HTPC vs. WD Live for my setup?

Dillsnik

Oct 18, 2012
I want to build a home audio/video system, and wondering how the best way to do this would be for my needs. I want to be able to stream via netflix amazon prime etc, but a big part will be playing downloaded local video, as well as a control station for my music.

I like the WD Live Hub bc it plays all file formats and works with attached storage, plus I don't have any apple products so an ATV probably wouldn't benefit me as much as if i did.

I also would love to be able to have all my media connected to my (soon to be owned) stereo system, and somehow use software interfaces off my laptop (or amazingly my droid) and be able to wake up in the morning and have it turn on a certain album of my choosing.

To incorporate the audio aspect of this, do i need to upgrade the WDlive to be a dedicated HTPC, or can is it possible to use the WDLive to also route my music to the receiver to play?

I'm not the most tech savvy, but defn not the least and could probably set up the networking part. but I've been mulling this idea over for half a month now and would love to make a decision which way to go with this idea already.

Thanks so much for any help!

EDIT: Using:

Samsung LN46C650L1F TV that is internet ready and i believe wifi built in? - http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN46C650L1FXZA-specs

Samsung BluRay Player - DLNA compatible and wifi ready - http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN46C650L1FXZA-specs

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The low ratings on that might worry me a bit. There are only a few reviews on NewEgg and they're also somewhat mixed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...me=Desktop-NAS

As for your other question, I'm not familiar enough with the WD LiveTV to know how good it is with playing audio like that. I'm a rather big fan of AirPlay stuff, but since you don't own any Apple products... that probably won't work so well for you. :p Although, it looks like you can do AirPlay with a few Android apps:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/features/1536216/best_airplay_apps_for_android.html

XBMC also has AirPlay support built in as does my receiver which automatically turns on when I send content to it.

Dillsnik

Oct 18, 2012
Yeah that NAS defn does get some mixed reviews. I've heard a lot of good things about synology so maybe that's a better brand to stick with.

What receiver do you have? i love the idea of it knows to turn on when you send something to it. will need to have that capability so stuff just doesn't need to stay on 24/7

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
I have yet to find one thing that will do everything I want it to.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, local network content including using My Movies metadata. OTA or clear-QAM (until it's gone) and DVR also. Throw in integrated Zune Pass and Bluray playback and it's impossible.

Edit: one thing in a cohesive simple manner.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
The WD will work fine for what you described and will be simpler (and cheaper) to set up and manage. The HTPC will give a lot more powerful in what it can do, but they are complex and the learning curve will be sizeable. You can start with the WD and if you ever go beyond it's capabilities, you can work on the HTPC then.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You can start with the WD and if you ever go beyond it's capabilities, you can work on the HTPC then.

There is one nice aspect to this route... it's not terribly expensive. If I remember correctly, the WD LiveTVs are only $100. If you end up needing more, you can always sell it and maybe recoup 60-70% of the cost (guesstimate).

Yeah that NAS defn does get some mixed reviews. I've heard a lot of good things about synology so maybe that's a better brand to stick with.

Unfortunately, I've never used a dedicated NAS, so I can't be too much help to you. If you want some advice specific to NAS units, consider either the Networking or Memory and Storage sub-forums. I'm not 100% sure which would be best.

What receiver do you have? i love the idea of it knows to turn on when you send something to it. will need to have that capability so stuff just doesn't need to stay on 24/7

Denon AVR-2112ci.

I've owned a few other Denon units (1609 and 1909), and my feelings are kind of mixed on the 2112. It's a great unit in regard to its normal AVR duties, but I'm not that pleased with its fancier networking capabilities. Sometimes, it simply disappears as an option from my AirPlay menu. It came back after I performed a firmware update, but I assume that's because it rebooted the AVR (it normally sits in an idle state). However, it's only ever disappeared on me twice so far, and I've owned it for... I think around a year now?

Keep in mind that the xx12 series is one generation old as the xx13 series is the latest model. The xx13 also supports overlaying the volume adjust GUI over 3D content on lower-end models; for the xx12 series, I think only the 2312 and above support it.