Question HTPC / Zoom Budget Build

justaguy168

Jul 20, 2011
Requesting assistance with a HTPC Build. I started to configue myself on Newegg and got hung up on selecting which i3 processor -- 2nd gen, 10th gen -- help!

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
  • Wireless internet connection using Verizon FIOS.
  • DVD playback both standard and BluRay "classic." We like to watch old (1969 and earlier) movies that are on DVD. Some are on BluRay.
  • Stream HBO and Netflix.
  • Webcam connection used for Zoom or Google Meet.
  • Decent 2-speaker stereo sound. No subwoofer.
  • HDMI connection to a 45" TV.
  • Will be left on 24/7.
  • Will run Linux, probably Ubuntu. Will remote access through ssh -X or other facility because elderly father will have trouble using.
  • No 4K movies. Neither streaming nor with a 4K "Ultra HD Bluray" player.
  • No gaming, not even solitaire.
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Approximately $1000. This should include the optical disk drive. This price does not include a monitor or any peripherals. If this is unreasonably low, I'm open to suggestions.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA. Newegg/Amazon/B+H Photo/another reputable etailer. Also open to suggestions.

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

NA

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
  • I have a strong preference for intel i3s. Unless there is a compelling reason, I would like a low power CPU (65 Watt TDP).
  • Prefer on-board graphics. Unless there's a compelling reason to use a graphics card. Remember, no gaming.
  • Lower voltage memory modules. Will I need faster than 1333 MHz?
  • Is a Noctua NH-L9 or Scythe Big Shuriken CPU cooler overkill?
  • Prefer an ITX form factor. But will that give me the space for the cooling needed for always on operation?
6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Starting from scratch.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I do not want to overclock.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
1920x1080 or 1080p or "full high definition." I may wind up getting a 4K TV since they're so common, but I only want to output a 1080p signal.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
ASAP.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
DVD playback both standard and BluRay "classic." We like to watch old (1969 and earlier) movies that are on DVD. Some are on BluRay.
  • Will run Linux, probably Ubuntu. Will remote access through ssh -X or other facility because elderly father will have trouble using.
  • No 4K movies. Neither streaming nor with a 4K "Ultra HD Bluray" player.
Nuh-uh. I don't think that you can play Blu-Ray movies on Linux? (Or can you? Are there Pir8 libs available to decrypt the discs?) At least, not legally.

The only solution that I know of, is PowerDVD Ultra on Windows 10, which is it's own total PITA, as far as HDCP-compliance goes, and PVP, and stuff like that.

Or use 'makemkv' to rip the discs, and then playback the .mp4 files with a media player. That might work.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
ASUS PN50 Mini PC

Supported Memory. 16GB is good enough.

or

ASRock Desk Mini

==

Forget Linux. Old people don't know how to use it and it's hard for anyone to support it.

Install Open Shell Menu so Windows 10 works more like Windows 7
latest version.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Intel i3 NUC if you don't like AMD

If you can wait a bit longer - Tiger Lake 11 NUC
Xe Graphics is superior than UHD Graphics 630

Last edited:

justaguy168

Jul 20, 2011
VirtualLarry,

Okay, forget about the BlueRay. Won't really need it. Needs to be Linux because of superior remote control. I actually need to be able to eject the optical disk tray remotely for him. It is I who am comfortable with Linux.