Question i bricked my gpu randomly

metalsouls

Sep 27, 2022
Out of curiosity, a simply curiosity but curiosity kill the cat, so the cat was a RX550 version with 640SP. Until this very hour, me being in East Europe which is 23, I did all sort of things. Reinstalled even windows, I use Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, the previous install didn't prompt me with "Cannot detect discrete ATI card, CMD with cd ( :d atiflash blah blah) throws a >>> adapter not found error 0FL01 <<<<< ", so the previously OS install did let me use the tool with GUI, didn't bother with CMD then but after reinstall I've tried with CMD and throws that it cannot be found. It also on top of cherry gives me KERNEL32 getfirmwaretype on any sort of driver install, I tried to update just by what else to do, my SM bus driver with auto detect utility didn't work.

I think, me typing this from what Windows shows a 48MB GPU, that somewhere this thing is trapped like some form of what you see in horror films and is all evil for a greater good so in my case. Now, below is what my situation looks like, I've tried to flash a bios from the "OC" variant, no not MSI, just simply has another version that is OC, I said what blunder more murderous than this is anywhere? is here with me, I am currently out of work tbh and I'd dislike to use the integrated iGPU from what also is a AMD, my whole system is AMD except my ram being Kingston. iGPU works ok, didn't try to install drivers but it reads it as also reads the i don't know how to call it anymore, because if it was bricked from random internet searches would've been black screen all sort of Lovecraftian blacksmiths, for me was nothing. I vividly remember launching up from Windows, load rom then click "Program", after pc froze for a while did a restart woke up with a driver unistalled ( i used 21.5.2 ). Is possible to even fix this anymore, what'd to do? I had a random USB stick laying around, but I can't flash it because "Media write protected" and the other 16 gigs stickline i have somewhere god knows where it might be, i looked after it. Just say to me if I can even bother anymore with it? I have hope not because of financial related necessarily but as we humans, have passions to invest and create all cut of arts, that being a GPU. At least image below shows, so. Thank you very much

best regards,

alex.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 10

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I would recommend booting into a livecd of Linux and running atiflash from there as the card won't be in use or bound to Windows which can cause issues.

The other issue is going to be finding the correct bin files for the card to make sure you're not putting an incompatible file onto the rom chip and causing it not to load. There might even be an easier option such as a physical switch on the card you can flip to the other bios image and have it working again.

metalsouls

Sep 27, 2022
Thank you, even though seems a bit of random mix of words. I tried to do what people call "1+8" method but that meant to unscrew this Da'Vinci enthusiast, my RX so I did I had a random Arctic thermal paste layin around since a few months ago and sadly, didn't you know found any of what you see in all RX/pre-legacy amd cards, no sort of bios chip there were 2 things which had 8 legs but were like soldered and at the knoch a bit up, i did that just just to say maybe that's my version of what people call "BIOS" chip, I saw on another forum ( don't mention, i dunno if marketing is allowed) and there were some that said that some GPU's dont have one so, he said "backup" one now, I dunno who knows.

I am not a tech affecionado by any means, I like it but at extent I know it, here I really don't. Is software, deep software and even manufactuers have a hard time pinning this sort of things down, but us, people online doing random stuff to 200$+ GPU's. If you think, in layman terms -- you can help me say, if not no. I like honesty and most of all, people who care to think twice. Don't take it wrong way.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, it's an option that comes on select cards. You have to look for it when buying if you want a backup option if you're prone to tinkering with things like we do. I had a couple of RX590's for a mining experiment and played around with different bios options because they were either slow or hot or both. I finally found one that worked well as much as it could and then finally left them to run for a few weeks and they were stable. I did repaste them though too in an attempt to cool them a bit more but, meh.

Some have a physical switch though that make it easier to switch to the untouched bios files and others have a software option instead. The idea of booting into Linux though is being able to manipulate the BIOS w/o windows being a jerk about things. Windows causes so many issues when it comes to getting down to the bios level on devices or recovering bricked devices. When you get sick of fumbling with it you'll try it and get it resolved.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

metalsouls

Sep 27, 2022
@Tech Junky

so how comes, I random install Linux, what version? what and do what?

this is a photo of someone askin where it is and says bottom, i dunno. I'll try, belive me. I am here with this thing, not you. I do have like my iGPU is similar powerful but with like at -500 cores that's all, I have a A4-6320 CPU

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Just put linux on a USB drive using Rufus and boot from it instead of installing it and then you can download atiflash to modify the BIOS and reflash the card. I use Ubuntu but, any flavor should work just fine.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

metalsouls

Sep 27, 2022
@Tech Junky

I did do as the OP said, "the bottom on the right screw", now listen. from techpowerup i did download a ati flash version that someone made a bat and asked you to "insert any bios", I inserted mine, it still says cannot drivers but be careful "critical file missing, please download and run video BIOS flash again"

metalsouls

Sep 27, 2022
that, I did download now ati flash 2.84 since i was never able to use 3.11 and with run as administrator says "cannot find discrete ati card" now, all this in a matter of sec so i think something moves here. What

metalsouls

Sep 27, 2022
I've found my 16 gig stick, burned ROM+dos tool using Rufus, now I have a bootable DOS. All good, I go into DOS me thinkin is finally over and still "Adapter not found" windows tries to search a driver for "PCI DEVICE, PCI TO PCI BRIDGE" means, probably some memory related. Me thinks, this chip was fried in process and thats it