I am struggling with the decision to upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
So we all need xeons to surf the net now? wow now ive herd everything. Im starting to agree with Virtual Larry that everyone on anandtech is totally out of touch with reality when it comes to what type of hardware is needed and usable for a given task.

I was using a Core2 Quad until 2014 before hopping aboard the devil's canyon Haswell refresh. Sure, I wasn't playing Crysis 3 at max graphics, but my computer still worked for what I wanted to use it for. WoW - Minecraft - 1080p. Never ran across a game on steam that wouldn't work or would run so slowly as to be unplayable.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Wait let me see if I get what you are saying. Ryzen is DOA because it will not score as high in Google Octane benchmark as Skylake? And because Skylake , to put it bluntly, "accelerates your internet" ??
Nice logic there.
Its true though. I'm not buying a product that regresses my web performance. I spend much more time on the web than gaming or encoding. And for encoding, speed doesnt matter anyway because you're not waiting. A few fps doesnt matter in gaming. What matters is web performance. Just look at how fast the iphone is compared to android. Web surfing on android is a hair pulling exercise in disgrace. iPhones render some web pages literally 3 times as fast. As much as I love to hate on apple, they are 3 years ahead of qualcomm in terms of web performance.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Its true though. I'm not buying a product that regresses my web performance. I spend much more time on the web than gaming or encoding. And for encoding, speed doesnt matter anyway because you're not waiting. A few fps doesnt matter in gaming. What matters is web performance. Just look at how fast the iphone is compared to android. Web surfing on android is a hair pulling exercise in disgrace. iPhones render some web pages literally 3 times as fast. As much as I love to hate on apple, they are 3 years ahead of qualcomm in terms of web performance.

Your error in above logic is that you equate yourself with majority of buyers. That is simply not true. If Ryzen scores (just hypothetical) 10% or 15% lower in said benchmark, that will absolutely mean nothing for "faster" loading times since all of those are measured in milliseconds.