Huckabee's son killed & hung a dog when he was 17? WTF?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
NewsWeek

The details of the incident remain murky. The Animal Legal Defense Fund got an anonymous fax that summer alleging that David Huckabee and another youth had been involved in the hanging of a stray dog at the camp on July 11. A local animal-rights activist, Joyce Hillard, later contacted the camp director. Notes of Hillard's report to the defense fund read, "Boys confessed & were fired. Dir. is making excuses, saying dog was sic & boys were putting him out of his misery." (The director told NEWSWEEK only that a stray dog was "put down" and that the counselors were fired for violating the Scout credo to be "kind.") The father of the other counselor was quoted by the Arkansas Democrat Gazette in August 1998 as saying that his son found the dog "hung over a limb and choking." David Huckabee did not respond to requests for comment. (In April of this year, he was arrested?and paid a fine?when he forgot to remove a loaded gun from his carry-on luggage at Little Rock airport.) His father told NEWSWEEK THAT his son did not engage in "intentional torture." "There was a dog that apparently had mange and was absolutely, I guess, emaciated." A campaign official says David "regrets" the incident and notes that he later made Eagle Scout.

The first part of the article talks about how Huckabee allegedly quashed the issue...

The son looks to be a fine sociopath... I have some grave reservations about politicos that use their office to protect family members, Huckabee certainly doesn't belong on the national stage.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
PK's, imo, are usually pretty messed up.

But then again, I don't think it's fair to attack Huckabee based on his screwed up kids. I do think it's fair to attack Huckabee on his numerous shortcomings, though.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I have some grave reservations about politicos that use their office to protect family members, Huckabee certainly doesn't belong on the national stage.

Oh come on. That's standard Operation Proceedure for career politicians.

If your hero wasn't protected he certainly wouldn't be president now.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: brxndxn
PK's, imo, are usually pretty messed up.

But then again, I don't think it's fair to attack Huckabee based on his screwed up kids. I do think it's fair to attack Huckabee on his numerous shortcomings, though.

I agree, but putting pressure on anyone to drop the investigation is wrong, which is apparently what happened.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
If you know anything about dogs, Pliable, you'd know that the safest and more merciful way IS to choke them to death. They are only given letahl injections in medical offices because it's less offensive to owners, but it's well known among dog lovers that dogs suffer the least agony if they are gradually choked to death, so I think we should celebrate Huckabee's son as a perfectly sane individual who would put others beyond himself. Further, the incident on the plane was only in case he had to get into a gun fight with a terrorist, so yet more altruism. I think it speaks volumes about the kid and would love for anybody related to him to hold the highest office in the land! :thumbsup:

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I have some grave reservations about politicos that use their office to protect family members, Huckabee certainly doesn't belong on the national stage.

That's right, Dave. Your hero Bill Clinton was notorious for abusing his power to protect family. Remember the crack head Roger? :laugh:

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster

That's right, Dave. Your hero Bill Clinton was notorious for abusing his power to protect family. Remember the crack head Roger? :laugh:

In all fairness, Roger never went on to be President of the United States. But I gather you'd agree that his cocaine use wouldn't disqualify him, right?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
In all fairness, Roger never went on to be President of the United States. But I gather you'd agree that his cocaine use wouldn't disqualify him, right?

And we're thankful for that. :laugh:

You're right. Previous drug use does not, and should not, disqualify one to be POTUS.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

You're right.

Previous drug use does not, and should not, disqualify one to be POTUS.

Interesting.

Many drug users also have Felony convictions of some sort as well.

Felons have a real hard time getting a job but yet you support them as POTUS?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

You're right.

Previous drug use does not, and should not, disqualify one to be POTUS.

Interesting.

In all fairness, if we didn't allow ex drug users to run, we'd lose 1/3rd of the field, and that's from people who've admitted. If we didn't allow anybody to run who'd ever tried it even in university we'd probably have one left :)

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Interesting.

:roll:

They're not all felons, Dave. You're stereotyping an entire group (again).

