HyperThreading holding back performance in lighter threaded games.

UglyDuckling

May 6, 2015
So i noticed my frames drop a lot in games like CSGO or GTA V and since turning off HTT i have a big improvement in smoothness and frame drops are not there.

Thsi is CS running on my system, this is with HTT, it's not the best because the video was never made for showing off FPS but in the top right there is an FPS counter, watch how sporadic it is with HTT enabled, now imagine it being much more stable.. that's how it is without HTT.. far more stable.

Anybody else seen improvements turning it off?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think it's well known that HT does not do much for a lot of games. Thus the fairly common recommendation over the years for an i5 processor for gaming over an i7.
However, HT probably does help in more and more newer games that need more cores/threads.
Even with Coffee lake, the recommendation is probably still going to be for the 6C/6T i5 over the 6C/12T i7 for gaming value.

Reactions: UglyDuckling

Donts00tmesanta

Feb 11, 2008
I think it's well known that HT does not do much for a lot of games. Thus the fairly common recommendation over the years for an i5 processor for gaming over an i7.
However, HT probably does help in more and more newer games that need more cores/threads.
Even with Coffee lake, the recommendation is probably still going to be for the 6C/6T i5 over the 6C/12T i7 for gaming value.
I just told a buddy to get a coffeelake i5 over a skylake i7 due to 6 cores is better than 4 cores and 8 threads.