Discussion [HWUB] Nvidia has a driver overhead problem. . .

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
HWUB did an investigation into GPU performance with lower end CPUs for gaming and published their results. In the comments they mention they tested more games than they showed in the video, all with the same results. As we all (should) know, in DX11 AMD had the low end CPU performance issue, but it looks like this has flipped for DX12/Vulkan. HWUB mentions they think their findings hold true for DX11 as well, but as far as I can tell, they only tested DX12/Vulkan titles so I don't think they have the data to backup that statement and doubt it is true.

(342) Nvidia Has a Driver Overhead Problem, GeForce vs Radeon on Low-End CPUs - YouTube

1615478285887.png

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
If you put everything maxed on without understanding the visual vs perf impact of each individual setting, you will likely get a sub-par experience.
It is clear that the game has gone through the hands of a number of developers, performance and graphics quality can greatly vary from one place to another.

With DLSS enabled it runs well even with every individual setting set to the max, however. That’s the reason I bought 3090 for, to avoid tinkering with zillions of graphical settings. I thought 2080 Ti was ready for 4K, now I see, that even 3090 is pretty average for 4K high refresh, max RT quality gaming. And that ~500w of heat warming up my room during longer sessions...

I did test my older 4790K rig and it was fine in my games at 4K with 3090. Shadow of Tomb Raider was the only game lagging a bit in town areas, but still playable (>30 fps). Wish I had a Radeon 6000 series GPU to test it against, but I can’t get 1 for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Let's get this back on the front page.

I like to live vicariously through this guy's overclocking adventures. He seems to be seeing the overhead issue even with beastly hardware. I will leave this here for your edification -

tldw? Get treated for adult ADHD :p

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
That seems like a really odd result. I didn't watch the entire video, (other disclaimer, I had the audio off and there's no captions yet so I didn't hear anything that the person running the tests was saying) but in both cases neither GPU is really maxing out a single threat that would suggest a bottleneck. The overlay doesn't show GPU utilization for the Radeon like it dose for the 3090. I'd be more inclined to think it's a matter of the game running better on the Radeon. Given that WoW is an older game, it seems like one that might work well with Infinity Cache or at least see more of a boost than average titles would.

Reactions: Leeea