"i am looking for a mid-level server guy"

takeru

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2002
our IT boss wants to hire what he says is a "mid-level server guy." beyond that, he just says, "its up to you." great... just what are the requirements of a mid-level server guy anyway? :/

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: takeru
our IT boss wants to hire what he says is a "mid-level server guy." beyond that, he just says, "its up to you." great... just what are the requirements of a mid-level server guy anyway? :/

aren't the requirements up to him?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
uh, that could be anything... a hardware monkey, low-level admin... who knows, that's a pretty broad stroke.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sounds like somebody with 5 years of real experience. Not SME level but not low level either.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
if mid level is 5 years of experience, then what is a high level server guy?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar

10+ years. Expert level. Basically somebody that has done it all before and now spends their career telling other people what to do.

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
First figure out what kind of OS they're going to be respobsible for - Windows, Unix (what flavor), Linux, mixed environment, etc.

Then make a list of the major software running on those boxes. If you run a lot of Oracle, you probably want an admin with experience supporting Oracle.

Then figure out any additional skills you'd like (networking, Unix guy who's comfortable with Windows, etc) and list those as "...additional preference will be given to people with (fill in the blank)..."

Go from there.

Dave

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
I'm guessing around lvl 30, has mostly blue gear, maybe an epic?

epics at level 30......intense.

Fiery War Axe FTW...wait, that's lvl40.

I don't think there are any epics until lvl 40-41

at least that's what I heard

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
I would say four to five years, understanding of Windows, Linux, and any other OS's you have in your environment, fundamentals of networking (how subnets work, calculating them, etc.), and some basic project management skills.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Czar

10+ years. Expert level. Basically somebody that has done it all before and now spends their career telling other people what to do.

Spidey know absolutely everything about everything. However, you may want to factor in the information that he lives in a shitty red state that readily takes welfare from blue states. This probably means that 10+ years really means fresh out of an associates degree, and expert to mean "knows what a router is." Just an FYI.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
I'm guessing around lvl 30, has mostly blue gear, maybe an epic?

epics at level 30......intense.

Fiery War Axe FTW...wait, that's lvl40.

I don't think there are any epics until lvl 40-41

at least that's what I heard

I don't play WoW anymore, but I looked it up on thottbot and there is in fact a new epic wearable pre-30: http://thottbot.com/i34227