Hyponotism is cool

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
I went to a hyponotism show yesterday, and i am still in shock at how powerful hyponosis is. My friends were the subject of the act, they were doing some crazy things that they were not conscious about even after the show. I am wondering if anyone knows how to hypnotize someone or know the logic behind this incredible phenomenon.:cool:

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
it is all BS, don't tell me you buy into that. Get on stage yourself to see what a load of crap it is.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was hypnotized a while back. And I remember just feeling SO relaxed that I dind't care about what I was doing. There was about 15 of us on the stage and a few people actually fell asleep.

BTW they said I did the best Moonwalk anyone has seen :)

Jothaxe

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001

<< it is all BS, don't tell me you buy into that. Get on stage yourself to see what a load of crap it is. >>

TheShiz,

I dunno. I am as skeptical about the occult as anyone you will ever meet. And yet it is impossible to deny that the mind is incredibly powerful, and we understand it very poorly.

I would agree that hypnotism shows can be phony, and maybe most of them are. And yet I still tend to think that hypnotism is real, because I have read research papers by neuroscientists describing the difference in brain activity in a conscious person v. a hypnotized person.

I wont tell you that you should believe in it if you dont want to, but I think there is some very strong and reputable evidence out there that there is something to the phenomena known as hypnotism.

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
hell yea it works!!! my friends were on stage and it works....it only work when you open up.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
God it's incredible. Humanity is nothing more or less than a mass of hypnotized zombies capable, it seems, of arguing the reality of hypnotism.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the hypnotist if I remeber correctly did some excersises first with the audience. It was a lot of relaxation stuff like close your eyes and picture a bright bulb getting dimmer and dimmer as I count backwards from ten the bulb will get dimmer and all of the muscles in your body will relax. Meanwhile there was this strange music going on in the background, this whole process took about fifteen minutes he did a lot of other crap I can't relly remeber becuase by that time I was dozing off.

I think what happened during this process is the hypnotist was able to find suseptible people in the audience (I for example fell asleep against the shoulder of the person next to me). And I guess when your in this state your open to sugesstions cuase you just don't care.

I liken it to how you feel when someone wakes you up from a deep sleep. And you don't care what the hell is going on as long as you can go back to sleep, like you'll do anything to go back to sleep, but more extreme. And you know after that whole experiance I felt refreshed and I slept well for the next couple of days (I uauslly have horrible sleep patterns).

Mephistopheles

May 16, 2001
From what I've heard, hypnotism is just a survival mechanism used by animals that travel in packs. The leader uses it to control the pack. I think its a vestigial mechanism in humans.

Jothaxe

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001

<< From what I've heard, hypnotism is just a survival mechanism used by animals that travel in packs. The leader uses it to control the pack. I think its a vestigial mechanism in humans. >>

Fascinating! Do you know anywhere online that talks about this?

Mephistopheles

May 16, 2001
I read it in a book, so I don't know any links. But I remember reading that the effects are always bad for the hypnotee. And that there is something much more profound about the mind. Now where did I put it? D'oh, I've lost the secrets of the universe again! ;)

ace31216

Golden Member
May 22, 2001
It's all fake... if hyponotism was real...imagine the possibilites of manipulation. One would be able to ask people to willing give their money away or have consenting sex or screw people over for revenge. I can't believe someone would have such power and even if they did, do you think they would be able to control it responsibly?

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i've seen it happen before..it does work. about half the people actually fell asleep on stage and others were doing INSANE stuff that no one would do in public. and when they were awakened, they barely remembered anything.

of course you have to have an open mind for it to work, but it DOES work.

obiwaynekenobi

Golden Member
May 18, 2001
hypnotism is real,

My Aunt is a hypno-therpist.

As apposed to all of this 'spend an hour on the couch and tell me your problems' when you maybe not ever really know what it is.

Hypno-therpy is used to talk directly and make suggestions directly to the sub-conscience mind. so it is a very dangerous tool in the hands of the wrong person. But your sub-conscience records everything, it's just a matter of recall to actully do what we call &quot;Remebering&quot; it's like Actors and people who do plays have a better &quot;recall&quot; than those who don't. Mostly because it's been exisersized so much. But because you are speaking to your sub-conscince mind, it can tell you things that you'd never remebere. consciencly. When hypnotized, in order to GET to a persons subconscience the consicence porition of the mind has to be shutdown.

the only time in a 24 hours period that you conscience mind is shutdown is when you are sleeping, Your subconsicence takes over allowing your active portion of your brain to take a break. Which is why that people don't remeber it very well, as well as they feel rested. They are infact in a state of sleep. People who FALL asleep, are in usualy in need of sleep so it just rolls over that direction naturally. People who 'remeber things' vaguely are remebering things in the form off a dream. which is why it's Vauge recollection. the Power of Suggestion is a powerful thing. Infact if I remeber correctly hypnosis was banned in England. (I think?) because a hypnotist did a whole audience. and had them strip down and run out in the streets in the nude while screaming &quot;I am a mushroom&quot;

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000

I saw a show on cable yesterday (check if you have TLC, the learning channel) named 'the street hypnotist'. It's about an english hypnotist that find people in streets, supermarkets, restaurants, etc. and hypnotize them. Very funny!

Thanatopsis

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
People who get hypnotized are willing to be hypnotized. You can't hypnotize an unwilling person.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
No not really. Anyone can keep from being hypnotized if they don't want to be.

<< people who get hypnotized have weak minds. >>

desertdweller

Jan 6, 2001

<< people who get hypnotized have weak minds. >>

Actually, there are very few people that cannot be hypnotised, some
are more difficult than others but the technique is what matters.

Hypnosis has nothing to do with the &quot;occult&quot;.
It is very real.
It is not &quot;always bad&quot; to the hypnotised person.
It does not work like in the movies.
According to popular psychologists you cannot be made to do anything
that you don't want to under hypnosis.
It is a way of communicating directly with your subconscience.

DD

AznMaverick

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2001
Hypnotism IS real and DOES work, however, it doesn't work for everyone. If you believe that it won't work for you...it won't. And contrary to what others think...it's not some d00d holding a pendant on a necklace waving it back and forth....that's the BS.

kag

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
www.boloxe.com
I've tried to get hypnotized twice at the show.. but it didn't work...

The funniest thing was when a girl friend (not girlfriend, hehe) of mine was seating next to me, and she used to get hypnotized the years before, but she didn't went on the stage that time... but she got hypnotized from her seat!! I was watching the show when I realized that she was standing and immitating someone who had won a million... she hugged me, gave me kisses and stuff hahaahahha, had a good laugh

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
I don't think the research has been very favorable on hypnotism. It seems to have lost credibility along with psychoanalysis. My impression is that it works on a limited basis with people who are the 'suggestible' type. I think the idea of recovering memories under hypnotism is extremely suspect, given the large discrepancies and distortions of such memories. Basically, none of Freud's theories are testable because he set them up that way. His Catch-22 was that you couldn't criticize his theories unless you were trained as a psychoanalyst, but of course if you were a psychoanalyst you naturally wouldn't criticize his theories. Very dodgy guy.