Huawei Mate 20 Pro in the US

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Am moving back stateside after years away, and currently have the above phone. It's a great phone and very happy with it, but I hear it doesn't play well with US networks. Anyone know if there is any truth to this, and would selling it before leaving be the best option. Would prefer not to.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I've been using a Mate 9 for years now with Cricket which is AT&T owned. Still love it and use it daily. The 20 Pro came out afterwards and has a better camera of course, I've read of no issues with US carriers, they just won't sell them.

Reactions: Plester

aapoub

May 30, 2019
It’s a good choice; Australian cheaper model phone technology makes the brand look even better. I’m fan of them for the past couple of weeks, like just got it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It’s a good choice; Australian cheaper model phone technology makes the brand look even better. I’m fan of them for the past couple of weeks, like just got it.

It's a horrible choice now, I'm afraid. You did see the US decision that forced Google to drop all Android support for Huawei, right? This is a phone that will at best get a couple more months of OS updates before it's locked into its current version of Android for all eternity. The OP can keep their existing device so long as it has some basic compatibility, but they should probably look at selling it if they haven't already.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I'm using the phone on google fi which uses T-Mobile's network, no issues.
It's about to get locked out of updates but if you weigh pros and cons, your best bet is to hang onto it. You'll lose too much if you trade it in now and you'll have to spend a lot to get a comparably performing phone. I'm keeping mine for another year at least.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I just picked up a Huawei Mate 20 X. I was a bit reluctant with the ban on Huawei products, but had read only new products are in jeopardy, not existing product lines. I use T-Mobile and so far I have not encountered any issues.

Battery life is phenomenal. Over a 24 hour period, I used the screen for 4 hours and it battery went from 100% to 65%. Also played some games on it too. I am almost through the day today and am still above 50%.

Perfect phone IMO - Large Screen (7.2") and a small footprint. It was either this phone, or a separate tablet purchase.