Question HWUB revisits the RX 5700 XT in 2022 (versus the 2060 Super and RTX 3060) in newer games.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The reference are usually cheaper and good for water blocks. As far as stock coolers though, Sapphire Nitro+ and Powercolor Red Devil are the best models.

I watched a bit of the video, it looks like the 5700XT does very well, even compared to the 3060. My question is, what 5700XT did he use for testing? He shows a Red Devil in the test system, but also shows pictures/clips of a reference cooler card, an MSI card, XFX, and Sapphire Nitro+.

I would also liked to see comparisons of the 2070S and 1080Ti.

Reactions: Leeea

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Not sure why they often used the Med. preset though.
Playable settings, that's why. It is as though he is finally listening to those of us that have been criticizing unrealistic settings for years now. I don't care about settings that can't do 60fps. Many other gamers that don't buy the flagship level are the same way. Much more interested in what it takes to get 60 at a particular res. His cyberpunk numbers are perfect for that. 5700xt it entering high refresh at 1080p and locked 60 at 1440.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am on the asus reference 5700xt. I am fine with it driving a 1440p monitor. But then I am not frame rate obsessed and have zero interest in raytracing.

Reactions: Kaluan

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If I were nit picking I'd love to see the return of the overclocking fps on bar charts. Cyberpunk is a good example of where a manual overclock would likely get both Nvidia cards over the locked 60fps hump.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
I would still prefer to have the option of enabling raytracing and enabling it on a game by game basis, rather than being fully locked out no matter what. But I cannot deny that I think the 5700xt currently was the better buy.

I still think raytracing isn't worth it at this point, the best feature in the RTX lineup has become DLSS IMO. I do however think that the 2000 series being fully DX12U compliant will give it a few years extra life compared to the 5000 series.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I do however think that the 2000 series being fully DX12U compliant will give it a few years extra life compared to the 5000 series.
That is an interesting point but -

doubt-press-x.gif

I don't see games refusing to launch over it. Missing out on some game feature is almost always meh. I mean things like PhysX trash floating around in Batman games is cool and all, but I don't pine for it when playing on AMD.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
That is an interesting point but -

View attachment 65475

I don't see games refusing to launch over it. Missing out on some game feature is almost always meh. I mean things like PhysX trash floating around in Batman games is cool and all, but I don't pine for it when playing on AMD.
We may see more games like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition (i.e. require ray tracing support) because consoles support ray tracing and they design everything around that. There are many things where using ray tracing just makes sense and also makes life easier for developers.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
We may see more games like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition (i.e. require ray tracing support) because consoles support ray tracing and they design everything around that. There are many things where using ray tracing just makes sense and also makes life easier for developers.
That's fair, but they aren't going to severely limit their install base by only releasing an RT version. Going to be a long time before most gamers have a card that can RT well enough for that to make sense.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Hotrod2go

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
If I were nit picking I'd love to see the return of the overclocking fps on bar charts. Cyberpunk is a good example of where a manual overclock would likely get both Nvidia cards over the locked 60fps hump.

Are you still mourning the loss of HardOCP? I did like their style but I also like knowing how the cards handle maxing out settings, which is what we have now.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
The 5700xt was the obvious winner almost three years ago when I bought it as well. Ray tracing and DLSS are just not relevant IMO - especially ray tracing.

Obvious enough that Nvidia was offering free games and mail in rebates on many cards. Made them nominally a better price/perf for me. Most 2060S were $20-$40 cheaper out the door on BlackFriday/CyberMonday 2019. I do regret not getting a $275-300 5700 at the same time especially when they released the 5600XT for the same price range 2 months later.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah, good point on the 5700. The 5700 had almost the same performance as the XT version, and especially if the 5700 had a good cooler, they could easily be the best deal and be OCed to match a 5700XT. In general the clocks and cooling mattered more than the few extra cores on the 5700XT.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Ranulf

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I think the point was you would have a large install base just with the consoles. I'm sure nVidia wouldn't mind if RT became required.
All those GTX owners at the top of the Steam list would. ;) It could happen, but it will take a good number of years yet IMO. Even then it will likely only be certain big money AAA stuff where they have such a high minimum system requirement.

Indy games are already picking up momentum. If big studios want to see them eat further into market share, forcing gamers to buy a new card just to play their games, is a good way to do it. Because the way I see it, FSR is coming along fast, and that is already extending the useful lives of older cards. Telling gamers that the only reason their card won't play the game, is that it doesn't RT is not going to go down well. I suspect those gamers will vote with their wallets, and those studios will suffer for it.

BTW, I almost feel like you drew me out here, so you could hit me with the - Now I am asking MY magic 8 ball. If you did, you are right! I did ask it a question.

8d1.jpg

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
All those GTX owners at the top of the Steam list would. ;) It could happen, but it will take a good number of years yet IMO. Even then it will likely only be certain big money AAA stuff where they have such a high minimum system requirement.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. P2W games of course will stick to the previous gen consoles for some time.

forcing gamers to buy a new card just to play their games, is a good way to do it.

That's how it was back in the day in order to be able to push graphical progress.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That's how it was back in the day in order to be able to push graphical progress.
I had to upgrade CPU and GPU a few times just because a game wouldn't play on my current hardware.
Things change. BITD as you guys well know, the saying was that by the time you got your new stuff home, there was already something faster on the shelf. We saw how quickly things progressed, that was because it was all still in its infancy. At that point just keeping up with PC gaming meant you were basically on the bleeding edge.

Many gamers settled for a 1050ti, 1060, or 1650 during the recent pandemic. They are the top of the list for Steam. They are still manufacturing and selling the 1050ti and 1650. For myself, that makes the idea of studios leaving the owners out in the cold highly unlikely. It would be bad business. With everyone I have read saying they were prepared to jump ship to consoles due to the last couple of years of madness, I would not give them another shove.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Things change. BITD as you guys well know, the saying was that by the time you got your new stuff home, there was already something faster on the shelf. We saw how quickly things progressed, that was because it was all still in its infancy. At that point just keeping up with PC gaming meant you were basically on the bleeding edge.

Many gamers settled for a 1050ti, 1060, or 1650 during the recent pandemic. They are the top of the list for Steam. They are still manufacturing and selling the 1050ti and 1650. For myself, that makes the idea of studios leaving the owners out in the cold highly unlikely. It would be bad business. With everyone I have read saying they were prepared to jump ship to consoles due to the last couple of years of madness, I would not give them another shove.

That kind of hasn't changed. It might no longer be on the shelf...but it's in the pipeline being developed. I just ordered an RTX 3070. The RTX 4000 series is rumored to be released starting in October. (we'll see)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That kind of hasn't changed. It might no longer be on the shelf...but it's in the pipeline being developed. I just ordered an RTX 3070. The RTX 4000 series is rumored to be released starting in October. (we'll see)
That's because it's a 2yr old GPU already. Cards don't age out anywhere near as fast as they did in the late 90s to 2000s either.