Huge storm hitting Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Quite certain the Alaskans up there will weather this storm just fine. Now if it was off the coast of Louisiana...... :whiste:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The highest wind gusts recorded — 89 mph — were at Wales at the western tip of the Seward Peninsula, which forms the U.S. side of the Bering Strait, said Bob Fischer, lead forecaster for the weather service in Fairbanks.

Gusts do not make hurricanes, try to keep up. It would have been worse with sustained winds.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Looks like a duck
Walks like a Duck
Quacks like a Duck

Looks like a Hurricane to me

11-10-2011

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/alaskan-storm-gets-closeup-202017698.html

Alaskan storm displays shocking power

The chaos of the most powerful storm to hit the state in 40 years is caught on amateur video.

An incredibly powerful storm is slamming the coast of Alaska. Streets have flooded, roofs have been ripped away, and citizens have lost power. The winds are on par with a hurricane, and weather watchers have called the storm the most powerful one to hit Alaska in nearly four decades.

People caught in the storm have been capturing the chaos on video. One of the most compelling clips shows immense waves of water and mist battering the coast. Look closely and you'll see an excavator used in construction stuck under several feet of water.

Nome, Alaska, a small city on the state's far West Coast, bore much of storm's brunt.

You can check out the slideshow below for some harrowing photos.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
I wonder how much of this will be shown in the next season of Deadliest Catch (although this is a bit north of the crab grounds).

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Gusts do not make hurricanes, try to keep up. It would have been worse with sustained winds.

Sustained winds of 74 mph do NOT make hurricanes, either. Try to keep up.

To correctly be termed a hurricane (or typhoon), the weather system must be a tropical cyclone with sustained winds of at least 64 knots (73.65 mph). If it's not a tropical cyclone, it can't be a hurricane, even if it has sustained winds of at least 64 knots.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
The Bering sea is infamous for bad weather. This just happened to be one of countless storms that was worse then most.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I wonder how much of this will be shown in the next season of Deadliest Catch (although this is a bit north of the crab grounds).

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this. Then I realized its way too far north for that. Oh well, perhaps some of it will cause some drama for the show.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

To correctly be termed a hurricane (or typhoon), the weather system must be a tropical cyclone with sustained winds of at least 64 knots (73.65 mph). If it's not a tropical cyclone, it can't be a hurricane, even if it has sustained winds of at least 64 knots.

There is a type of storm that is common in arctic regions that is sometimes called an Arctic Hurricane. It is more properly called a Polar low and sometimes bears a visually very strong resemblance to a hurricane in satellite imagery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_low

While definately not a Hurricane in the same sense as a Tropical Hurricane it is most definately a type of cyclonic storm as evidenced by the counter clockwise rotation of the system. An "Arctic Hurricane" or Polar Low is more like a Nor'easter on steroids than a Tropical Hurricane.

There was an episode of Deadliest Catch in 2009 where there was an Arctic Hurricane. In that same storm a fishing boat called the Katmai went down. There were 4 survivors that survived in those Arctic Survival suits. Pretty amazing that they survived after all that ime in the water.

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

stop splitting hairs. that storm looked and acted a lot like a hurricane.

Status
Not open for further replies.