"Huge" Exclusive Announcement in next month's PC Gamer!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
I've never seen a magazine I own announce their joke in advance. Usually they like to surprise people by announcing things like Kingdom Hearts: Mushroom Kingdom or whatever and hope the hopeless fools send in emails about how excited they are. I wouldn't put it past someone to do it but the joke will be figured out, played, dead, and buried before the April issue hits streets and we find out it's Animal Crossing 2: Bear Country.

Part of me wants to never see Duke Nukem Forever launch. I mean, can you imagine how much of a colossal disappointment it will be? Odds are the graphics will be dated, gameplay underwhelming, and it will bring nothing new to the table... after ten years. Better off a vaporware legend, I say.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Sid Meier's SimBear:
Starting as a wee little cub you must claim territory for food sources and defend it against rival bears as you build up a family and spawn as many cubs as possible before a hunter shoots you

The BearSims:
Decorate your bear den with neat add-ons and dress up your little cubs! Also features in-depth romance!

Tom Clancy's Bear Recon:
Lead a squadron of Bears as you raid an unsuspecting campsite trying to subdue the campers and secure their foodstuffs

Bear Hunt!
Use a USB Infra Red gun to shoot bears. Have stupid little dog laugh at you when you miss

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Cabages
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: Cabages
Gonna be April fools.

If it is, they know people will be pissed. I really think that's a stupid thing to say. Especially considering I talked to Dan Stapleton, and he assured me it was a game.

Whatever, have fun wasting your time.

Still think its going to be April fools.

Hey, there's no hurting in speculating, eh?

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I haven't read PC gamer in years but even then they weren't my favorite magizine. Computer Games Magizine was my favorite, I wonder if they're still around...

*edit* I guess not. :(

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
*All speculation and my opinion*

It won't be a Blizzard game
It won't be a Valve game
It will probably be an EA game
It will probably be stupid and not worth hyping
We probably already knew it was happening, there just hadn't been a formal announcement

It could also be the new Lucasarts/Bioware game

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: RandomFool
I haven't read PC gamer in years but even then they weren't my favorite magizine. Computer Games Magizine was my favorite, I wonder if they're still around...

wrong :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Games_Magazine

a new incarnation ... Games for Windows

On July 10, 2007 [2]a post from an apparent administrator on the Computer Games Magazine website forums (CGOnline.com) indicated that both Computer Games Magazine and MMO Games Magazine would be brought back to the public under a new publisher. The magazine was shut down in March and it took until the end of May to acquire it (and this site). We're in the process of fixing a number of things simultaneously: Computer Games Magazine and sibling MMO Games Magazine (formerly MASSIVE magazine), plus, we're re-launching both sites (sorry they're a bit broken right now). Existing subscribers will absolutely be taken care of... All subscriptions will be honored when we re-launch (and we might even get you a subscription to another magazine in the meantime). Importantly, we are beginning the process of making all 197 back-issues of CGM available online in some form (a gigantic undertaking). We're committed. We're into it. We're working like crazy. And, the same fine writers are still interested in continuing the excellence CGM readers have enjoyed for the past 20 years. Thanks for hanging in there!

In the October 2007 issue of Games for Windows: The Official Magazine, a letter addressing Computer Games Magazine subscribers informed them that their pre-existing subscriptions had been applied to Games for Windows. It is currently unknown whether the future re-launch of Computer Games Magazine might also use the same subscriptions or require a new one.

it isn't quite as good as before :p

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin

wrong :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Games_Magazine

a new incarnation ... Games for Windows

On July 10, 2007 [2]a post from an apparent administrator on the Computer Games Magazine website forums (CGOnline.com) indicated that both Computer Games Magazine and MMO Games Magazine would be brought back to the public under a new publisher. The magazine was shut down in March and it took until the end of May to acquire it (and this site). We're in the process of fixing a number of things simultaneously: Computer Games Magazine and sibling MMO Games Magazine (formerly MASSIVE magazine), plus, we're re-launching both sites (sorry they're a bit broken right now). Existing subscribers will absolutely be taken care of... All subscriptions will be honored when we re-launch (and we might even get you a subscription to another magazine in the meantime). Importantly, we are beginning the process of making all 197 back-issues of CGM available online in some form (a gigantic undertaking). We're committed. We're into it. We're working like crazy. And, the same fine writers are still interested in continuing the excellence CGM readers have enjoyed for the past 20 years. Thanks for hanging in there!

In the October 2007 issue of Games for Windows: The Official Magazine, a letter addressing Computer Games Magazine subscribers informed them that their pre-existing subscriptions had been applied to Games for Windows. It is currently unknown whether the future re-launch of Computer Games Magazine might also use the same subscriptions or require a new one.

it isn't quite as good as before :p

the podcast is awesome though.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Hey guys, Schniederguy and I were talking, and he'd like to throw in HL2 EP3

fuck, I think he's right. I was so hoping for AoE4. :(

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Eh, I don't think that's it. It's fairly big.

And apparently, GFW is covering the same game:
"We pull back the curtain to reveal the newest installment of one of PC gaming's biggest series."
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3165618

Unless two very big games from a big series are being announced simaltaneously. :rolleyes;

Glayde

Sep 30, 2004
I may have heard rumors it's a new star wars mmo by bioware?

Or I may have not.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: TehMac
Eh, I don't think that's it. It's fairly big.

And apparently, GFW is covering the same game:
"We pull back the curtain to reveal the newest installment of one of PC gaming's biggest series."
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3165618

Unless two very big games from a big series are being announced simaltaneously. :rolleyes;

Wow, so PC Gamer's "exclusive" coverage is already eroded ?

I'm sure if it's not something we already know about we'll find out in a few days on the Super Duper World Wide Web

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

That's what happens when you wonder if they're still around instead of subscribing.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I haven't seen any guesses for Civ 5. I don't expect that's it, though.

Usually, I don't play along with these marketing obnoxious demand-building campaigns, but a bit for the game magazines this time, well, ok.

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
:confused:has anyone thought it'd be a crappy cabalas game?

That would explain the secret too, it sucks so bad they don't want to waste money on ads