HTPC next to a floorstanding speaker bad idea?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I'm planning on building a HTPC with this case in mind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-196-_-Product

It will barely fit inside my TV stand based on the listed measurements, about 1/4 inch from touching the top shelf so that means push it in to get it all the way in since not enough clearance to lift it when it's inside my TV stand because of my fingers. I will be using and external hard drive for my media and an SSD for the operating system, however I might add an internal hard drive if I run out of space on my current external hard drive. If I place the HTPC next to my floorstanding speaker will data from the hard drive be deleted due to magnetic fields? Also what attracts me to this case is the looks and the included power supply. I have a spare power supply that's been used for about 4 years plus it fell on the floor and I haven't tested it out to see if it still works and I'm not sure if it's safe to still use if it fell on the tile floor from about 30 inches high .

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Personally I wouldn't get that option because it has a PSU included. Generally included PSU's are bad quality. The point of building an HTPC yourself is control. That means control in ensuring each part is quality.

As for HTPC next to Speaker. My HTPC is about 5-6 inches from my Floorstanding speaker. Never had thought to worry. I worry more about the vibrations actually.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
That PSU included is an Antec... made by Delta. You can take that for what it's worth. Chances are, in an HTPC role where demand should be very low, it'll be OK.

My HTPC is about 5-6 inches from my Floorstanding speaker
...as is mine. Never gave it a thought. That doesn't mean set the speaker right on the case... but unless you have some gargantuan magnets in your speakers, I don't see a problem.

Personally, the case looks a bit dated... but that's personal taste. Another case you might look at is the Fractal Core 1100, with almost identical dimensions; it's also half the price. Add a Corsair CX430 PSU on sale and you can beat the cost of the Antec.

OP, why an external HDD for media?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Well, I bought my 2TB external USB drive because I have a blu-ray player that does play back MKV files from a USB drive and I rather not have to have my PC turned on while using my blu-ray player to play MKV files. Also it was on sale at the time I bought it which would be cheaper than buying an internal 2TB and a separate external USB enclosure. However, I don't use my blu-ray player for that anymore because of too many limitations and use my PC with Kodi installed instead for that purpose. So I think my next hard drive will be a 6TB Western Digital Mainstream internal hard drive and I can always buy an external USB encloser if I ever want to convert it to an external USB drive. I think I'm going to go with either this:

http://www.frys.com/product/7947080?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

or the Antec ITX tower case I mentioned earlier if I decide to build a HTPC.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I still use my stand-alone Blu-Ray player once in a while, and it's my backup plan if the HTPC goes down...

Even a 3TB drive goes for under $100 these days... you can have your cake and eat it, too.

That other Antec case you linked is pretty nice! I'll have to keep that one in mind, too.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I don't like putting my hard drives in externals. Why? It's a lot of data. You drop it, knock it over, anything, and it's all gone.

Might I suggest this case as well?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811123173

A little more expensive, but you can hotswap your hard drives in. So you can buy an internal drive and just slide it in, or buy an external drive(they're usually cheaper and the same drive) take it apart and put it in.

But I've broken an external with 4TB on it once so I've learned my lesson. Never again.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1371-page1.html

Last edited: