HVAC's: AC Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
I have been battling a fairly new (less than two year old home) AC for our home. The system is a carrier system, which from what I am told was a bit large for the 2k sqft home we have (builder told us this as we bought the model - full of upgrades on the CHEAP!).

Needless to say here is a run down of the issues (mind you I am still under my 2 year warranty for my AC unit):

* April 1st - Compressor and drier filter in the outside unit replaced and system recharged
* June 23rd - More noises from the compressor. Techician came out and found that the previous technician may have installed the wrong compressor, put in 10.25lbs of coolant (system only requires 7.25lbs) and the system was running at near 600PSI, dangerous for a system like this to be running this high. He discharges the system to the right levels, recommends that a new TXV and drier filter be installed
* July 13th - TXV and drier filter replaced
* July 14th - AC not cooling, TXV leaking coolant. TXV at 10:00pm as we got home to find our system running full blast and it was 85 in the house, with it set to 76. Called the AC company and told them to get out here ASAP. They were nice enough to send someone out tonight - different technician

First question is, does a system take an hour to go from 80 degrees to 79 degrees at 11:00pm at night after I was told the system is good to go? Used to we would have it set to 77/78 and turn it down to 75 when we got home, which cooled down within 20-30 minutes.

Is leaking coolant into the vents good for those indoors like we were all night lastnight with it leaking?

What do I do here? I have contacted my builder on each issue (they open tickets) and am starting to get fed up here. I have had to take 3 days off in the last few months to get this fixed, and each time the issues get bigger and bigger? When do I call the system and dud and make them replace EVERYTHING (attic unit, compressor/coil setup, etc)?

What legal action (if any) can I or should I take? I have a feeling that my electric bill is about to shoot sky high for this past month, with a system working half assed and it being quite warm the last few weeks here in the DFW area.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Call Carrier would be my advice. I had our Furnace and A/C replaced about 4 years ago by a local company highly recommended by a friend. This friend researches everything to the max and I trust him explicitly. What he didn't know was that the company had recently changed owners...

I had questions after the install that the company was unable to answer. That and the blower was speeding up and slowing down of it's own free will. They had already been out once attempting to repair it and it was obvious to me they were just throwing parts at it in hopes of fixing it.

I called Carrier. I got a call back from the owner of the company within about 2 hours and he one hot mofo. He borderline yelled at me about how much hot water my call got him into. In retrospect, my guess is that mine was not the only call.

Your warranty is good with any Carrier dealer. Another option is to get someone else out there. I've since found another company that I'm very impressed with.

Last edited:

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
dfw? who are these chucklefucks so they can be avoided.

I called Carrier. I got a call back from the owner of the company within about 2 hours and he one hot mofo. He borderline yelled at me about how much hot water my call got him into. In retrospect, my guess is that mine was not the only call.

haha that's badass, i guess that depends on if OP used a carrier dealer/installer or just some random a/c business.

Nov 20, 2009
Sounds like a tract home with el'cheapo contractors putting in stuff on the lowest bid.

BTW, I went through four HVAC companies before one admitted, before I stated, that the unit I have for the second floor was undersized. The four failing HVAC companies all wanted to replace the unit with exact size for $4K. Only with the fifth HVAC company was a heating and cooling load analysis done on both up/down-stairs zone units and that is when it was determined the HVAC guy for the tract builder installed the two units backwards.

Replacing the undersized unit with an appropriately size unit now keeps the 2nd floor at 70ºF when it is 95-96ºF outside. And it does it without running constantly.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
What size is the system? You said over sized but how much so?

But even then if it was perfect size, let alone over sized, it should cool much quicker. Also was the duct work replaced? I had a AC system put in a old apartment and it took all day to get the temp back down. The system was replaced but the duct work was not. Some leaks, little insualtion, etc... and the system was working over time because of it. I doubt that is your major problem.

Get the part number off the compressor and print the manual out. Have that ready for the next tech so they do not overcharge it or do anything incorrect.

Me and my dad installed the AC/Heat system in my house so I know the specs and can fix it at anytime. I hate haveing to relay on others.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I have responded in red.

I have been battling a fairly new (less than two year old home) AC for our home. The system is a carrier system, which from what I am told was a bit large for the 2k sqft home we have (builder told us this as we bought the model - full of upgrades on the CHEAP!).

Needless to say here is a run down of the issues (mind you I am still under my 2 year warranty for my AC unit):

* April 1st - Compressor and drier filter in the outside unit replaced and system recharged how many times did you use the unit after the repair? Was the compressor failure mode disclosed (i.e. mechanical failure or motor burnout?)
* June 23rd - More noises from the compressor. Techician came out and found that the previous technician may have installed the wrong compressor, put in 10.25lbs of coolant (system only requires 7.25lbs) and the system was running at near 600PSI, dangerous for a system like this to be running this high. He discharges the system to the right levels, recommends that a new TXV and drier filter be installed Was 600 psig head pressure measured? What kind of expansion valve is it specifically? Was the refrigerant recovered and weighed to verify charge or did the tech go by superheat only? If it were believed the incorrect model compressor was installed previously was it confirmed? If so why was it left as is?
* July 13th - TXV and drier filter replaced Was the filter drier determined to be restrictive by the "pressure/temperature" differential method?
* July 14th - AC not cooling, TXV leaking coolant. TXV at 10:00pm as we got home to find our system running full blast and it was 85 in the house, with it set to 76. Called the AC company and told them to get out here ASAP. They were nice enough to send someone out tonight - different technician How did you determine the valve was leaking? Is it damaged at the distribution tube side? Can you post pictures?