If it was OK for Bill to puff, I think the bar is pretty low :laugh:

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
If you know anything about dogs, Pliable, you'd know that the safest and more merciful way IS to choke them to death. They are only given letahl injections in medical offices because it's less offensive to owners, but it's well known among dog lovers that dogs suffer the least agony if they are gradually choked to death, so I think we should celebrate Huckabee's son as a perfectly sane individual who would put others beyond himself. Further, the incident on the plane was only in case he had to get into a gun fight with a terrorist, so yet more altruism. I think it speaks volumes about the kid and would love for anybody related to him to hold the highest office in the land! :thumbsup:

Well he did make Eagle Scout... By golly he could take out all of those terrorists...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Reminds me of stories I've heard of George W. Bush's cruelty to animals as a teenager.

On May 21, 2000, the New York Times reported that, as a child, Bush and his friends used to torture animals for pleasure, "`We were terrible to animals,' recalled [Bush's boyhood friend Terry] Throckmorton, laughing. A dip behind the Bush borne turned into a small lake after a good rain, and thousands of frogs would come out. `Everybody would get BB guns and shoot them,' Throckmorton said. `Or we'd put firecrackers in the frogs and throw them and blow them up.'" Note that the torture took place on Bush property; had Bush wanted to, he could easily have stopped this sadistic behavior. Instead, since it was his domain, it is more likely that Bush was a ringleader.

Later, while an undergrad at Yale University, Bush was a president of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, which engaged in initiation procedures described as "sadistic and obscene," including burning pledges with a hot branding iron. When the fraternity's sadistic rituals were uncovered by Yale authorities, Bush, then a Yale senior, defended the practice to the New York Times in an article that appeared on November 7, 1967, saying that the wound was "only a cigarette burn."

Later, after becoming governor of Texas, Bush oversaw the executions of 131 people. In 1998, Bush signed the death warrant for a woman named Karla Tucker, who was executed on February 3, 1998. In an interview with Tucker Carlson that appeared in the September 1999 issue of Talk Magazine, Bush mocked Tucker's last-minute pleas for clemency. In the interview, Bush imitated Tucker with an exaggerated whimper, saying, "Please don't kill me." Even famously right-wing Carlson was shocked at Bush's behavior, and he wrote that as Bush performed this sadistic imitation, "I must look shocked Ë? ridiculing the pleas of a condemned prisoner who has since been executed seems odd and cruel Ë? because he immediately stops smirking." This revolting incident may not prove that Bush has a predilection toward sadism or torture, but it reveals an inability to understand the suffering of another human being, which is a prerequisite to inflicting torture.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
If you know anything about dogs, Pliable, you'd know that the safest and more merciful way IS to choke them to death. They are only given letahl injections in medical offices because it's less offensive to owners, but it's well known among dog lovers that dogs suffer the least agony if they are gradually choked to death, so I think we should celebrate Huckabee's son as a perfectly sane individual who would put others beyond himself.

well said. anyone who watched I Am Legend will understand this too.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Not so distant history

What possible relevance can this have to this discussion? Animal cruelty is hardly the same thing as stealing beer. There is no allegation that Dean tried to cover this up - if anything it's more equivalent to Jenna Bush's being caught with a fake ID twice in less than two weeks in Austin.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Interesting.

:roll:

They're not all felons, Dave. You're stereotyping an entire group (again).

If it was OK for Bill to puff, I think the bar is pretty low :laugh:

Many=All ??? :roll:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Not so distant history

What possible relevance can this have to this discussion? Animal cruelty is hardly the same thing as stealing beer. There is no allegation that Dean tried to cover this up - if anything it's more equivalent to Jenna Bush's being caught with a fake ID twice in less than two weeks in Austin.

I'm not comparing the actions(Dean's son's criminal conviction vs Huck's kid's admission) - just the comments about how it's relevant to the candidate.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

I think it is safe to say that all the "PKs" have had some less than desirable backgrounds and incidents, like anyone else. His point, I believe, is that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. And I concur.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This constant barrage of personal attacks, Huckabee must be doing something right.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

You're right. Previous drug use does not, and should not, disqualify one to be POTUS.

It's amazing; people who use drugs can be president, but smoking weed a few times in college disqualified me from being a police officer at one point. How fucked up is that?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

But I don't want a president's kid to be the antagonist in a Steven King novel... :shocked: