I almost got a free ride to Caltech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I told the owner of 16 McDonald's stores in our area (one of which I work at) that I would mention him in a book, call the first particle I find "Mc Particle" and its wave the "Descher Wave" (his last name), if he would pay for me to pursue at doctorate at Cal Tech.

He thought about it, but finally decided against it.

:(

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I told the owner of 16 McDonald's stores in our area (one of which I work at) that I would mention him in a book, call the first particle I find "Mc Particle" and its wave the "Descher Wave" (his last name), if he would pay for me to pursue at doctorate at Cal Tech.

He thought about it, but finally decided against it.

:(

um ok.....

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
rolleye.gif
| | <-- that close eh?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
if you get accepted into a doctorate program, they generally will have funding for you in one way or another (ta, ra)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ThaChemist
Are you actually coming to Caltech next year?
Alas, no.

I'd love to. I'd love to go to Caltech or MIT and never leave the campus. I'd devote my soul to research.

It's far, far, far too expensive, and I don't have the grades to get in. I piddled around in high school. I'm going to a community college, because I can't afford anything else. My plan is this:

Community College:AS Math
Local University:BS Math/Physics
Louisiana State:MS Math/Physics/Astronomy
Caltech/MIT: PhD Math/Physics/Astronomy

I'm going to get a doctorate, one way or the other.

ThaChemist

Apr 25, 2003
Don't give up hope too quickly. If you've got the brains for it, you will be here - I know there's folks who transferred in from Pasadena City College (not knockin' it, but it's not super-prestigious or anything). And gopunk is right - Caltech is especially good at funding both its grads and undergrads. Depending on department, you may get more/less aid, but something will be there. I say go for it - the worst they'll tell you is no, right?

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Chaotic.....you gotta lay off the pipe man.

Gain some perspective and bring your sites lower. If messed around in HS, you'll have less opportunities to do so at Caltech.

You can still get a grad school degree somewhere though. The community college plan looks good...