Question I bought a Samsung Neo G8

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I just hooked up my Samsung Neo G8 4K monitor and so far, I have been mightily impressed. Doom Eternal with HDR turned on at 4K is an enormous image enhancer to be sure. One question I have though, is that I used a high quality HDMI 2.1 cable to connect it to my GPU. However, I am seeing well above 120 FPS at 4K in Doom Eternal. It made me wonder because I heard that HDMI 2.1 is limited to 120Hz at 4K.

Now I am using G-sync and I have V-sync turned off. But still, I thought there would be a hard 120Hz limit. Can someone explain to me how this is possible?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Very nice!

Not sure about Gsync, but if it is like FreeSync it is not "limited" by the monitors refresh rate.

In short, it will keep making frames beyond the monitors refresh rate, and just show the most recent frame when the monitor is ready to update.

When it drops below the monitors refresh rate it will display the frame immediately when it becomes available.

Bit different then v-sync in that aspect.

Reactions: Carfax83

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Very nice!

Not sure about Gsync, but if it is like FreeSync it is not "limited" by the monitors refresh rate.

Yeah this monitor isn't really Gsync certified, but it still works well and I don't see any screen tearing at all and the frame latency is very smooth.

In short, it will keep making frames beyond the monitors refresh rate, and just show the most recent frame when the monitor is ready to update.

I wonder if doing so cancels my HDR 10 bit. HDMI 2.1 is good at 4K up to 120Hz, but if you go beyond that you probably lose out on the 10 bit color depth as it doesn't have the bandwidth.

Jul 27, 2020
I wonder if doing so cancels my HDR 10 bit. HDMI 2.1 is good at 4K up to 120Hz, but if you go beyond that you probably lose out on the 10 bit color depth as it doesn't have the bandwidth.
Possible that the monitor is set to use something lower than 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, using lesser bandwidth and allowing the rest to be used for pushing more frames?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
It does not.

The extra frame or frames just sit in the GPU frame buffer, and then are sent to the monitor when the time comes. As a complete frame.

It has no effect on HDR or Displayport bandwidth.

Possible that the monitor is set to use something lower than 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, using lesser bandwidth and allowing the rest to be used for pushing more frames?
You are thinking about it incorrectly. The monitor does not have a frame buffer, it just displays what is ever coming down the line. All of the framebuffers are on the GPU.

Normal mode:
The monitor constantly updates the screen with whatever is coming down the cable. The framebuffer on the GPU can be updated at any time, resulting in the top part of what is displayed on the monitor coming from frame A, and the bottom part coming from frame B. This can cause tearing.

Vertical-Sync:
What v-sync does is hold the frame in the framebuffer on the GPU, stopping the GPU from updating the frame buffer. This frame is streamed to the monitor unchanged top to bottom to the monitor, and displayed intact. While this is happening the GPU renders the next frame. After rendering the frame, the GPU sits and does nothing, until the monitor finishes its refresh of the screen. It then places the next frame in the GPUs framebuffer in sync with the monitors Vertical Synchronization. Then it begins rendering the next frame. If the GPU is not ready with the next frame when the Vertical Sync time moment occurs, the previous frame in the frame buffer is just streamed to the monitor a second time until the GPU is ready. This caps the FPS on the GPU to the monitors max refresh rate, and decreases frames per second.

FreeSync/Gsync:
The GPU now effectively has multiple "frame buffers". What happens depends on:
A. GPU limited, monitor refresh greater then gpu FPS
--- After having framebuffer A streamed to the monitor, the monitor stops updating and waits for framebuffer B to be ready.
--- The GPU immediately sends framebuffer B to the monitor as soon as it is finished, which the monitor immediately displays as it receives it.
--- While framebuffer B is being sent to the monitor, the GPU begins rendering an new frame into framebuffer A.
--- the two frame buffers basically are swapped back and forth, with the GPU rendering to one, while streaming the contents of the other to the monitor
--- no need to wait to send frames
--- no need to sit and do nothing while waiting for vertical sync
--- frames are displayed on the monitor as soon as they are available, with frames typically not being sent twice

