Huge paycut :(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: iliopsoas
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
Originally posted by: Paddington
you went to college and make less than $50,000???

I graduated from Cornell, and I'd say most of my class - who got jobs - made less than that when they graduated.

There was a desperate craze to get finance jobs on Wall Street. Thousands of people were applying for maybe 20-30 positions altogether. This included virtually all of the computer science/engineering guys since the tech industry had collapsed. Those handful of Wall Street jobs were the only good paying ones out of college.

All the premeds who didn't make it got stuck working as lab assistants/researchers for horrendous pay. English majors get crap jobs as writers, rewriting press releases...

To be sure that you're going to get a good paying job these days you almost have to go to graduate school. A college diploma does nothing.
weird... i'm starting at 50k+ with nothing but an BS in accounting from Arizona State.

And people tell me that I'll be underpaid.

Dude, you're overpaid at $50K starting salary for general accounting work.

:roll:

accounting is perennially one of the most underpaid fields out there

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
Originally posted by: forfor
do you have college degree?

Yes, actually a top 20 college according to US News. Double majored too, in Finance and Management.

Then anything less than $40K is insult.

You're worth only as much as someone else thinks you're worth. It doesn't matter what you think you're worth.

Stop feeling entitled to something that isn't yours (a company's money)

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I make less than 30k with a B.S. in MIS. Money isn't everything to me. I enjoy what I do, and as long as I can pay the bills, that's all that matters. I don't want to be another corporate slave.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Find another job, seriously. This offer basically says, we don't really want you here enough to pay you descent wage, but if you want to be an underpaid slave, we may keep you around.
Just look outside. There is very low unemployment out there, and you have a good degree. Get yourself a nicer job now before the situation gets worse and you are stuck in a low paying job.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
I make less than 30k with a B.S. in MIS. Money isn't everything to me. I enjoy what I do, and as long as I can pay the bills, that's all that matters. I don't want to be another corporate slave.

it's not about being a slave.

It's about making the mortgage and putting away money for retirement. I can't see how either could be done without at least 40K a year.

My wife and I make 80K+ a year combined and struggle to make ends meet and sock enough away for retirement. Thats not being a corporate slave, thats planning on a future of not having to live paycheck to paycheck and not have to work after 50.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

This explains a lot of things about your views.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: forfor
do you have college degree?

Yes, actually a top 20 college according to US News. Double majored too, in Finance and Management.

Then anything less than $40K is insult.

You're worth only as much as someone else thinks you're worth. It doesn't matter what you think you're worth.

Stop feeling entitled to something that isn't yours (a company's money)

It absolutely does matter what you think you are worth.
You aren't entitled to a company's money, but you are entitled to reject their offer if you think you can get more in the marketplace. You are worth the highest of the offers you get, not the first one.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Rage187

It's about making the mortgage and putting away money for retirement. I can't see how either could be done without at least 40K a year.

My wife and I make 80K+ a year combined and struggle to make ends meet and sock enough away for retirement. Thats not being a corporate slave, thats planning on a future of not having to live paycheck to paycheck and not have to work after 50.

Don't you know PaulNEPats? He thinks government should tax everyone and pay for his healthcare and take care of him when he's 65.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80

Don't you know PaulNEPats? He thinks government should tax everyone and pay for his healthcare and take care of him when he's 65.

Don't put words into my mouth. My healthcare is covered by my employer, and I still manage to put my pennies together and max out my IRA. Stop being an elitist toolbag.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Hey whatever floats your boat. If it works for you then great.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

Don't put words into my mouth. My healthcare is covered by my employer, and I still manage to put my pennies together and max out my IRA. Stop being an elitist toolbag.

Elitest? You're the one that thinks government should take all our money and wipe our a$$es with it!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
JS80. Just so you don't have to put words in PaulNEPats' mouth, I think the government should tax everyone and pay for their healthcare and take care of them when they are old.
Not sure what it has to do with this thread though.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Elitest? You're the one that thinks government should take all our money and wipe our a$$es with it!

When did I say that? Unless you're talking about that Massachusetts Healthcare Bill thread from a while ago (which I do agree with). Because I think it's a good idea that will help a lot of people, that automatically means I want the government to take all our money? LOL.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
1.5 years isn't a lot of experience, it's still close to entry level as far as recruiters are concerned. You'll probably have to cut your teeth anywhere you go if you want to be a "full-time" employee instead of being a temp or contractor. Maybe consider getting your Masters/graduate degree part-time while working, and find another job elsewhere. Even better, maybe your employer has tuition reimbursement or a program to pay for your graduate degree.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Could you keep your political trolling in political threads? Nobody cares about your petty squabbles. You're the right-wing equivalent of dmccowen, trying to fit your political nonsense in wherever you can. That's sad.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006

Well you are being slave, there's no other word that describe well somebody who is paid segment of what he is worth.

Freedom on west is earned by financial freedom, and with <30K you can't exercise your freedom, you have to work.

Sensai

Nov 30, 2002
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
1.5 years isn't a lot of experience, it's still close to entry level as far as recruiters are concerned. You'll probably have to cut your teeth anywhere you go if you want to be a "full-time" employee instead of being a temp or contractor. Maybe consider getting your Masters/graduate degree part-time while working, and find another job elsewhere. Even better, maybe your employer has tuition reimbursement or a program to pay for your graduate degree.

True words above or other choice, continue consulting for another couple years while schooling if time allows. You'll make a more impressive skill list and experiences.... man, reading your OP makes me think im looking into a mirror of my future!

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs

Could you keep your political trolling in political threads? Nobody cares about your petty squabbles. You're the right-wing equivalent of dmccowen, trying to fit your political nonsense in wherever you can. That's sad.

ouch

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
is there a performance bonus, cuz that's what really separates consultant vs full time at a financial company.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

Since when is Libertarian equal to Right Wing :roll:

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
i just got "promoted" and went from non-exempt (with about 10-12 hrs. of overtime a week) to exempt (no overtime). i estimate i took about a 10-12k paycut. thats not cool :(

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002

I graduated from Cornell, and I'd say most of my class - who got jobs - made less than that when they graduated.

There was a desperate craze to get finance jobs on Wall Street. Thousands of people were applying for maybe 20-30 positions altogether. This included virtually all of the computer science/engineering guys since the tech industry had collapsed. Those handful of Wall Street jobs were the only good paying ones out of college.

All the premeds who didn't make it got stuck working as lab assistants/researchers for horrendous pay. English majors get crap jobs as writers, rewriting press releases...

To be sure that you're going to get a good paying job these days you almost have to go to graduate school. A college diploma does nothing.
weird... i'm starting at 50k+ with nothing but an BS in accounting from Arizona State.

i see you live in san jose. San Jose big 4 actually pay higher than San Francisco, at least in auditing. Go to one of the offices and try telling the people that average 300 hours of unpaid overtime each year that they're being overpaid.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

i see you live in san jose. San Jose big 4 actually pay higher than San Francisco, at least in auditing. Go to one of the offices and try telling the people that average 300 hours of unpaid overtime each year that they're being overpaid.

That's only 6 hours a week..