HTPC remote - FLIRC vs. Mele F10

qqsubs

Jan 23, 2014
I have OpenELEC/XBMC running on a laptop on an USB drive. I need a remote to go with it and was looking at either FLIRC or MeleF10 as remotes.

1. I'd like feedback/opinions on one vs. the other; Alternative sugegestions are also welcome. Both cost around $ 28 shipped.

http://flirc.tv/product/flirc/[FONT=&quot]
http://www.amazon.com/Mele-wireless-Keyboard-Control-Universal/dp/B0092KDSQW[/FONT]

2. Since Openelec is installed on an USB drive, will it cause problems when the laptop boots up for XBMC? If so, appreciate thoughts on working around it..

Thanks!

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
How about using a smartphone app? XBMC allows network-based control over their interface.

iOS
Android
Windows Phone

The only downside is that you have to reset the IP address when you change the network that the device is on. If you're planning on moving the device around or place it on a public wifi, this could be an issue.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
I may be a bit old-fashioned in this sense, but I don't really like the idea of smartphone apps as the primary means of controlling a computer/HTPC.

I've also looked at these two options, but haven't bit the bullet yet since I've got a wireless keyboard/trackball combo that works well enough for my needs. The Mele F10 looks pretty slick though.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
I would go with the Flirc. You can program it to work with any remote. I've had one for maybe two years and love it.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I would go with the Flirc. You can program it to work with any remote. I've had one for maybe two years and love it.

When you use it, do you have it simulate the standard MCE buttons? Or do you just make up your own button setup? (not sure if that makes sense)

For example, right now I have harmony remote that I am using with WinLIRC (I think, will have to check). In there I have to simulate an MCE, which for the most part is easy, but limiting especially because the harmony and WinLIRC software don't use exactly the same button names.

But back in the day I had an old Packard-bell/Compaq remote that I could program every button to do anything I wanted.

What remote are you using with Flirc?

OP: I would go with Flirc also, unless you really need an RF remote (like playing music throughout house). RF universal remotes are very expensive, and the MeleF10 looks a little limiting to me. Also my experience with air-mice is pretty poor.

Last edited:

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
When you use it, do you have it simulate the standard MCE buttons? Or do you just make up your own button setup? (not sure if that makes sense)

For example, right now I have harmony remote that I am using with WinLIRC (I think, will have to check). In there I have to simulate an MCE, which for the most part is easy, but limiting especially because the harmony and WinLIRC software don't use exactly the same button names.

But back in the day I had an old Packard-bell/Compaq remote that I could program every button to do anything I wanted.

What remote are you using with Flirc?

OP: I would go with Flirc also, unless you really need an RF remote (like playing music throughout house). RF universal remotes are very expensive, and the MeleF10 looks a little limiting to me. Also my experience with air-mice is pretty poor.

You don't need to simulate MCE controls it literally can use any IR signal.

I'm using a Harmony One with my setup. So what I did was pick a device I don't own like a Sony dvd player. then when I program Flirc a keyboard pops up then all you do is click on the key you want to program then press whatever button on the remote you want to use with it. This was done when Harmony didn't have a profile.

http://blog.flirc.tv/flirc-has-a-harmony-profile/

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You don't need to simulate MCE controls it literally can use any IR signal.

I'm using a Harmony One with my setup. So what I did was pick a device I don't own like a Sony dvd player. then when I program Flirc a keyboard pops up then all you do is click on the key you want to program then press whatever button on the remote you want to use with it. This was done when Harmony didn't have a profile.

http://blog.flirc.tv/flirc-has-a-harmony-profile/

Cool, I might have to switch receivers.