talking about new cars, so I guess I don't get to contribute ;)

~MiSfit

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: evident
Originally posted by: Mursilis
I never understand gripes about "interiors", especially from "enthusiasts". When I'm driving, I'm not even looking at the interior - I just don't care. A race car usually has a stripped down interior, and I'd be thrilled to drive something like that. Pretty interiors are just cosmetic to me.

i take it you don't have an extensive commute. I spend 2 hours a day in my car, it better be nice. I'll take creature comforts over a loud ass v8 with GM plastic that drones when im commuting to work :roll:

Well see that's why they make different types of cars for different types of people. I like my cars raw and without computers all up in my business telling me how to drive and I do drive a lot and drive manual tranny in LA traffic. Hell I think my Neon interior is nice but that's upgrading from a 70 Bug. I'm a simple guy.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: evident
I never understand gripes about "interiors", especially from "enthusiasts". When I'm driving, I'm not even looking at the interior - I just don't care. A race car usually has a stripped down interior, and I'd be thrilled to drive something like that. Pretty interiors are just cosmetic to me.

i take it you don't have an extensive commute. I spend 2 hours a day in my car, it better be nice. I'll take creature comforts over a loud ass v8 with GM plastic that drones when im commuting to work :roll:

You forget the point that its not considered a car for long commutes. I wouldn't take a muscle car for a 2 hour drive to get to point b from point a. If I had a V8 Mustang, I'd probably have a second car for lame daily commutes.

Mar 10, 2005
i just built a mustang on ford.com, as similarly equipped as possible to my car. final price - mustang $35,130, g35 6mt $37,500.

people that claim a huge price difference exists between the two cars can chew on that for a while.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
You never pay even close to msrp on a domestic where you are on your G35

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you can get a glass roof but not a sunroof. thanks ford.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
i just built a mustang on ford.com, as similarly equipped as possible to my car. final price - mustang $35,130, g35 6mt $37,500.

people that claim a huge price difference exists between the two cars can chew on that for a while.

I don't see how you got that. I priced a Mustang GT manual with security, comfort, GT appearance, and interior upgrade packages, and HID headlights for $31,240.

The G35 is a sedan. I priced the G37 Sport 6MT with a rear spoiler as the only option for $37,565.

A $6k increase would put the G37 out of the running for many/most people looking at a Mustang GT.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
mustang base = $19,735
mustang GT base = $26,425
G37 coupe base = $34,900 Don't see a 35 listed anymore in coupe form and the g35 sedan is still $32,250

the car i drove had a sticker price of about 31,500

$5k is an insane amount to say 'just spend the extra' with...most are pricing cars within $1k of target. $5k on this kind of car is like 20%.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
you can get a glass roof but not a sunroof. thanks ford.

The official reasoning was that the sunroof would cut into sales of the convertible. Kind of sucks, but it does make sense from a marketing point of view. Well, kind of.

The convertibles are fun, rented one a while back. Definitely less rigid than the coupes, but it's fun to drive a car where the top comes off. :)

ZV

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: heymrdj
I think the g-35 is shit ugly and that you sir are missing a car for grownups. I think the G35 is a car for women, designed for high priced high maintenanced corporate exec women. I think it's an ugly bubble and wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole. I think the Mustang has sportier handling and that it's 6 speed is designed very well. The buttons in front of the shifter give quick access to functions, and quick return to the shifter, as if controlling the thrust on an F-16.

Haha, I think the same thing about G35. :laugh:

As far as the interior goes, I drive a Mustang, and it's shit ugly in the interior, hell, it doesn't even have a fucking clock, and the CD player is fucked up, and there's no iPod port because it's a '99. Yet, I love it, I love the Steeda clutch, I love the tires, the car is an amazing thing.

And I am having so much fun I don't care about the interior, because I am too busy beating the shit out of people trying to race me with their tosser cars.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Trust me, you wouldn't want to use a race car as a daily driver though. A race car cockpit is hot, noisy and you will just get beat up driving one around. It takes some conditioning to be able to drive a race car for any length of time.

