Hunting down a D0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PUN
I just hate these non-reputable etailers charging huge premiums for different steppings. It is unethical to sell at different prices.

Non-reputable? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Tankguys is one of the most reputable SPECIALTY stepping dealers there is.

Do you have any idea how much work goes into getting a specific stepping WAY before anyone else does?

Yep - he's a scam artist - a scam artist that has sold HUNDREDS of D0 specific chips - to people who are obviously simply stupid followers.

Not to mention the THOUSANDS of stepping specific other CPUs he has sold (Most to repeat customers, they must be REALLY stupid) over the years, providing kick-ass support on forums and via email, at very little profit, once all costs are factored in.

You have no clue how the industry works, and I hope that no reasonable person thinks you are any more than a mouth breathing, cheap moron.

You probably don't tip the girl who does your manicures either.

EDIT - Spelling/format

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TankGuys
... charging huge premiums for different steppings. It is unethical to sell at different prices.

And you base this statement on the fact that you have a comprehensive knowledge of the wholesale costs, CC processing fees, shipping, labor, insurance, market competition, etc - so you know what the "correct" price should be, thus allowing you to make an informed and intelligent cometary on end user pricing, right? I mean, I'd *hate* to think that someone would make such a statement without having any actual knowledge at all. Surely that's not the case.

:thumbsup:

Some people haven't a clue how their employer actually makes the money they then use to pay them a paycheck. My personal theory is that its these same people who are absolutely convinced they'd be best CEO's and World Leaders too, they got life ALL figured out and the rest of us are just too dumb to recognize their outstanding brilliance.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: TotalLamer
Originally posted by: AnotherGuy
How come my friend said i7 sux compared to Phenom 3... since he tried it and only was able to hit 3.6 on 920 ( way too hot pocessor) while the new Phenom 3 cpus he said we was able to oc em stable at 4.8ghz on water cooling.... I was totally astonished ... he could not be lying... coz he builds gaming pcs all the time...

Uhh... wut? There's no such thing as a Phenom 3. I assume he means Phenom 2, and no, an i7 puts the beatdown on a Phenom 2.

Well I will say it . Your friend is out and out liar. Have him post that 4.8 on water bench with prime and temps. The New DO is hitting 4.7 4.8 on air . Check XS. Hardly stable but I guess water is stable without turbo and HT. I don't have a DO . So really can't say . I suppose to be getting a clarksdale setup any day now can't wait . Should be fun . He said she unlocked so well see.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Idontcare
... charging huge premiums for different steppings. It is unethical to sell at different prices.

And you base this statement on the fact that you have a comprehensive knowledge of the wholesale costs, CC processing fees, shipping, labor, insurance, market competition, etc - so you know what the "correct" price should be, thus allowing you to make an informed and intelligent cometary on end user pricing, right? I mean, I'd *hate* to think that someone would make such a statement without having any actual knowledge at all. Surely that's not the case.

:thumbsup:

Some people haven't a clue how their employer actually makes the money they then use to pay them a paycheck. My personal theory is that its these same people who are absolutely convinced they'd be best CEO's and World Leaders too, they got life ALL figured out and the rest of us are just too dumb to recognize their outstanding brilliance.

I presume that a company prices the products they sell on the basis of how much it costs to buy the product from the distributor / manufacturer at trade price plus the cost to the company for labour, storage, insurance, admin, shipping, etc, etc, plus a % on top for profit. The % on top for profit is adjusted by how much the competitors are charging and how much extra the company thinks a consumer is willing to pay if that company offers a 'unique / better service' to the everyone else (e.g. 'better' customer service). Bingo, they have the overall price that the consumer pays for that product.

Is this BS or am I right or nearly right? If not, then how does it work, because I'm interested to know, since the price differences that I've seen between companies for computer components seems to be quite a lot.

btw the above is a guess on how it works, so I could be completely wrong. :D

TankGuys

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Originally posted by: daw123

I presume that a company prices the products they sell on the basis of how much it costs to buy the product from the distributor / manufacturer at trade price plus the cost to the company for labour, storage, insurance, admin, shipping, etc, etc, plus a % on top for profit. The % on top for profit is adjusted by how much the competitors are charging and how much extra the company thinks a consumer is willing to pay if that company offers a 'unique / better service' to the everyone else (e.g. 'better' customer service). Bingo, they have the overall price that the consumer pays for that product.

