I am happy that i use an adblocker because it protects against malvertising ?

May 11, 2008
As it turns out, several news sites and other sites in the Netherlands were compromised with an ad that installs a ransomware virus. But since i have an adblocker i should have been save. I think i will keep my adblocker active. Malvertising seems to be popular. The problem only seems to exist on windows os based machines.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
As it turns out, several news sites and other sites in the Netherlands were compromised with an ad that installs a ransomware virus. But since i have an adblocker i should have been save. I think i will keep my adblocker active. Malvertising seems to be popular. The problem only seems to exist on windows os based machines.

Of course, it "seems" to exist only on Windows based OS because Windows based OSes are used in about 80% of desktop machines.

May 11, 2008
Of course, it "seems" to exist only on Windows based OS because Windows based OSes are used in about 80% of desktop machines.

That is not the issue. Do not be so overly sensitive whenever someone mentions a problem with windows. D: The real issue is that an adblocker might be a safer way to browse because it helps to protect against malvertising. Not a good thing for sites living of ads and forcing website visitors to disable their adblockers.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
That is not the issue. Do not be so overly sensitive whenever someone mentions a problem with windows. D: The real issue is that an adblocker might be a safer way to browse because it helps to protect against malvertising. Not a good thing for sites living of ads and forcing website visitors to disable their adblockers.

I am not being overly sensitive, I just don't want anyone spreading misinformation. You do realize that there are quite a few Mac users who believe they don't need any malware protection because they think MacOSX can't be infected with malware right?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I am not being overly sensitive, I just don't want anyone spreading misinformation. You do realize that there are quite a few Mac users who believe they don't need any malware protection because they think MacOSX can't be infected with malware right?

I think the appropriate phrasing is "Mac users tend to not use Malware protection because the odds of being infected on OSX are incredibly low"

May 11, 2008

I know some MAC users like that. If they want to believe that, i am fine with it. Good luck to them. But i just found out that Microsoft silverlight can be vulnerable as well next to java and flash. When i check for silverlight updates, i do not see that i am up to date. Just a version number is displayed and that i am ready to use silver light.
It would have been nice if they would just give a message that silverlight is up to date. Java and flash display the latest version for comparison and/or an up to date message.
But does the angler exploit kit only work on windows ?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Every time I access sites from a computer without AdBlock, I am reminded just how great this addon is.

May 11, 2008
Interesting read :

https://blog.fox-it.com/2014/08/27/malvertising-not-all-java-from-java-com-is-legitimate/

Isn’t it ironic getting a Java exploit via java.com, the primary source for one of the most common used browser plugins? Current malvertising campaigns are able to do this. This blog post details a relatively new trend: real-time advertisement bidding platforms being infiltrated by cyber criminals spreading malware.

Usage of Adblockers

In cases of malvertising on websites ad blockers are usually effective in blocking redirects.
However, on the case of Skype on May 15th it would have been insufficient. Most adblockers are part of the Browsers as an add-on, incapable of filtering for other applications. Skype makes use of Adobe Flash to display certain advertisements, this happens to be a plugin which the Angler can exploit.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Every time I access sites from a computer without AdBlock, I am reminded just how great this addon is.

Pretty much. Especially Youtube omg. It's gotten ridiculous. These companies are insane if they expect people to deal with that without using an adblocker. Some of the longer videos even have commercials in between.

There's probably a way on mobile to block that stuff too, just never looked too deeply as I rarely use mobile for that but that's when I realize just how bad it is.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Pretty much. Especially Youtube omg. It's gotten ridiculous. These companies are insane if they expect people to deal with that without using an adblocker. Some of the longer videos even have commercials in between.

how dare people try to profit off their creations, those mother fuckers.

May 11, 2008
It is insane with commercials on youtube. One or more at the start, several in between and on the end. It is just to much.

Here is another link explaining about the exploit. That is some serious stuff.
Good thing i keep everything up to date and have a virusscanner that also scans websites(which only works when it can recognize the exploit).

https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/ultimate-guide-angler-exploit-kit-non-technical-people/

So how do cyber criminals spread Angler to that Internet users like you and me get infected?

Attackers rely on 3 major tactics to reach as many PCs as they can:

Malvertising
Malicious iFrames
Malicious code injection.

Malvertising is when cyber criminals use online advertising to distribute malware. They infiltrate content distribution networks that are in charge of deploying online advertisements on websites. The servers that work to do this are usually quite vulnerable, so it’s not a challenge for attackers to get in.
Once they’re in, they can infect all the banners in the network with malicious code, in this case, redirects that lead to Angler landing pages. So websites as big as The Huffington Post, Mashable or others could be endangering their visitors without knowing it.
By using malvertising, cyber criminals can reach a huge numbers of Internet users at once. We’re talking millions!

And there’s another way that Angler can get into your system: iFrames. This is a way to insert content from another website on the website you’re visiting. So you could be reading an article on The New York Times and the page could host malicious content from another website. This type of malicious content will also redirect users to Angler exploit kit pages, where the infection will be triggered.

Of course, there’s also the situation in which attackers choose to inject malicious code into various websites. This code will also feed traffic to the web pages creates to spread Angler and the consequent malware infections.

All these 3 tactics rely on leveraging the trust that visitors have in big websites. Cyber criminals also correlate this trust factor with the exploit kit’s ability to remain undetected while the infection takes place. It’s a dreadful combination that fools too many victims who are very often unaware that such dangers even exist.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
A long time ago I found out about Sandboxie. It just seemed like no-brainer to isolate my internet facing apps (browsers, pdf readers, internet media players, email program, etc.) from the rest of my computer. It along with my browser add-ons (ublock, noscript), standard user account and most everything up to date gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling when I'm surfing the internet.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yea, not going to feel any guilt. Get your crap straight, or go away. It's not like this is something new, they are just too lazy to fix it.

May 11, 2008
A long time ago I found out about Sandboxie. It just seemed like no-brainer to isolate my internet facing apps (browsers, pdf readers, internet media players, email program, etc.) from the rest of my computer. It along with my browser add-ons (ublock, noscript), standard user account and most everything up to date gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling when I'm surfing the internet.

I have heard about that, sandboxie. I might use that too.

May 11, 2008
Yea, not going to feel any guilt. Get your crap straight, or go away. It's not like this is something new, they are just too lazy to fix it.

What kind of software do these ad content providers like appnexus run ? I mean they must have some server software that provides all those ads right ?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
What kind of software do these ad content providers like appnexus run ? I mean they must have some server software that provides all those ads right ?

Most ads are centralized ad servers. The sites obviously don't own them or have any control over them, but someone needs to be held accountable.

Instead in typical capitalistic fashion, they just want the rewards w/o any of the work or responsibility. People have known that ad servers are serving up malicious ads for...oh...since it became a thing, yet here we are. They certainly don't try to filter and/or prevent it.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
When too many users use adblock, you're going to have a situation like this: http://www.kbb.com/ Where every site you visit says you can only access the content if you turn off adblocker.