B. Monitor limited, GPU FPS greater then Monitor refresh
--- framebuffer A is stream to the monitor
--- GPU finishes rendering to framebuffer B before framebuffer A is done, GPU starts rendering to framebuffer C
--- Monitor finishes showing framebuffer A, GPU immediately sends it framebuffer B.
--- GPU finishes framebuffer C, framebuffer B still being transferred to monitor
--- GPU finishes framebuffer D, framebuffer B still being transferred to monitor, discards framebuffer C, starts framebuffer E
--- GPU finishes sending framebuffer B to the monitor, starts sending framebuffer D, skipping C, while working on E
--- and so on

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I have a stuck green pixel on the damn monitor! :mad:

I spent the last hour trying to get rid of it by using the color cycling tools you can find online and that didn't work. I also tried massing it with a wet microfiber cloth and that didn't work either. *sigh* I've only had this monitor for a week, do you think I should return it while I can and get a replacement?

Are stuck pixels permanent or temporary? I'm sure it's a stuck pixel and not a dead one because it's green. Any advice welcome.

• Wow
Reactions: Leeea

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I tried all of the techniques to get it to become unstuck and it has resisted my every attempt unfortunately. What a bummer. I just don't have any luck with Samsung monitors. I remember I had a Samsung 305T 16:10 2560x1600 30 inch monitor about 13 years ago and I went through RMA hell with it. I think I RMA'd it twice and the second time they sent me back a refurbished model and it also had a stuck pixel as well. None of my other monitors have ever had a stuck pixel other than the &^#%$*!! Samsung!

I think I'm going to return it for a replacement. Thing is, this monitor's image quality at 4K with HDR is ASTOUNDING! Being a PVA monitor it has naturally deep contrast levels and it also has 1196 FALD zones and the black levels are very close to OLED levels and with HDR10+ capabilities, it just nails it. That's why I bought it. You can't find a better monitor with these kinds of specs for this price.

But being Samsung it has poor quality control. I noticed that it can sometimes have difficulty getting out of standby mode, and there's been a few times where I've had to reboot my system because the monitor lost the HDMI 2.1 signal from the GPU for some reason after waking up from sleep.

I hate returning stuff, because now I'm going to have to put it back in the box :disappointed:

Jul 27, 2020
That sucks. The only time I got really, really tempted by Samsung was with one of their quantum dot 4K TVs that was the only one in existence at the time with 100% DCI-P3 coverage. What kept me from pulling the trigger was that it didn't have FALD zones. I still think if I had bought it, it would have been stunning in everything except dark scenes which may not be a deal breaker for most people but I watch my content in dim light so any imperfections in dark scenes are amplified.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Now I am using G-sync and I have V-sync turned off. But still, I thought there would be a hard 120Hz limit. Can someone explain to me how this is possible?

G-Sync is a display-side functionality that controls when your display refreshes based upon when the source generates a full frame. It has no functionality to limit frame generation on the source. On the other hand, V-Sync is designed to limit frame generation to an easily divisible ratio (i.e., 30 FPS on a 60Hz display, 40 FPS on a 120Hz display, etc.) or to a rate above it. That means that V-Sync will happily cap your refresh rate at 120 FPS to avoid tearing. One option that you can use is to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and set the V-Sync value to "Fast", which only allows V-Sync to kick in above your monitor's refresh rate.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
do you think I should return it while I can and get a replacement?

Are stuck pixels permanent or temporary? I'm sure it's a stuck pixel and not a dead one because it's green. Any advice welcome.

For a 1499 monitor your asking me if you should replace it if its not perfect?
HELLZ YES you should, do not give samsung ANY slack when it comes to monitors that expensive, if you can replace it.
They have one of the worst dead pixel warranty so if you can get the place you bought at do a exchange, and have them deal with samsung on the RMA, 10000000000% hurry and replace it before that windows closes.

And its very iffy about black pixels.
Basically if you already spent 3 hours doing whatever you found on the web trying to fix it, its there to stay forever.

