Question I am planning on Resetting my Windows 10 PC. Is the recommended software for backing up my installed apps?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
My Windows 10 laptop is misbehaving and I am considering using the Reset This PC function. Is there an application that backup the installed applications? It would make this process go a lot easier.

Thanks
Siddhartha

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Correct. I would still make backups though. That said, what issues are you having with the laptop? It could be a hardware issue.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
This started happening a couple of weeks ago, it stopped recognizing both wireless and ethernet and it doesn't allow turning them on. It would only show the button for Airplane Mode. Before that it randomly crash and show either the black screen or blue screen of death. It was misbehaving in other ways too.
It is a 10+ year old 18 inch Alien ware laptop

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Isn't alien a dell brand? If so, you could try pressing f12 or f2, and select the diagnostics. Might tell you if the hardware tests good, or what tested bad.

Reactions: Siddhartha

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I'd suspect since it just started all at once that you may have gotten a bad driver update download via Windows update. You might try rolling the drivers back to see if that resolves the problem. It also wouldn't hurt (after backing up your files) to use DISM to restore health as well as run a CHKDSK /f session to check for file system corruption.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I'd suspect since it just started all at once that you may have gotten a bad driver update download via Windows update. You might try rolling the drivers back to see if that resolves the problem. It also wouldn't hurt (after backing up your files) to use DISM to restore health as well as run a CHKDSK /f session to check for file system corruption.
That was the first thing I did. The computer said since there hadn't been an update in over 10 days that it wasn't possible. This was new to me...