First question is, does a system take an hour to go from 80 degrees to 79 degrees at 11:00pm at night after I was told the system is good to go? Used to we would have it set to 77/78 and turn it down to 75 when we got home, which cooled down within 20-30 minutes. Sounds like it's not working as it should. Not even close.

Is leaking coolant into the vents good for those indoors like we were all night lastnight with it leaking? If it's indeed leaking at the expansion valve that would be indoors. Never smoke in the presence of these materials!

What do I do here? I have contacted my builder on each issue (they open tickets) and am starting to get fed up here. I have had to take 3 days off in the last few months to get this fixed, and each time the issues get bigger and bigger? When do I call the system and dud and make them replace EVERYTHING (attic unit, compressor/coil setup, etc)? Find another company to get it fixed properly!

What legal action (if any) can I or should I take? I have a feeling that my electric bill is about to shoot sky high for this past month, with a system working half assed and it being quite warm the last few weeks here in the DFW area. Once it's fixed properly and you are satisfied you will probably need to take the other company to small claims court. Document everything!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
There are various philosophies about going undersized or oversized. I have an undersized unit for my house which is supposed to save me electricity. It does, but on a very hot day, the temperature creeps up and the unit is not strong enough to keep the house cool. This only happens 5 or 6 days out of the year, but is is woth saving $100? Different contractors have different approaches. I work with Carrier, York, Trane and many other A/C contractors daily. Call a different contractor if you are having trouble with one is the best advice. Document everything and keep your records.

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
dfw? who are these chucklefucks so they can be avoided.

haha that's badass, i guess that depends on if OP used a carrier dealer/installer or just some random a/c business.

Frymire Services.

It is my understanding that my Carrier system can be serviced under warranty by any authorized Carrier dealer/servicer. Is this correct?

Also, this morning, it did eventually cool down to 76 (where we set it) but I am sure the system was running all night long without stopping. There is barely ANY air blowing out of the vents. What does this mean?

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
I have responded in red.

Thanks for your response. I will answer this as best I can:

1. Since April, the unit has been used each and every day. This is Texas, we love our AC!

2. I can't answer all of this for you because I just don't know. The technician that came out in June called and verified that the compressor was the correct one, even though he thought it looked VERY small for the system. 600PSIG was the head pressure, yes. I don't know if the coolant was weighed and verified, but as I explained, he looked at the previous work order receipt I had and the previous technician had put in 10.25 lbs on top of what was already in there (system only required 7.25lbs MAX). He removed the proper amount, which cooled the house off quick, but he was still unhappy with the results. He suggested a drier filter and TXV be replaced, which he placed the order for.

3. I didn't determine that the TXV was leaking. The technician from lastnight did and I asked for him to show me. Sure enough, he was correct. Lost of moisture and he showed me his tester.

4. So it IS dangerous for the gasses to be leaking in the home? How dangerous?

5. I plan to contact another Carrier dealer and transfer my warranty to them.

I also believe I have a 5ton system.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Thanks for your response. I will answer this as best I can:

1. Since April, the unit has been used each and every day. This is Texas, we love our AC! Yep! Sounds like a lot. ;)

2. I can't answer all of this for you because I just don't know. The technician that came out in June called and verified that the compressor was the correct one, even though he thought it looked VERY small for the system. 600PSIG was the head pressure, yes. I don't know if the coolant was weighed and verified, but as I explained, he looked at the previous work order receipt I had and the previous technician had put in 10.25 lbs on top of what was already in there (system only required 7.25lbs MAX). He removed the proper amount, which cooled the house off quick, but he was still unhappy with the results. He suggested a drier filter and TXV be replaced, which he placed the order for. The only way to determine the exact amount is to evacuate and weigh in the proper charge. However removing excess and getting pressures back to nominal figures will promptly return the unit to operating peak if damage has not been done due to excessive refrigerant!

3. I didn't determine that the TXV was leaking. The technician from lastnight did and I asked for him to show me. Sure enough, he was correct. Lost of moisture and he showed me his tester. Halide pump? It's like a geiger counter that ticks and the ticking rapidly gets faster as halogenated compounds are drawn into its sampling "sniffer" tube.

4. So it IS dangerous for the gasses to be leaking in the home? How dangerous? Check out the MSDS here:

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/marketing/811-20066.pdf

The amount leaking vs. enclosed space, etc. would be a really low ratio so it's not going to harm you.

5. I plan to contact another Carrier dealer and transfer my warranty to them. Probably a good idea.

I also believe I have a 5ton system. You had mentioned barely any air coming from the registers previously. Does the indoor fan have a variable speed controller? These usually run at lower speeds upon first starting and at the end of a cycle. If the amount of air seems low, shut down the unit and pull the cover where the coil is. It may be iced up!

xox

Status
Not open for further replies.