Is this BS or am I right or nearly right? If not, then how does it work, because I'm interested to know, since the price differences that I've seen between companies for computer components seems to be quite a lot.

You are absolutely correct. There are some things that also factor in, but in a nutshell, that's right.

The reason you see such disparity between places is that not only go some stores get lower wholesale costs on certain items (due to volume and/or kickbacks from the manufacturer). You also see some stores blow things out at insanely low prices, as loss leaders. This is exactly what Microcenter is doing. The fact that other stores, i.e. mine, is charging more than $200 doesn't mean we're making insane profits or gouging people ;)

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008

You are absolutely correct. There are some things that also factor in, but in a nutshell, that's right.

The reason you see such disparity between places is that not only go some stores get lower wholesale costs on certain items (due to volume and/or kickbacks from the manufacturer). You also see some stores blow things out at insanely low prices, as loss leaders. This is exactly what Microcenter is doing. The fact that other stores, i.e. mine, is charging more than $200 doesn't mean we're making insane profits or gouging people ;)

Thanks for the reply.

So you need to start screwing your suppliers and cutting overheads to bring that price down, whilst maintaining your profit (I'm joking :D - it's what my boss would say).

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
So you need to start screwing your suppliers and cutting overheads to bring that price down, whilst maintaining your profit (I'm joking :D - it's what my boss would say).

Work for walmart do ya? ;) (j/k)

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008

Work for walmart do ya? ;) (j/k)

I think thats the mentality of most companies nowadays. It's just got worse since the recession hit and nearly all companies are tightening their belts.

I would say all companies, but there is bound to be someone on here who says, company XYZ doesn't have to do that since they are pretty much the sole provider of a widget for a multi-billion pound market and that market is limited where else they can buy said widget from (oh shit that's pretty much Microsoft ;))

Edit: I did work for Asda though whilst I was at Uni. I'm now a Building Surveyor; Jack of all trades, master of none.

Infrnl

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2007
Originally posted by: TotalLamer
I fail to see the obsession with D0's... people were hitting 4GHz on i7's far before D0's came out.

You can hit 4ghz on the co's but it usually takes at least 1.4v's

The D0's can hit 4ghz with as low as 1.15v approx. can hit 4.2 or possibly higher with 1.2v's, many are getting to 4.5ghz with 1.4v or less on the Xeons.

YMMV on anything, but the D0's are getting much better results. Xeons are Higher Binned chips and are likely to get better results; just as in memory; its all the same so to speak , but higher binned products usually yield in better overall results.

a little better performance may not mean squat to a lot of people, but every little bit counts to a lot as well. a little performance here and there adds up in the end.

Its not going to matter soon anyways; cause everyone should be selling all D0's soon.

I have also heard NE is selling all D0's now as well as most MC's, along with the others listed above.

Xeons are ranging from approx 300-320 in most places,and there is a reputable guy opn ebay selling them for $300 -8%=$276 shipped for the Xeons; which is the same price as NE and cheaper than others; also Guaranteed D0's.

Its all about what you want and what you want to spend. som people think $20-30 is nothing and its well worth the price; others want things as cheap as possible.

For the guys that want to complain and whine, either wait till Nehalem or whatever else fits your budget, wait till there is only D0's, buy now, or wait for the E0 stepping (if they have one) or just keep your bashing to yourself.

This thread is for the guys wanting a D0; if they want it, let it be. Many of us know that with each new rev, results are always better in some way to an extent.

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
Do all the X58 motherboards support Xeons if they support D0? Also it is difficult to hit 4.5 with any motherboard that doesn't say Classified on it.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Infrnl
wait till there is only D0's, buy now, or wait for the E0 stepping (if they have one) or just keep your bashing to yourself.

E0 stepping does not exist.

