[HW Unboxed] Battlefield V DXR tests

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Insert RTX ON/OFF meme, with RTX OFF part showing Sonic the Hedgehog and RTX ON part showing a snail.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Reactions: Headfoot

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
The real question here is how fast would a non RTX card run the game with ray tracing on.
I am tipping that other games are even worse than this.
My guess is that dice just toggled the rtx switch while future games will plan out their games for the rtx capabilities of the available cards and only insert as much as the cards can handle.
It will be interesting to see if anyone tries to argue ray tracing is useful for anyone this GPU generation.
While it might be is too expensive for normal gamers any game designer (or graphics designers in general) with even the slightest interest in ray tracing will want to have one even if it's just to play around with it.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Would be interesting to see SLI tests, does this even scale with SLI? I'm a huge GPU enthusiast and I'm gonna wait at least one and probably two more generations before getting in on DXR. I've come to enjoy my 144hz or triple-head 5760x1080 too much to go back

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
Pages and pages of irrational support of this mystery card feature-set only to find out the obvious some time after launch :
It's a flaming overpriced turd that anyone doing critical analysis should have known pre-launch when Nvidia was being shaddy about details.
This is why I no longer argue with a person who demonstrates they're irrational. You waste your time only to be proven correct time and time again.

Reactions: Rifter

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
Yeeesh. Unless nVidia pulls a rabbit out of their hat, driver improvements won't make up the difference.

This launch is outright farcical. $1200 to play at sub-1080p under 60fps.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
The sad thing is this would be a perfect candidate for SLI but DXR is tied to DX12 which has no multigpu support from Dice.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Truth of the matter is that RTX isn't worth the cost in price or performance. Lighting is a small part of the overall graphics picture and paying so much to improve it is not efficient. Of course the people buying 2080Tis just want to best, not necessarily the best value and I'm happy for it since that funds the next gen cards that I plan to buy.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
I've been trying to make sense of this Battlefield V DXR reflection in the trolley window. The reflection is showing the left side of the Firma building. The bus would have to be a couple hundred feet to the left to make this reflection possible. In it's current position there should be no reflection of the building at all. Maybe I'm just looking at it all wrong.

HrlFeMD.jpg

pj-

May 5, 2015
I've been trying to make sense of this Battlefield V DXR reflection in the trolley window. The reflection is showing the left side of the Firma building. The bus would have to be a couple hundred feet to the left to make this reflection possible. In it's current position there should be no reflection of the building at all. Maybe I'm just looking at it all wrong.

HrlFeMD.jpg

Maybe there's another building with that sign on the roof off to the right?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I knew by how nvidia handled the launch that this generation was going to be a joke, but even i didnt expect DXR to be this much of a joke.

At this rate its going to be 3-4 generations before 60FPS 1080P capeable hardware makes it into the $200 GPU price point, so wake me up in a decade when DXR will be mainstream enough for people to actually purchase hardware for it, and therefor worth it for devs to program for.