Human Chimeras

lowfatbaconboy

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
Text

cliffnotes: A woman has been found to have 2 different sets of DNA in her. This was caused by 2 embryos joining to make 1 embryo.

discuss ramifications on:
1. if an embryo has a soul then that makes what 2 souls in 1 person?
2. changes to the embryo = human life argument from pro-lifers. If 2 embryos = 2 human lives and those can become one embryo / life then it seems that the assumption that embryo = human life is flawed.

also no she doesn't have immune system problems because the immune system isn't fully functional until a while after birth so it learns that the 2 DNAs are 'self' and not a foreign invader

edit: for clarification

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Heehee... I love when stuff like this happens. The religions scramble around to explain things.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
This seems to have nothing to do with any man made frankinstien science run amuck---its just naturally genetically a possibility that may be extremely rare.---so what.

Jun 27, 2005
I saw this on the Discovery Channel. They profiled a few people who had this.

One guy was a doctor whose sperm had different DNA from his blood or something like that. He had been drugging and raping women in his office and DNA had always cleared him.

Anyway... it's a fascinating thing.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
When I read this title I was thinking of Full Metal Alchemist :D

If a person can have two sets of DNA that is pretty cool. I wonder which set gets passed on

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
I saw this on the Discovery Channel. They profiled a few people who had this.

One guy was a doctor whose sperm had different DNA from his blood or something like that. He had been drugging and raping women in his office and DNA had always cleared him.

Anyway... it's a fascinating thing.

It also made for a great CSI episode.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
im guessing they will just say god decided to only have one person, to them they can pretty much explain anything because to them god can do anything , so there are no limitations (which actually isnt supported by the bible, as it shows there are things he couldnt do (according to the story)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: lowfatbaconboy
discuss ramifications on:
1. if an embryo has a soul then that makes what 2 souls in 1 person?

That's a really huge "if", given that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that such a thing as a "soul" exists at all.