Jabbernyx

Feb 2, 2009
wait till there is only D0's, buy now, or wait for the E0 stepping (if they have one) or just keep your bashing to yourself.
He did say "if" IDC :p

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Jabbernyx
He did say "if" IDC :p

Just meant to answer the "if" question, didn't mean to talk down to anyone if that is how my brief post came across. Apologies Infrnl
rose.gif

Infrnl

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2007
No problem; I was just stating IF they decide to make an E0 stepping as they did with the Q9550, etc. I also want to appologize if my previous post seemed directed at the guy I quoted. I started to answer his question and just kept rambling on.

Also to above that asked about support on mobos. as far as I know, I am pretty sure that the D0's are supported on all X58 mobos, but may require a bios update. However I do not know if all mobos will support the Xeon cpus properly, but should with the latest bios as well.

I believe that the Classified boards only offer an extended OC if you use LN2, DICE and possibly Phase; otherwise any of the good ocing mobos do just as well from what I have found. I have seen great results on Gigabyte, Asus, DFI, Biostar, & Foxconn mobos.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Since TankGuys removes all the D0s from the normal supply, does it mean they give discounts on the regular I7s? Who would want to buy an I7 with a 0% chance of getting a D0 from tank guys when they have a 50% shot at newegg?

Jabbernyx

Feb 2, 2009
I believe that the Classified boards only offer an extended OC if you use LN2, DICE and possibly Phase; otherwise any of the good ocing mobos do just as well from what I have found. I have seen great results on Gigabyte, Asus, DFI, Biostar, & Foxconn mobos.
I was tempted by the Foxconn BloodRage but read that it can be flaky.

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
No problem; I was just stating IF they decide to make an E0 stepping as they did with the Q9550, etc. I also want to appologize if my previous post seemed directed at the guy I quoted. I started to answer his question and just kept rambling on.

Also to above that asked about support on mobos. as far as I know, I am pretty sure that the D0's are supported on all X58 mobos, but may require a bios update. However I do not know if all mobos will support the Xeon cpus properly, but should with the latest bios as well.

On my Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, reviews seem to stop around 192 which is where I am at. I need to read further though. I am just wondering if getting a D0 would be worth it if I am close to my board limit anyway. Since they are going to be discontinued I may get one and sell my C0. I didn't want to go over 1.44v if I can help it to check the BCLK limit. lol

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
First to Tankguys,
Sorry if I had doubted your business, but I was pointing out the fact that charging over the MSRP and selling the same product with different stepping under different prices is unethical. You should know this better than anyone. I do know exactly what the cost to run these businesses are, and that the profit margin is small. Neweggs, MC, etc has a huge leverage on the pricing/rebate and the small etailers like yours have hard time competing.
But as a deal hunter and forum member, I was advising many that other retailers have them for much cheaper. Yes, some loyal customers will continue to shop at yours and appreciate your personal support...I just want the members to make those choices.
I do apologize again if I had somehow called your business a shady one...I meant to say it's a small etailer.

To Supersix,
Don't know why you are so up with his etailer but I was pointing out that Newegg ships D0 only as of last 1-2weeks. All local MC around me has nothing but D0 (NY).
Do you see some of our members jumping on a mass Qty of Hotdeals and ebaying them at a premium? I am sure you are a strong supporter of that, as a matter of fact, you probably do so yourself. Yes it is a service where you buy a Qty under hotdeal and ebaying them (time, PP fee, shipping, etc) but anand members consider it unethical, especially in the eyes of intel/amd (dealing with distributers).

To HACP,
Tankguys gurantee a D0 stepping and charge a hefty premium over any etailers.
Few weeks ago, newegg was shipping 50/50 C0/D0 thus turning their business to tankguys.
But now that newegg, MC has only D0 it's worth shopping their instead.

TankGuys

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
First to Tankguys,
Sorry if I had doubted your business, but I was pointing out the fact that charging over the MSRP

There is no such thing as MSRP on these chips, actually. The price you are likely thinking of, that everyone thinks is MSRP, is actually the quoted cost for tray processors (not retail boxed) when purchased in minimum quantities of 1,000, directly from Intel. Yes, often times prices settle to near that range, due to many factors - but it is *not* MSRP. (If you do not beleive me, just check out this link. It's Intel's offical price sheet, and you'll notice the words "1Ku Tray Units" right at the top)

...and selling the same product with different stepping under different prices is unethical. You should know this better than anyone...