Open the windows. When you're in a race car, and you're zooming along, it gets nice frosty, even on a day like it was today. I was driving along, I had my air conditioning on, and I said, "fuck this," turned the AC off, lowered the windows, and sped away. I saved gas (well, I conserved more for the engine, but w/e) and the wind is far more powerful.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: TehMac
I think the g-35 is shit ugly and that you sir are missing a car for grownups. I think the G35 is a car for women, designed for high priced high maintenanced corporate exec women. I think it's an ugly bubble and wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole. I think the Mustang has sportier handling and that it's 6 speed is designed very well. The buttons in front of the shifter give quick access to functions, and quick return to the shifter, as if controlling the thrust on an F-16.

As far as the interior goes, I drive a Mustang, and it's shit ugly in the interior, hell, it doesn't even have a fucking clock, and the CD player is fucked up, and there's no iPod port because it's a '99. Yet, I love it, I love the Steeda clutch, I love the tires, the car is an amazing thing.

And I am having so much fun I don't care about the interior, because I am too busy beating the shit out of people trying to race me with their tosser cars.

It funny you are calling other cars 'tossers' when the Mustang was designed for those that could not afford the Corvette.

The Mustang's concept is power and some style, sacrificing creature comforts and luxury.

It's the Pabst Blue Ribbon of the car world along with the 'Camero' and Firebird.

Most people bash the higher end cars because they cannot afford them. It's quite common to see someone get a better job and then jump right into the car they were bashing.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
For the price, the Stang GT is a pretty good buy. When considering buying my next car I was in a toss up whether to go for a used GTO or go for a Mustang GT. In the end I went for the Goat and I'm pretty glad I did. The first time it breaks down though, and I've got no warranty to rely on I'll probably be crying otherwise.

LS8

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2008
I like the '05+ Mustang and I like the G35 (coupe or sedan).

Guess what people, it's ok to like them both. :)

When I buy a car I am not usually worried about if other people like it, I worry about if I like it. :)

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst
It funny you are calling other cars 'tossers' when the Mustang was designed for those that could not afford the Corvette.

The Mustang's concept is power and some style, sacrificing creature comforts and luxury.

It's the Pabst Blue Ribbon of the car world along with the 'Camero' and Firebird.

Most people bash the higher end cars because they cannot afford them. It's quite common to see someone get a better job and then jump right into the car they were bashing.

:roll:

Amazing you're posting in a thread discussing something you have no idea what you're talking about. The Corvette and the Mustang are completely out of league, in the same way the Mustang and the G35 are, for a myriad of reasons.

I love a lot of expensive cars, so I anything you said really does not apply to this conversation.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: TehMac

So. Much. Fail.

The Mustang was designed to be a stylish "secretary's car". A commuter car/young person's first car that looked good but didn't have huge amounts of power. Just look at the original engines, a straight 6 and Ford's jack-of-all-trades 260/289 V8. The thing was built on the Falcon chassis for Pete's sake.

The truly powerful Mustangs didn't come along until '67 and '68.

The Mustang was never intended to be poor man's Corvette. The Mustang's original target market was essentially the same market as is currently served by cars like the Focus or Cobalt.

ZV

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
So. Much. Fail.

The Mustang was designed to be a stylish "secretary's car". A commuter car/young person's first car that looked good but didn't have huge amounts of power. Just look at the original engines, a straight 6 and Ford's jack-of-all-trades 260/289 V8. The thing was built on the Falcon chassis for Pete's sake.

The truly powerful Mustangs didn't come along until '67 and '68.

The Mustang was never intended to be poor man's Corvette. The Mustang's original target market was essentially the same market as is currently served by cars like the Focus or Cobalt.

ZV

Yeah, essentially the Mustangs were simple sports cars, the Corvette was and still is something incredibly different.

In any case, the Mustang was essentially a Falcon with a new name and a flashier orientation.

PrISM506

Oct 24, 2004
You can keep your G35s and your Mustang GTs. I'm keeping my 04 Mustang Mach 1! It's loud, it's totally unrefined and it's just a down and dirty muscle car.