Hypothetical: The Secession of Western Canada

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Since I view Canada like a brother to the US, "joining" would just be too incestuous.

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Punter
Not going to happen. BC is nowhere near Alberta politically, especially when it comes to Separatists. Even in Alberta Separatist numbers are practically 0. What they lack in number they make up with loud mouths.

If a government is formed that includes the bloc separtists anything can happen. People are really getting riled up here.

You live in a dream world. Harper was perfectly willing to make deals with the Bloc.

Not by giving them cabinet positions!

whooptedo! Harper fucked up and now you want to separate? Makes sense to me. :roll:

Wanted to separate for a long time. Now it is starting to seem a more sensible notion than ever before. I want to separate because it would mean a better future for my family. Not just by the economic prosperity it would bring but also in the sense of pride we could have in ourselves.

While we love our country, continually being subject to the whims of the east has not made us proud Canadians out here. It is demoralizing to be considered second class citizens, to be governed without hope of equal representation and to see our provincial treasuries plundered by the east.

The level of discontent is growing. Maybe it will take another 15 years for a majority of westerners to get to the point I am at.

Having the Bloc become part of a government is a major insult for western Canada. We know that Quebec would be in deep shit without our wealth of resources. To put a party in power over us that has absolutely no respect for us is an absolute disgrace. A party that only cares about one province should not be allowed to have power over all.

I will say it again. I love Canada. We could be such an awesome nation if we would all work together and pull our own weight. Unfortunately that is not the case. Since this will never change, the best option for Western Canada may be to secede.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Wait....so you are saying that non-French Canada isnt part of the US already? :laugh:

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Wanted to separate for a long time. Now it is starting to seem a more sensible notion than ever before. I want to separate because it would mean a better future for my family. Not just by the economic prosperity it would bring but also in the sense of pride we could have in ourselves.

While we love our country, continually being subject to the whims of the east has not made us proud Canadians out here. It is demoralizing to be considered second class citizens, to be governed without hope of equal representation and to see our provincial treasuries plundered by the east.

The level of discontent is growing. Maybe it will take another 15 years for a majority of westerners to get to the point I am at.

Having the Bloc become part of a government is a major insult for western Canada. We know that Quebec would be in deep shit without our wealth of resources. To put a party in power over us that has absolutely no respect for us is an absolute disgrace. A party that only cares about one province should not be allowed to have power over all.

I will say it again. I love Canada. We could be such an awesome nation if we would all work together and pull our own weight. Unfortunately that is not the case. Since this will never change, the best option for Western Canada may be to secede.

How quickly Albertans forget about how they sucked Ontario's fat manufacturing tit for so long.

Hint: Oil is not the future. It might be good in Alberta now, but it won't be forever, and that's where having a diverse economy provided by the rest of the country will help. How well do you think Alberta will be doing if oil stays low or goes even lower?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Champ
actually we would be very viable as a seperate country...and us albertians love BC...besides the hippies of course

but theoreitically we are very capible of seperation and would survive quite well....we gots oil uranium wheat cow contential divide so water coal timber fish we would be fine

you wouldn't have a deepwater port, hence you would be a failed state.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
I wouldn't be surprised if something happens like this in the future, either through dissolution of Canada as the entity as we know it or as a forceful takeover at some point.

The US is not going to take over any part of Canada. :roll:

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
actually we would be very viable as a seperate country...and us albertians love BC...besides the hippies of course

but theoreitically we are very capible of seperation and would survive quite well....we gots oil uranium wheat cow contential divide so water coal timber fish we would be fine

i'm not sure what that is but according to wikipedia bc has 4

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com

Having the Bloc become part of a government is a major insult for western Canada.

The Bloc is not part of the Coalition government. They simply agreed not to vote against them on matters of confidence for 18 months. Do you guys even understand how Westminster parliamentarism works or have you been so brainwashed by republicanism spread through American television?

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
whooptedo! Harper fucked up and now you want to separate? Makes sense to me. :roll:

Typically childish: can't get my way so I'll go away.:roll: Grow up, Albertans!:frown:

separatism is fairly old in Alberta...actually we were one of the first to complain because of the liberal majorities with sub 50% of the vote

i'm not an Alberta separatist but my father is and it is conceivable...my personal opinion is the reform of Canadian government to ensure fairness

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

as far as my understanding of this thread goes, we are only talking about Alberta and Saskatchewan because BC are hippies and would really have no interest in this stupidity.

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
Originally posted by: silverpig

Hint: Oil is not the future. It might be good in Alberta now, but it won't be forever, and that's where having a diverse economy provided by the rest of the country will help. How well do you think Alberta will be doing if oil stays low or goes even lower?

Oil will be a good source of wealth for at least 20 more years. The fact is that when tough times come I do not expect the rest of Canada to help us. There is no incentive for the east to help us. We have virtually no representation in the federal government compared to Ontario and Quebec. We know that people out east do not give two shits about us. The fact is that when the oil dries up the east will also be hurting and care about us that much less.

All of that is why western Canadians would be better off alone or as part of another nation that allows greater autonomy and representation to its territories.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Not going to happen. BC is nowhere near Alberta politically, especially when it comes to Separatists. Even in Alberta Separatist numbers are practically 0. What they lack in number they make up with loud mouths.

If a government is formed that includes the bloc separtists anything can happen. People are really getting riled up here.

You live in a dream world. Harper was perfectly willing to make deals with the Bloc.

Not by giving them cabinet positions!

When you start from 0, anything looks Massive!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

as far as my understanding of this thread goes, we are only talking about Alberta and Saskatchewan because BC are hippies and would really have no interest in this stupidity.

Both those provinces have direct rail links into the Northern BNSF route and that would get them access to the multitude of deep water terminals in Washington.

Not to mention a lot of those products would probably be bound for the US anyway.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig

Oil will be a good source of wealth for at least 20 more years. The fact is that when tough times come I do not expect the rest of Canada to help us. There is no incentive for the east to help us. We have virtually no representation in the federal government compared to Ontario and Quebec. We know that people out east do not give two shits about us. The fact is that when the oil dries up the east will also be hurting and care about us that much less.

All of that is why western Canadians would be better off alone or as part of another nation that allows greater autonomy and representation to its territories.

They have in the past, they will again. Ontario is the only Province which has *never* recieved Equalization. Alberta has, many times.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

Except saskatchewan is historically the pinko-est part of canada. Do you think the place where they founded healthcare would want anything to do with the US?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: K1052

Both those provinces have direct rail links into the Northern BNSF route and that would get them access to the multitude of deep water terminals in Washington.

Not to mention a lot of those products would probably be bound for the US anyway.

the point is that that makes that country very dependant on either the united states or canada, and makes them basically a captive seller

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Well, if you give me Shania Twain, I will consider you my brethren! Although, we would certainly look weird with only half a hat.