I disagree completely with this, as would most anyone else. You do understand that there is a significant amount of added effort and work on our part, to secure these specific items right? We also have to often pay more for them as well. So considering the added value, it's not even remotely unethical. Even if we were selling exactly the same processors as everyone else, it's still not unethical to sell at different prices - it's called free market economics.

Unethical would be taking these chips out of the box, putting them in 965 boxes, and selling them as 965s. Something along those lines - but providing a value added service, asked for by customers, and charging for said service isn't unethical by any definition of the word ;)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
First to Tankguys,
Sorry if I had doubted your business, but I was pointing out the fact that charging over the MSRP

There is no such thing as MSRP on these chips, actually. The price you are likely thinking of, that everyone thinks is MSRP, is actually the quoted cost for tray processors (not retail boxed) when purchased in minimum quantities of 1,000, directly from Intel. Yes, often times prices settle to near that range, due to many factors - but it is *not* MSRP. (If you do not beleive me, just check out this link. It's Intel's offical price sheet, and you'll notice the words "1Ku Tray Units" right at the top)

...and selling the same product with different stepping under different prices is unethical. You should know this better than anyone...

I disagree completely with this, as would most anyone else. You do understand that there is a significant amount of added effort and work on our part, to secure these specific items right? We also have to often pay more for them as well. So considering the added value, it's not even remotely unethical. Even if we were selling exactly the same processors as everyone else, it's still not unethical to sell at different prices - it's called free market economics.

Unethical would be taking these chips out of the box, putting them in 965 boxes, and selling them as 965s. Something along those lines - but providing a value added service, asked for by customers, and charging for said service isn't unethical by any definition of the word ;)

I am glad we can have these kinds of discussions in cordial manner like this.

There will never be a shortage of colliding ideals between the reality of how businesses operate versus how people would like to see them be non-profit organizations.

We get the same sort of idealistic rhetoric flare-up anytime there is a shortage of some cpu and the prices spike on newegg or elsewhere as supply and demand equilibrates. They are "gouging"! Its outrageous, blah blah.

I for one benefited from Newegg's policy of raising prices as supply dwindles. In fall of 2006 I was more than willing to pay a premium for QX6700 kentsfield if it made the difference between getting one or not getting one for another month.

There was little value to me as a customer to see 20 etailers list the QX6700 at $1k but not shipping for 3-4 wks. Because newegg was willing to raise the price on their handful of QX6700's in stock it reduced the demand which meant I could at least get my hands on one.

I think offering guaranteed D0's adds value to those customers who value their time and effort to the tune of whatever premium tankguys charges. If I were in the market today for a D0 I'd pay a premium for it just to know that I don't have to dick around with RMA's and the such should I end up with a C0/C1 instead from newegg.

Its a value-add proposition, if I don't value the added-value then I don't have to buy it...zero ethics issues here unless a person simply has ethical issues with any business being a for-profit business.

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Hacp
Since TankGuys removes all the D0s from the normal supply, does it mean they give discounts on the regular I7s? Who would want to buy an I7 with a 0% chance of getting a D0 from tank guys when they have a 50% shot at newegg?

Tankguys will guarantee you a D0, you get 100% chance.

TankGuys

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Hacp

We don't take all the D0's out of the supply. We are just typically one of - if not the first - company to get new revisions. Once they come out, it's all we stock, since that's what you guys want, and you're our core market. Nobody comes to us to buy "old" hardware ;)

99.99% of customers couldn't care less what stepping they get, so it really makes 0 sense for the bigger stores to bother breaking it down. It adds quite a bit of overhead and effort for almost no additional profit. Frankly, I run this business at about the breakeven point... it's a labor of love, not a money mill :D

imported_cheapo

Oct 9, 2009
if you call microcenter in texas they will ship without tax for $206 #1-713-940-8500 tell them your out of state took 3 days to recieve it was a DO stepping what a bargain . called 4 location before i got lucky with houstin branch.

first build for me so i'am new but cheap they also have q9550 for $166 shipped wow