Htpc/Xbmc

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Hey Im going to take Xbmc for a spin. I have an old z87 mobo and a intel celeron g1850(using spare pc parts)

My question is since i have an extra copy of windows 7 should I
Install windows 7 and then Xbmc
or
Should i run a stand alone version of say openelec and boot off a thumb drive?

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
It depends. If it's going to be XBMC/KODI only, using your own library of media stored locally, the latter is simpler, cleaner, and more efficient. If you plan recording broadcast TV/cable, Netflix, other media consumption options, light gaming, etc., those things can be done with Linux builds, but it tends to get complicated.

Also, will you be using the HD graphics in the Celeron, or a dedicated GPU? The iGPU should be fine for XBMC/KODI.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
It depends. If it's going to be XBMC/KODI only, using your own library of media stored locally, the latter is simpler, cleaner, and more efficient. If you plan recording broadcast TV/cable, Netflix, other media consumption options, light gaming, etc., those things can be done with Linux builds, but it tends to get complicated.

Also, will you be using the HD graphics in the Celeron, or a dedicated GPU? The iGPU should be fine for XBMC/KODI.

My media is stored on a nas (synology 1812+) Im using the Celeron HD graphics. I have a Dune media player so Im basically testing the waters out to see if i like it and if i am going to build or buy a media player later in the year. No gaming at all and my tv has a Netflix app. Sort of a test drive for now for just streaming hd movies from my nas.