I am happy that i use an adblocker because it protects against malvertising ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
I run ublock origin and adblock plus on chrome at the same time. Together they block just about everything and dont noticeably slow things down at all.

If a site wont let me enter with an ad blocker on I wont go to that site. Its not as if there is only one source of that content. And if I really had to visit a site like that there are linux VMs or android.

If they think im going to go to any website on a windows PC with no adblocker they are mistaken.

May 11, 2008
But you are running Flash? Seems rather hypocritical to run an adblocker because of malware but you have a machine running Flash. It seems more like you just want to block ads and are rationalizing your behavior.

-KeithP

I have flash, and before the 45 update of firefox, i could leave flash disabled and let firefox ask me if i want to enable flash on a per webpage basis. But that option is gone in firefox since i went to version 45, Currently 45.0.2.
Now there is some adobe content drm module that i cannot set in "ask to activate" mode.

And even if i have flash or not, that is not hypocritical when most sites use flash for normal functions besides ads. The sites often becomes unusable without flash. And as mentioned, the more advanced exploits seek for vulnerabilities in silverlight and java as well. All though i admit that flash seems to take the cake when it comes to vulnerabilities.

I rationalize to use an adblocker because some ads are so intrusive that i got fed up. If you want me to view ads, that is fine but you will make sure that there is no interactive ads. No video. No sounds. All i want is a static non moving picture with a link button when i am interested. If you cannot provide that, i will use adblock to block your ad. And now i must use an adblocker because the ad content providers do not take fast enough action to take counter measures against those exploits.

May 11, 2008
Well, i just re installed flash and it is visible in in the plugin section now and set to "ask to activate". Since the firefox upgrade to version 45 something went wrong i guess.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Every now and then I feel guilty and on certain sites I like I turn adblock off. But then either a story comes out about ads delivering malware (and I recall that happening on this very site a few years back), or the site for which I turned adblock off decides to run a particularly obnoxious, automatically-playing-video or ludicrously large advert. So then adblock goes back on again.

Also I find script blockers are a pain in that you often have to gradually turn each script in turn back on again to find the one that is actually necessary for a site to work. Some sites seem to have hundreds of scripts running, only a few of which actually do anything worthwhile.

May 11, 2008
Every now and then I feel guilty and on certain sites I like I turn adblock off. But then either a story comes out about ads delivering malware (and I recall that happening on this very site a few years back), or the site for which I turned adblock off decides to run a particularly obnoxious, automatically-playing-video or ludicrously large advert. So then adblock goes back on again.

Also I find script blockers are a pain in that you often have to gradually turn each script in turn back on again to find the one that is actually necessary for a site to work. Some sites seem to have hundreds of scripts running, only a few of which actually do anything worthwhile.

I have the same issue. I had adblock disabled on the sites without intrusive ads and one of the sites www.nu.nl was one of the websites with the malvertising ad from the content provider. Out of precaution, AT included i have enabled the adblocker again.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
When too many users use adblock, you're going to have a situation like this: http://www.kbb.com/ Where every site you visit says you can only access the content if you turn off adblocker.

I block ads at the router, and that site works just fine for me.

Forbes or fortune does this too

Yep, and they punished those who did turn off their adblock. As long as they keep giving me reasons beyond "simply annoying" to continue blocking ads, I will continue to block ads.