Question Huawei experiences

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
The new Huawei mate books seem very nice, but there is not a lot of documentation about the brand's track record with consumers in the US. Any experiences out there?

Feb 25, 2011
Housemate's got a Huawei Mate SE. It's a perfectly good/solid phone. Haven't had any problems with it so don't know how their customer/warranty support is. OTOH, it was cheap enough that if it died we'd probably get a new one without flinching, rather than try to fix it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3390192/good-huawei-customer-support.html

This makes them sound pretty terrible, but it honestly sounds like every other "disposable gadget" manufacturer out there. Cost cutting because it's easier to replace stuff.

Housemate's been watching the news and getting a little uncomfortable with the idea of a new Huawei phone if this one goes south. Can't say that I blame her, even though the only way her phone is a national security risk is if the Chinese can weaponize cringey Tinder DMs.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
The new Huawei mate books seem very nice, but there is not a lot of documentation about the brand's track record with consumers in the US. Any experiences out there?
I have the original Matebook X. It's a i5-7200U in a tiny and fanless 13" chassis. First off, I found no evidence of spying. I think that's more of a concern for the telephone network equipment. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, but the out-of-the-box setup was clean.

I've been using it for over a year and paid $750 for it. Overall, I think it's good. Screen is clear text, good colors, reasonable brightness and I really like the aspect ratio. The keyboard is much better than the 2016 MacBook Pro but the touch pad is worse. The fingerprint login on the power button is slick, more laptops should do that. Performance is adequate. Battery life is about 6 hours in my usage. WiFi is good, again faster than my 2016 MBP. And the SSD is faster than a SATA SSD but it isn't Samsung 970 Pro/EVO fast. It uses the Windows precision touch pad driver and supports all the usual gestures.

I have two problems with it: audible interference when using headphones (your mileage may vary here) and an creaking noise when opening the lid.

Last edited:

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I have been doing research, and the biggest complaint I saw from reviews was the build quality. There were a few people complaining that the screens died.