I am teh suck at getting part time/seasonal job :(

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Trying to get about 20-25 hours of supplemental (retail) work per week so I can pay off some medical bills quicker. Yet, for whatever reason, I can't even get as much as a call-back. I've applied to Garden Ridge, Belk, Target and BJ's (all were hiring for part time/seasonal jobs). I've got a college degree, been working full-time with same company since 1993 so my work history is solid, can work any night of the week and all weekend long. No past criminal records or drug problems and I'm in great shape. And I live within 1 mile of the places I've applied to so even with car troubles, I could still make it in.

Only thing I can think of is:

1. I'm asking for too much money but I don't feel $8/hour for part time/seasonal is asking too much or is it?
2. They see what I make right now and that I've been with same company for so long, therefore they may feel I don't truly need the job and could bail on them at any time.

Or maybe they just need daytime help only. I give up. :(

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: 49erinnc
Trying to get about 20-25 hours of supplemental (retail) work per week so I can pay off some medical bills quicker. Yet, for whatever reason, I can't even get as much as a call-back. I've applied to Garden Ridge, Belk, Target and BJ's (all were hiring for part time/seasonal jobs). I've got a college degree, been working full-time with same company since 1993 so my work history is solid, can work any night of the week and all weekend long. No past criminal records or drug problems and I'm in great shape. And I live within 1 mile of the places I've applied to so even with car troubles, I could still make it in.

1. I'm asking for too much money but I don't feel $8/hour for part time/seasonal is asking too much or is it?
2. They see what I make right now and that I've been with same company for so long, therefore they may feel I don't truly need the job and could bail on them at any time.

#2 is your answer.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

On the resume, don't include the college degree or any professional background that might make you look overqualified.

Billzie7718

Sep 2, 2005
Let me know how this goes. I am also looking for part-time work with no success. I work in IT so I could probably get a good paying second gig, but I don't really want to work with computers 24/7. My eyes are already getting bad from staring at LCDs all day long.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

On the resume, don't include the college degree or any professional background that might make you look overqualified.

With all modesty, I figured that may be the case. I just felt it was a bit unethical to not be honest on the application forms. Granted, I'm not wealthy but I do make enough money to support myself without part-time work. So I guess they just see me as overqualified and too much of a flight risk. Just odd because a couple of the places were hiring solely for "seasonal" work, which would lead me to believe that I'd be a perfect candidate since they know going in that it's not a long-term thing.

Oh well. Guess I'll try a few other places since the holiday season is getting into high gear.

ArchCenturion

Aug 6, 2006
Try a Christmas Tree Lot? I did it a couple years ago, it was fun, and sometimes you get tips. Usually minimum wage though. But you will always smell like pine.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

With all modesty, I figured that may be the case. I just felt it was a bit unethical to not be honest on the application forms. Granted, I'm not wealthy but I do make enough money to support myself without part-time work. So I guess they just see me as overqualified and too much of a flight risk. Just odd because a couple of the places were hiring solely for "seasonal" work, which would lead me to believe that I'd be a perfect candidate since they know going in that it's not a long-term thing.

Oh well. Guess I'll try a few other places since the holiday season is getting into high gear.

Have you gone to the local mall and applied at the retail stores like GAP, etc? They're always looking for seasonal help. I remember back in the day when I worked at GAP, they werent enough people to work during the holiday season.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
try www.actionlink.com I worked for them doing product demos for Panasonic when I was in college. They paid $16/hr and can give you 8-16/hrs a week. Just working saturday and sunday.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Make your application to reflect you are a college student and omit your current employer. Its a seasonal job... what are they going to do if they ever found out?