Huge Input lag on USB-Game adaptor

Tjalve

Aug 19, 2013
Hi everyone. I have a small problem that starts to get really frustrating. I have build myslef an HTPC- The purpose is to have a machine in the living room that i can use form movies, but also for playing several old console games using an emulator.

For this i have a Playstation 2 controller connected to a USB konverter, witch then is connected to the machine. I remeber having this set-up a few yeras ago and it worked great.

Now to the problem. I get HUGE input-lag using the controller. You know when you try to play an old NESgame (like super mario) and the lag is something like 400-500ms, its extremly frustrating and unplayable. So the question is why?

What i have tried is:
* Connect it to my startard dektop PC, it works better there, but not good.
* My girlfriend bought a cheap native-USB game-pad, and she has similar issues on her machine.
* Tested another USB port
* I upgraded the CPU in several steps (for other reasons) and it dident help.
* I also switch Motherboard and GPU

My setup:
MB: Some Asus, mATX (cheap stuff). I can get exact model number of its intersting.
GPU: AMD Reason HD7770
CPU: Intel Celeron G630
RAM: 4GB of cheap DDR3 memory
Running Windows 7 x64 SP1

I also had this issue on my old setup, witch was an Asus motherboard with integrated AMD E-350 APU.

The HDMI on the GPU is connected to my Sony Bravia 55" LCD TV. That is the connected with SPDIF to my reciever (pass trough) for sound.

My girl (who has similar issues) with a native USB game-pad uses an intergrated AMD E350 APU.

The only similareties between the two systems is:
* AMD Graphics
* TV as a monitor (my girld has a new TV now, and the problem persists)

Any and all help is greatly appritiated. Is there any way to see where the problem is and what i can do to fix it?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
3 possibilities.

A) The emulator game pad profile needs to be changed to a different setting.

B) The controller is messed up.

C) The USB to PS convertor is messed up.

When you changed motherboards and all that did you just clone the drive?

You can also try running USBdeview and uninstalling all devices and then plug the USB controller back in. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Last edited:

Tjalve

Aug 19, 2013
A) The problem persists even in gamnes that dows not run in an emulator.
B) As i described in my original post. The problem persists with a native USB gamepad.
C) See above.

I reinstalled the entire system from scratch on a new SSD (Intel 320 300GB)