Hypothetical: The Secession of Western Canada

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_apocalypse

Aug 27, 2008
Originally posted by: Punter

Oil will be a good source of wealth for at least 20 more years. The fact is that when tough times come I do not expect the rest of Canada to help us. There is no incentive for the east to help us. We have virtually no representation in the federal government compared to Ontario and Quebec. We know that people out east do not give two shits about us. The fact is that when the oil dries up the east will also be hurting and care about us that much less.

All of that is why western Canadians would be better off alone or as part of another nation that allows greater autonomy and representation to its territories.

How can you say western Canada has no representation when the PM is from alberta and the conservative party (current government, though that may change soon) has a strong support base in western Canada.

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
Originally posted by: apocalypse

Oil will be a good source of wealth for at least 20 more years. The fact is that when tough times come I do not expect the rest of Canada to help us. There is no incentive for the east to help us. We have virtually no representation in the federal government compared to Ontario and Quebec. We know that people out east do not give two shits about us. The fact is that when the oil dries up the east will also be hurting and care about us that much less.

All of that is why western Canadians would be better off alone or as part of another nation that allows greater autonomy and representation to its territories.

How can you say western Canada has no representation when the PM is from alberta and the conservative party (current government, though that may change soon) has a strong support base in western Canada.

The party does not have a majority despite practically sweeping the west. Quebec has 75 seats in the House of Commons, Ontario has 106 of 308 total seats; those two provinces alone have enough power between them to elect a majority government.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The party does not have a majority despite practically sweeping the west. Quebec has 75 seats in the House of Commons, Ontario has 106 of 308 total seats; those two provinces alone have enough power between them to elect a majority government.

...and?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Well, if you give me Shania Twain, I will consider you my brethren! Although, we would certainly look weird with only half a hat.

Shania's from the "East" relative to Alberta, so not theirs to give:).

Deliximus

Aug 11, 2001
NO! No Americans, period!

Canada is a BLUE country and very far left compared to the Dems in the US. And i want to keep it this way. Our hicks are probably more blue than anyone in the US.

Alberta and BC should seperate and call ourselves ABC.

Honestly tho, i don't know why we still need quebec.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you can all join but only if the provinces redraw their maps so that they are larger than 163,696 sq mi but smaller than 268,820 sq mi, preferably smaller than 200,000 sq mi. and as long as you agree that celine dion be restricted to nunavut.

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008

harpers from toronto

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
I think it would be a good thing for the people of Western Canada and the United States.

That being said if the option were seriously on the table I doubt our Democrat run government would vote to allow them in the union since it would bring more "conservatives" and thus pose a threat to them in future elections.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: OFFascist
I think it would be a good thing for the people of Western Canada and the United States.

That being said if the option were seriously on the table I doubt our Democrat run government would vote to allow them in the union since it would bring more "conservatives" and thus pose a threat to them in future elections.

And CNN would run stories non stop about crazy canadians in the north, how nobody "really, really, REALLY" knows what the costs will be, and other FUD.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
You would also have to abandon your allegiance and devotion to your Queen.

No, you must embrace her. You know you wanna.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Champ
actually we would be very viable as a seperate country...and us albertians love BC...besides the hippies of course

but theoreitically we are very capible of seperation and would survive quite well....we gots oil uranium wheat cow contential divide so water coal timber fish we would be fine

but no seperation but infact accountability in government caused by declairing the PQ treasonous for seperatist...then senate reform then proper seat-to-population ratio then more power for individual provinces and canada would be fine

Admit it; you're dying to get your hands on our commas.

edit: and keep your hands off our spell-check, hosers.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
So when can their fellow Canadians begin massing troops on their border in anticipation of an unprovoked cross-border attack on innocent ethic canucks?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

Wanted to separate for a long time. Now it is starting to seem a more sensible notion than ever before. I want to separate because it would mean a better future for my family. Not just by the economic prosperity it would bring but also in the sense of pride we could have in ourselves.

While we love our country, continually being subject to the whims of the east has not made us proud Canadians out here. It is demoralizing to be considered second class citizens, to be governed without hope of equal representation and to see our provincial treasuries plundered by the east.

The level of discontent is growing. Maybe it will take another 15 years for a majority of westerners to get to the point I am at.

Having the Bloc become part of a government is a major insult for western Canada. We know that Quebec would be in deep shit without our wealth of resources. To put a party in power over us that has absolutely no respect for us is an absolute disgrace. A party that only cares about one province should not be allowed to have power over all.

I will say it again. I love Canada. We could be such an awesome nation if we would all work together and pull our own weight. Unfortunately that is not the case. Since this will never change, the best option for Western Canada may be to secede.

Yeah, excellent.
You think Ottawa is bad, just wait until Washington gets to do whatever it wants with you. And it will be great to see your children grow up wanting to be presidents. You want national pride, you'll get it in spades, along with everything that comes with it.