Congrats on the monitor tho.
I am waiting for cyber monday to see what is available.
I am currently eyeing the eldest sister of your monitor, the Odyssey Ark, but i will not even consider it until the price is thrown down to about 2499, which its close at right now being 2799, but not yet there.

Reactions: Leeea and Carfax83

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I am currently eyeing the eldest sister of your monitor, the Odyssey Ark, but i will not even consider it until the price is thrown down to about 2499, which its close at right now being 2799, but not yet there.

I really wish that thing supported multiple inputs being displayed at once. The fact that the additional displays only support smart functions is just a no-go for me. I was eyeing it as an option in my monitor search prior to that though!

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The fact that the additional displays only support smart functions is just a no-go for me.

i hear you... although i really do not think i will use it.
At most if will probably use display fusion and seperate the 3 zones that way. It would be in permanent portrait.
But as i am getting older, the 32inch 4k icons and letters are seemly becoming harder to read. :tearsofjoy:
I went though a 48 inch OLED prior, and that size seemed perfect for 4k, but that TV went back to Amazon because i ran into a burn in issue on the 24th day.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
But as i am getting older, the 32inch 4k icons and letters are seemly becoming harder to read. :tearsofjoy:

That was actually one thing that I worried about when looking for a monitor! The worst part is that unless you have a good store close by that has demo models, you have no choice but to buy-n-try. It's a bit problematic since you end up paying things like restocking fees or dealing with relatively short return windows... especially if you find yourself busy! (Samsung's is 15 days.)

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
For a 1499 monitor your asking me if you should replace it if its not perfect?
HELLZ YES you should, do not give samsung ANY slack when it comes to monitors that expensive, if you can replace it.
They have one of the worst dead pixel warranty so if you can get the place you bought at do a exchange, and have them deal with samsung on the RMA, 10000000000% hurry and replace it before that windows closes.

And its very iffy about black pixels.
Basically if you already spent 3 hours doing whatever you found on the web trying to fix it, its there to stay forever.

Congrats on the monitor tho.
I am waiting for cyber monday to see what is available.
With a military discount of $280 on the Ark, I can get it down to $2520 right now. If you're a veteran, verify it with Samsung. If not, find a willing veteran to help you out.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
im actually thinking about the LG OLED monitor with the best buy geek service warrenty.
Its 4 yrs with burn in protection, so if it ever burns in, i hear they will fix it, or refund the price on the monitor.

The monitor supposedly has better burn in protection then the TV.

This way i can use it even with a slight burn in, until it gets really noticeable and have them replace it.

Its a bit more expensive then getting the C2, however i want a real monitor with real sleep, and a DP port.

Last edited:

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
im actually thinking about the LG OLED monitor with the best buy geek service warrenty.
Its 4 yrs with burn in protection, so if it ever burns in, i hear they will fix it, or refund the price on the monitor.

The monitor supposedly has better burn in protection then the TV.

This way i can use it even with a slight burn in, until it gets really noticeable and have them replace it.

Its a bit more expensive then getting the C2, however i want a real monitor with real sleep, and a DP port.
That's a nice looking screen. It would be too big for me the way my eyes focus on things.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
windows has a convenient scaling feature.

pretty easy to select between 100% to 175% scaling.

Prefer 125% myself.

im using multi monitor, and i can't tell you how bad scaling works when u move something from one screen to the next, unless its the same resolution.
So i hate scaling... and would rather go about a more hardware approach then a software solution.

The monitor is $1000 right now.

Yep and with the 4 yr extended geeksquad it puts it at around 1149.
So basically 4 yrs of not having to worry about burn in's, and i can take it any best buys for them to attempt to fix or replace.

Id think i have more things to worry like best buys going out of business before i would need to worry about claiming the actual RMA.

That's a nice looking screen. It would be too big for me the way my eyes focus on things.

Actually i came to the conclusion at the distance i am sitting a 42 is the most optimum size for a 4k monitor.
The 48 would be a little bit bigger, but its not as bad as a 55 inch.

Last edited: