4530878_G.jpg

4530744_G.jpg

4530746_G.jpg

4530927_G.jpg

4530750_G.jpg

4530928_G.jpg

Open carry demonstrators protest police shootings
Link to story:
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26328877/gun-club-patrols-south-dallas-streets#.U_Uo2rsqiNp.facebook
Demonstrators held an open carry gun march through South Dallas on Wednesday to protest police shootings.
Organizers said the show of force served as a reminder of the right to bear arms to protect themselves from criminals and from police.
About 30 men and women with the Huey P. Newton Gun Club rallied through the streets, focusing on deadly police shootings from the Ferguson, MO shooting death of teen Michael Brown to shootings by local police.
Some carried long guns, rifles, shotguns and AR-15s, while others carried signs others and wore messages.
“I think it's a good thing,” said Reginald Cofer with Mothers Against Teen Violence.
“They are trying to protect the community,” said Jacey Cofer with Mothers Against Teen Violence. “At the city hall meeting the other day, we got no answers. It's been a bunch of murders, the cops are not being accountable for it, and we want answers.”
The marchers entered a south Dallas restaurant with their weapons, where Dallas police officers inside were finishing eating lunch.
“My brother was killed by Dallas police back in June,” said David Harrison, whose brother, Jason, was shot and killed by Dallas police June 14.
Police were called to the Harrison home on that day by Jason's mother, and police said Jason lunged at them with a screwdriver.
Jason's family is still waiting for answers.
“Trying to have patience and just keeping busy staying with everything and hoping that the right thing is gonna be done,” said David.
People watched as the marchers worked their way along Malcolm X Boulevard, and Dallas police in a black SUV provided unsolicited security for the demonstrators.
One of them, Drew X with the New Black Panther Party, warned, “If they don't get these people under control with this police brutality and this abuse, this gonna be an international crisis.”
The gun club takes its name from Huey P. Newton, one of the founders of the original Black Panther Party that evolved in the 1960s.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
The gun club takes its name from Huey P. Newton, one of the founders of the original Black Panther Party that evolved in the 1960s.

Well, we can now surmise what they actually stand for

Vapid Cabal

Dec 2, 2013
No way. A protest without looting and riots.

I do think it is interesting that they are asserting the right to bear arms against criminals, and at the same time holding signs wanting justice for a criminal.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of the right of self protection, but we could definitely use some kind of campaign or rally to remind people that physical assault as a form of communication towards other civilians or law enforcement is not only illegal, it's counterproductive and dangerous.

I see a real problem with fists answering words being considered reasonable and appropriate, also the emphasis on the presence of a weapon being a prerequisite for taking steps to defend oneself. You punch or kick someone hard enough in the right spot and they die, no weapons required. Law enforcement and law abiding citizens are under no obligation to receive a severe, potentially life-altering (or ending) beating just because someone is having a bad day.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that fewer aggressive people attacking others will result in fewer people getting shot in self-defense. It's a simple matter of cause and effect. Don't want to get shot? Don't attack people and give them a reason to defend themselves. Pretty straight forward really.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Sweet I can't wait for all the gun nuts to come in here and cheer them on! I'm sure it will happen right after the NRA joins in on the march!

Vapid Cabal

Dec 2, 2013
I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of the right of self protection, but we could definitely use some kind of campaign or rally to remind people that physical assault as a form of communication towards other civilians or law enforcement is not only illegal, it's counterproductive and dangerous.

I see a real problem with fists answering words being considered reasonable and appropriate, also the emphasis on the presence of a weapon being a prerequisite for taking steps to defend oneself. You punch or kick someone hard enough in the right spot and they die, no weapons required. Law enforcement and law abiding citizens are under no obligation to receive a severe, potentially life-altering (or ending) beating just because someone is having a bad day.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that fewer aggressive people attacking others will result in fewer people getting shot in self-defense. It's a simple matter of cause and effect. Don't want to get shot? Don't attack people and give them a reason to defend themselves. Pretty straight forward really.

Well put.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Black Panthers had them in the 60's too in California until Governor Ronald Regan changed the gun law.

Yep them guys were the first OC protesters. Governor don't like it when you park your ass on the capitol steps with shotguns and inside to. But what is funny is the story about huey selling mao red books to 60s yippes to get cash for the guns.http://archive.org/stream/SeizeTheTimeTheStoryOfTheBlackPantherParty/STT_djvu.txt

guns-2.jpg

And listen to what Reagan did, http://disinfo.com/2011/08/the-black-panthers-and-the-gun-rights-movement/#sthash.cAr1nVmN.dpuf

The Pathers’ efforts provoked an immediate backlash. Republicans in California eagerly supported increased gun control. Governor Reagan told reporters that afternoon that he saw “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” He called guns a “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will.” In a later press conference, Reagan said he didn’t “know of any sportsman who leaves his home with a gun to go out into the field to hunt or for target shooting who carries that gun loaded.” The Mulford Act, he said, “would work no hardship on the honest citizen.” -

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Good for them, though I can't say I agree with the reasoning behind it, especially with what we're starting to find out about the Brown incident.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
I do think it is interesting that they are asserting the right to bear arms against criminals, and at the same time holding signs wanting justice for a criminal.
Aahhahaa?! Due process, wut? Presumption of innocense, wassat? Ever heard of those things?

Since you seem to know everything already, why do we even bother with courts and lawyers, just let Mr. Vapid here sort them out!

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Buffalo_Soldiers_Fort_Davis_1875.jpg

Its Texas. Home of the Buffalo Soldier.
Fort Davis stands unique among frontier forts in that it became the Regimental Headquarters for all four Buffalo Soldier regiments that served during the last decades of the 19th-century. Troopers of the Ninth Cavalry were the first Buffalo Soldiers to garrison Fort Davis. Arriving in the summer of 1867, they reoccupied the fort that had been abandoned by Union forces at the outbreak of the Civil War.
Buffalo Soldier (youtube Bob Marley).

As a Sentry Dog Handler, I carried regularly during my 15 month and 28 day tour. As a civilian, its not something that I'm inclined to do...

But hey, this is Texas.

And like the Buffalo Soldiers, those people in the photos in the OP, they fit in here...

I'm okay with that...

Uno

Last edited:

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Ironic the Huey P. Newton gun club wants to stop police shootings.?
Huey Newton was convicted of shooting a police officer. And later was shot dead by a black gangster.

Vapid Cabal

Dec 2, 2013
Aahhahaa?! Due process, wut? Presumption of innocense, wassat? Ever heard of those things?

Since you seem to know everything already, why do we even bother with courts and lawyers, just let Mr. Vapid here sort them out!

Yeah, I tend to presume someone is innocent when they are shown on video assaulting another human being. Unfortunately, the person in question is deceased, and will never get a chance to stand trial.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I somehow think that Texas will not be changing it's gun laws anytime in the foreseeable future. These people acted far more responsibly than the usual open carry crowd in Texas as of late, the other groups could learn from them.

:thumbsup:

Ironic the Huey P. Newton gun club wants to stop police shootings.?
Huey Newton was convicted and later acquitted of shooting a police officer. And later was shot dead by a black gangster.

Fixed that for you.